Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love my VTR 250, but looking for alternative LAM approved naked commuter options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love my VTR 250, but looking for alternative LAM approved naked commuter options

I'm basically lazy, i've been riding my VTR 250 for ages to/from work daily. Its mostly peak hour freeway low speed lane splitting ^_^.

I'm not really interested in getting my full R licence, but am thinking about a bike upgrade.

I'm looking for a naked LAMS approved bike suited to daily freeway commutes. I've tried a few models so far: Yammie XJ6NL, Kawa ER6NL both were pretty good.
    Any thoughts on other options ? Note: Not interested in 'De-restricting' the bike.

Budget is flexible but second hand sub 9k would suit - This thread below was a very good starting point for me - thanks elb94

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...stions-166735/

Phatdoc

What are your complaints with the VTR250? Will give us something to go on with regards to bikes that may address said complaints...
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Thanks thro, mostly looking for a bit more power moving through traffic and also a bit more pace 100-120 km range. The VTR is great for low speed work in traffic but just looking for a bit more power when its needed.

Comment

Gs500 Suzuki
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

i have a GS 500 its great... does the speed your looking for easy... lams appoved.... great bike...

Comment

Gixxer thou muthafuckaaaaaaaa

Comment

How much longer till you can get your open license? Because if you're after more power you will be better off waiting till then, and then this thread becomes irrelevant. It will save you time and money.
              Originally posted by Skut
              ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

Duke 390 or MT-03 would be my picks.

Comment

Honda CB500F, PM me if interested.
                  euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Comment

Yamaha fz6r

Comment

DUCATI 695 OR 696 Im sure I have seen it on the Lams list. Just got to find one under $9k

oops just found the list and i believe its the Ducati 659 that is LAMS approved.
                      Last edited by TheMenace; 27-02-2014, 09:46 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

I owned a VTR and then a proper ER6n on my open class - don't be lazy and cut corners get your R's and get the derestricted one.....pretty sure they cost around the the same as the "L" ones anyways.

As for it being an upgrade - the ER was better in every way, don't have to wring it out at all for commuter speeds, fuel economy was the same, felt like a much more stable and safer bike.

04 Vtr to an 08 ER6n for less than a grand out of pocket to upgrade - less km's on the ER....choice was too easy really....

Comment

cb400

Comment

Get your Rs. It doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a Super Sports, here's something you might like:

2008 Triumph Speed Triple (1050)
                            Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

The ER6 is by all accounts a pretty awesome commuter bike. Also consider an SV650 - colleague has one, they sound pretty decent.

That said, if it was me, as above... i'd

- extract digit
                              - buy a CB900 hornet
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X