Fuel Leak tip for N00bs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leak tip for N00bs

Just thought I would share an experience that I had about a month ago, as a new rider that other new riders may be unaware of:

What basically happened is that I filled the tank right up,
    Rode a short distance and parked up.
    It was a very hot day and the heat had expanded the fuel up and out of the overflow value (put there as a safety feature if you ever stack it I guess)
    Fuel was pissing out of a small black tube at the bottom.
    I called road side assist and they told me about the overflow valve. They said that if I had gone even a short distance further before stopping then it probably wouldn't have happened.

Check out my video:

I showed this video to a more experienced rider who said that if it ever happens again, just pop the fuel cap to release the pressure, ride a short distance and lock it back in and you wont get the overflow.

My Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_B...SMXhyPlVsuievw

Just don't fill your tank past the catch in the tank opening (as per owners manual).

Problem: no more
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
      Just don't fill your tank past the catch in the tank opening (as per owners manual).

Problem: no more
      Or have a centre stand and also have no issues
      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
      Originally posted by Phildo
      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
      Originally posted by filbert
      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

or have a bike that drains your fuel tank within an hour and a half, that works great for me
        Rest in Peace

Comment

Pull a massive minga immediately after each refuelling... any excess fuel will drain magically.
          I'm pretty sure this instruction is in your manual.

S.
          Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Check your fuel cap's breather as well as the owners manual.

*instead of the American scourge of the talky riding filming thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 Aussie View Post
              Just thought I would share an experience that I had about a month ago, as a new rider that other new riders may be unaware of:

What basically happened is that I filled the tank right up,
              Rode a short distance and parked up.
              It was a very hot day and the heat had expanded the fuel up and out of the overflow value (put there as a safety feature if you ever stack it I guess)
              Fuel was pissing out of a small black tube at the bottom.
              I called road side assist and they told me about the overflow valve. They said that if I had gone even a short distance further before stopping then it probably wouldn't have happened.

Check out my video:

I showed this video to a more experienced rider who said that if it ever happens again, just pop the fuel cap to release the pressure, ride a short distance and lock it back in and you wont get the overflow.

My Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_B...SMXhyPlVsuievw
              do you know what it means if it randomly dribbles out a few drops here and there ?
              its coming out of the fuel overflow pipe but I never overfill fill the tank, reckon could be condensation but what do you reckon ?

Comment

Originally posted by PV View Post
                do you know what it means if it randomly dribbles out a few drops here and there ?
                its coming out of the fuel overflow pipe but I never overfill fill the tank, reckon could be condensation but what do you reckon ?
                have a look at the under side of your fuel cap, the 500's have a totally removable push activated lock when you close it, right? is there any damage or tears or whatever in the rubber seal. when you push it locked is it clicking firmly in to place.

there could be a chance if the rubber seal isn't sealing then some vapour, or splash could escape and accumulate in the outer catch area where the overflow drain is ?
                I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Working...
                X