Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Chain and Sprockets for my twofiddy rar-rar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chain and Sprockets for my twofiddy rar-rar?

Looks like i'm going to have to get a new chain for my bike, (91 cbr250rr) which also means new sprockets (or does it? though from my understanding old sprockets wear new chains down badly etc etc so best to stick with new everything)

anyway, here's my questions,
    1, ballpark figure of how much this should cost me (looking at getting some quotes now and booking it in soon, but your input so I know I'm not getting ripped off/too good to be true)
    2, what places would you recommend, I live in ellenbrook but don't mind traveling within reason (though am I right in assuming this could be done relatively quickly, eg drop it in, go for a walk/to the shops etc, come back and can ride home?)
    3, chain size, I hear many people upgrade their chains and the RR's does look kinda dinky, but would it make a noticeable differance, price too? this is assuming it can be done, of course
    4, somewhat related to the last question, sprocket sizes, might be an idea to try something different? anyone recommend anything for the 250RR in particular? i've heard it's popular to increase/decrease a tooth for a bit more acceleration, pros/cons?

thanks

Originally posted by sanic_sloth View Post
    Looks like i'm going to have to get a new chain for my bike, (91 cbr250rr) which also means new sprockets (or does it? though from my understanding old sprockets wear new chains down badly etc etc so best to stick with new everything)

Really depends on the age/condition of said chain? Sometimes if the chain has only been on a short time you can get away with the old sprockets but yes generally a new chain on old sprockets will ruin the chain and vice versa

anyway, here's my questions,
    1, ballpark figure of how much this should cost me (looking at getting some quotes now and booking it in soon, but your input so I know I'm not getting ripped off/too good to be true)
    2, what places would you recommend, I live in ellenbrook but don't mind traveling within reason (though am I right in assuming this could be done relatively quickly, eg drop it in, go for a walk/to the shops etc, come back and can ride home?)
    3, chain size, I hear many people upgrade their chains and the RR's does look kinda dinky, but would it make a noticeable differance, price too? this is assuming it can be done, of course
    4, somewhat related to the last question, sprocket sizes, might be an idea to try something different? anyone recommend anything for the 250RR in particular? i've heard it's popular to increase/decrease a tooth for a bit more acceleration, pros/cons?

thanks
    The hardest part I reckon will be finding a supplier seeing as the RR was never sold in the US or Europe AFAIK so a lot less availability
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

http://www.motorcycleaccessoriesaust...d-sprocket-kit
      Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Its easy and cheap,
        swap to 520 conversion,
        JT sprockets, VTR250 14T front,
        whole lot of options for rear sizes (XR250 rear from memory.)

Sticky threads to hold your hand on both cbr250.com and 2fiftycc.com

Calculate your ratios on gearing commander.

Stock 428 is 17T front and 52 or 54 rears,
        BOTH are way too high..
        The ratio is all you need to convert what you'd want with a VTR 520 14t.

Ive orderd special 428 fronts, but that's for racing and its expensive, nobody does them off the shelf.

Comment

alright, well I did get a quote from one place, little over $300 to get it done there, that would be stock for stock.

now for the 520 conversion, I'd be quite interested in, however, when I've cleaned the chain and let it spin on the stand, I did notice the speedo shows that the bike is moving at whatever speed the rear wheel is turning..
          so if i swapped to a non-stock configuration, my speedo would be out, correct? So I'd also need to change that/make sure its working correctly

other than that, would the change in size of the sprockets need anything else modified? I notice there's some plastic(?) thing along the swing arm that I think the chain can rub against?
          pic of said plastic piece, some sort of chain guide i guess?
          http://i.imgur.com/N6A88dO.jpg
          also pic of rear sprocket, to show what it looks like, white stuff is the chain lube. not uhhh..
          http://i.imgur.com/8pbGhN1.jpg

thanks for all the replies btw

Comment

http://cbr250.com/forums/maintenance...explained.html

http://cbr250.com/forums/maintenance/

Google is great eh.

Comment

alright, well I did get a quote from one place, little over $300 to get it done there, that would be stock for stock.

now for the 520 conversion, I'd be quite interested in, however, when I've cleaned the chain and let it spin on the stand, I did notice the speedo shows that the bike is moving at whatever speed the rear wheel is turning..
              so if i swapped to a non-stock configuration, my speedo would be out, correct? So I'd also need to change that/make sure its working correctly

other than that, would the change in size of the sprockets need anything else modified? I notice there's some plastic(?) thing along the swing arm that I think the chain can rub against?
              pic of said plastic piece, some sort of chain guide i guess?
              http://i.imgur.com/N6A88dO.jpg
              also pic of rear sprocket, to show what it looks like, white stuff is the chain lube. not uhhh..
              http://i.imgur.com/8pbGhN1.jpg

thanks for all the replies btw
              oh my god please clean your motorcycle as well before you do it
              I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                oh my god please clean your motorcycle as well before you do it
                - yeah I'll clean it as best I can, though decades of brake dust is rather difficult

Comment

- yeah I'll clean it as best I can, though decades of brake dust is rather difficult
                  The idea is to not let it get like this.

Comment

Working...
                  X