Advice and Questions about trying RE Bikes to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice and Questions about trying RE Bikes to buy

Hello ! It's my first post on Perth Street Bikes, I'm looking for some advice and/or answers to some questions below. Been reading through the forum for a while now, some very good info here I am currently on my learners for my RE licence and really enjoying being on a bike.

I want to start sitting on some bikes to find out what bike type feels best for me. I'm only looking to buy a cheap 2nd hand bike to start as I'll probably drop it at some point, and I'd really rather save the money towards a big bike in a couple of years. Sort of restricted in price due to child support and living costs but looking around the $1000 - $2000 mark for my first bike.

Does anyone know of a good 2nd hand dealer or bike shop where they sell multiple bike brands I could go and check out? Obviously not going to rid them until I get my licence, but would like to check seating and bar reach etc.

I'm currently seeing a lot of Kawasaki GPX and ZZR 250's going on the market. If they happen to be the right type for me, is there anything I should look out for when looking them over?

My training bike is currently a Suzuki Inazuma 250. Feels like a big bike and handles very well. Any bike suggestions similar to that but cheaper to buy ?

Also if I buy private, what is the socially accepted way of picking up or trying a bike if still learning ? Can I ask the person to shadow me while I try it out if they have another bike? Is it ok to ask them to shadow me home if i buy it? Of course I'd be happy to haggle less for the bike or throw some fuel money in for the shadowing. Any advice?

Hoping to pass my PDA which is booked for early April. And when a suitable bike pops up jump on it ! Thanks in advance !
    I told my daughter I am going for my bike license. She told me not to die....
    -- Got my licence. Now she's proud of me

Originally posted by Jussie3au View Post
    love your signature. I am also on learners, and get this response from my wife and friend hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Cheong View Post
      love your signature. I am also on learners, and get this response from my wife and friend hahaha
      Haha yes, I've had a few friends immediately after being told, ask me if I have my will in order...

Comment

You seem far too thoughtful and logical for for someone buying their first bike! Just kidding, it's refreshing to see.

The kwaka's are fairly indestructable though they could be starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Re: letting a learner riding an R-E bike I'm selling - personally I wouldn't as the risk factor is definitely there and no one wants to deal with an insurance claim. I'd offer to pillion them or give them the details of a mechanic if they wanted to do a mechanical check. Alternatively, go with the money, hand it over and tell them if you bin it you buy it. Of course, ensure the seller isn't dodgy.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha yes, I've had a few friends immediately after being told, ask me if I have my will in order...
        Your friends need some educating.

Comment

Go to as many bike shops you can and sit on theirs, they dont mind...they will try and sell you something so ask them what their best deal will be once you are ready....remember though talk is cheap...dont be surprised if the great deal they told you was in the offing suddenly ends up costing more.

Depending on where you are Vic Park bike shops have quiet a few different models as do Savage Suzuki in Midland. The latter have always been a good dealer to deal with on the two occasions I have bought bikes from them but it was a few years ago now. I wont mention a dealer who never used to move on price as it may be different now.

One other thing take a mate or other person who knows what they are looking at along when ready to buy if possible and dont let the sales guy separate you from the pack so to speak.
          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Any shop selling bikes will let you sit on their bikes and in return you will get the hard sell of why whatever bike you are on is just what you need. I don't think you will find much at a dealers between the $1,000 - $2,000 range though.
            And no, it is highly unlikely anyone would let an L rider take their bike for a spin.
            Good luck.
            Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

Re: dealers - not sure many would stock bikes for 1-2K? Most likely would be be private sales? Not sure as I'm not looking at LAMS bikes but feel it'd be more a private market at that price.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far !

I'm pretty sure I'd be stuck in the Private sales, which is fine. I thought the RE Learners - no test ride would probably also hold true but worth asking. I'm most likely to bring a friend that has their licence already if I buy before I pass the PDA.

Also, I want a bike that "Back Friendly" as I've been told some of the sportier bikes can be hard on the lower back when on them for a bit. My lower back has some muscle strain issues that I dont have a problem with on the Suzuki I'm learning on.

Always happy to hear more opinions!

Comment

here are a few places that do stock older/cheaper bikes of the type that privately may fall into your range.
                  All bikes in north perth
                  The motorcycle pit stop in mt lawly (maybe? their stock can be small)
                  Cannington motorcycles
                  And theres a 2nd hand bike shop whos name i dont know opposite the vic park hotel
                  Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                    Your friends need some educating.
                    I don't think their advise is wrong...just their real-world knowledge on the topic is probably nil
                    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
                    #158...RIP James Thompson

Originally posted by Ryanoceros
                    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Comment

Basically, I think your options are very limited at that price as nobody is going to give away a decent bike. If you do get one, it would be unlikely it would be up to standard and you will probably be up for extra costs to bring it up to standard. Choose carefully.
                      Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by =Maz= View Post
                        I don't think their advise is wrong...just their real-world knowledge on the topic is probably nil
                        Yes, pretty much. As a rider, your sense of roadcraft is so much more highly tuned in ways that non-bike riders will never understand - and you need to be highly tuned due to other road users not being so highly tuned themselves because metal cage. But you understand that. OP will soon get that, if they haven't already. A large amount of the risk factor is about catering for/making up for the inadequacies of other road users rather you necessarily being the sole cause of one's demise. That's where a bit of the educating comes in I was referring to.

Riding a motorbike: "It's not a death wish, it's about living". Interpret living in the physical, breathing sense, or the feeling alive sense. Both work.

Comment

Ninja 250 -same as zzr250 different dress
                          Honda vtr250, CBR250R -good bikes
                          Honda cbf250 - good, slightly under powered
                          suzuki GS500 -older model but good

edit: cbr125 -OK but very under powered.

most of these have a neutral seating position which is ideal for back problems.

Go to a dealer and sit on them.
                          As a learner Test rides with a shadow will be the dealers discretion.
                          some do, some don't

private sale, possible but probably not depending sellers attitude

Comment

I'll preface this by saying that I sell bikes at a dealership and we don't have anything in the ball park of your price range (I'm not sure of any dealerships who will).

My advice would be; if you're planning on spending $2K on a bike, save a little longer to try and raise $3K. There are some great deals to be found around 3. I've often found that secondhand bikes around that price point have been in an exponentially better condition than bikes in the $1-2K price range.

Obviously there are exceptions.

Good luck and ride safe!

Comment

Thanks for the info so far !

I'm most likely to bring a friend that has their licence already if I buy before I pass the PDA.

Always happy to hear more opinions!
                              This is a good idea. Make sure your friend is mechanically knowledgable too, to spot any problems the bike might have. I'm sure there are people on here who will help (myself included if you're buying local to me )

Comment

Working...
                              X