Advice for those trying to pass R-E Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for those trying to pass R-E Test

My instructor made me write out everything I learnt after every lesson so I thought I'd share my knowledge with anyone looking to pass their R-E Test for the first time... Here goes:

There are 3 areas you will be assessed on. They are General Riding, Controlled Stops and U-Turns/O-Turns.

U or O-Turns[/b][/u]
    You will be asked to perform U or O turns (same thing!). You may be asked to do 3, you could be asked to do 20... Keep going until the assessor is happy! Stay in 1st gear, at walking pace only. Use your rear brake and clutch and keep your head up. I guarantee it is 100% easier to perform these when you look where you want to go. You can turn your indicator off after each turn if you wish but its easier to keep it on and you won't be marked down for it if you do.
    Perform like so:
    MILO, take off, travel approx 15 metres (or however much space you are given), MILO and U/O-Turn, repeat. Remember when you stop to put you left foot down.

I had my test at Midland and my test took 20 minutes top. Remember to be confident, not cocky and remember to breathe!

Two common places you may be taken if your test is at Midland is Wilkins Street in Bellvue or Railway Ave near Toodyay Rd in Midland. I was taken to Railway Ave to perform both my controlled stop and my U-Turns there. Be aware of School Zones depending on what time and which route your taken and remember to indicate when merging if your taken up Lloyd Street coz I think there's about 2...

I think that's just about it so good luck and hope to see you out there!

Jo

Sage advice for those new to riding. Top work
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Sage advice for those new to riding. Top work
      [/b]
      Thanks, I figured I was freakin out before my test and I couldn't find any real info on how to pass so I'd help others in need...

God I'm such a good samaritan! hahahahaha... not...

Comment

and remember to breathe!

I think that's just about it so good luck and hope to see you out there!

Jo
        [/b]
        Yep, very good advice - so many times when I was learning that I tensed up severely due to the fact I forgot to breathe - my Instructor would say "Relax and breathe...." when doing figure 'O's - and I would then realise I was holding my breath all the way through... after relaxing and breathing everything came good
        I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

Do head checks when changing lane, changing tyre track, going over railway tracks and at traffic lights. (I got done for not checking at Traffic Lights...)
          [/b]
          Should be looking at all side streets also.

Comment

Awesome concise notes Jo. I'll be sure to read over these before my R class test.

Comment

Yep, very good advice - so many times when I was learning that I tensed up severely due to the fact I forgot to breathe - my Instructor would say "Relax and breathe...." when doing figure 'O's - and I would then realise I was holding my breath all the way through... after relaxing and breathing everything came good
              [/b]
              omg me 2!!! hahaha!! i think i almost passed out a couple of times coz the breathing part just wasnt happening... i was concentrating too hard haha

Should be looking at all side streets also.
              [/b]
              good point, i forgot to write that down, i sorta just did it automatically! Thanks!

Awesome concise notes Jo. I'll be sure to read over these before my R class test.
              [/b]
              hope it helps! good luck!

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one with "breathing difficulties". I did my test at Midland too. Was stressed about the figure Os but did them OK. The only comment from the examiner was "You know, you are allowed to breathe!"

Comment

get yourself a CB250 for the test too!

Bought a ZZR and was practicing on that. Its a mad bike to ride when you have your license. But to do your test.....use an instructors CB.

I couldn do O turns for crap on my bike, went for a quick lesson with the instructor before and used his CB for the test and was like a pro. Bike made a huge difference.

Also had a go on a gpx a while back and that was alright for them too.

Comment

I couldn do O turns for crap on my bike, went for a quick lesson with the instructor before and used his CB for the test and was like a pro. Bike made a huge difference.
                    [/b]
                    had the same problem, couldnt practice on my zzr coz its so hard to do u turns... zzr's are pretty to look at but arn't good for intricate stunts me thinks...

i think its coz the CB has better turning range and practically rides itself.

CB250 is deffinatly the best bike to bike to use for a test!

Comment

"zzr's are pretty to look at but arn't good for intricate stunts"[/b]
                      That depends on how long you've ridden,

How many ZZR's you've ridden,

AND WHETHER OR NOT THAT ZZR IS SOMEONE ELSES!

Comment

haha ok sorry, what i shooda sed was, as a new rider, zzr's arn't good for intricate stunts etc...

and the bike is mine and i stil cant do good u turns on it... (neither cood my instructor)

Comment

[/b]
                          You must have had Dave? Always telling me to drop my shoulders, relax and breathe....
                          When I did my test, assessor said he would let me do a couple of O's to practise, then to nod my head when ready for them to be counted....well...after about 6 O's I yelled out at him, "Is that enough"???? To which he replied, "I'm still waiting for you to nod your head"!! Did the next 3 O's nodding my head!!!!
                          Why be difficult?
                          Put some effort into it and be IMPOSSIBLE !

Comment

(Both Dave and David would say that to me about remembering to breathe lol)
                            I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

You forgot 2 key points

Dont wear full leathers and sparkly knee sliders .. they hate the sparks as you drag your knee around corners

and

Rolling endos arent your friends

Other than that .... top work 5 thumbs up
                              Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Working...
                              X