I had my first lesson...and I've got a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had my first lesson...and I've got a problem

Yesterday arvo had a quick session with Alert Motorcycle School at the joondalup honda.

It was my first time on a bike and I noticed straight away my left leg was very tight at the hip. I'm only twenty years old but i'm as flexible as glass. I thought cb250's were meant to suit everybody :S My instructor suggested the pain growing in my side was probably just my body working muscles I've never used before... but I've dislocated my right shoulder a few times and I know what it feels like just before it pops out and my left leg feels like its about to pop out at the hip every time I put my foot up on the peg.

Trying to wheel the bike around while sitting on it is just as scary. As is kicking the stand up.

Am I an extreme pussy? Is there any hope? Is stretching an option? Am I alone in this situation?

I get free physio where I work so I'll be asking him..but if anyone has experienced similar pain initially give me a heads up to reassure me I'm not a 20yr old geriatric.

Cant say I experienced that first up. Doesnt sound normal at all. I get similar discomfort occassionally after a long day in the saddle but ever straight up. Id certainly be having that looked at. Best of luck with it
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

It's something you just need tog et used to. Same way lots of riders get sore wriests until they get accustomed.

Perhaps it's a good sign for you to do some stretching and regain some flexibility. I recommend yoga, because you can usually spend most of the lesson staring at a nice arse.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Nope, never experienced that.
        Only get sore wrists sometimes.
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

yeah well my instructor suggested I buy a hyosung for my first bike as they are for bigger frames... I'm not fat..just 6"1.

This is coming from a bloke operating his business out of a honda bike shop... Had my heart set on a matt black vtr aswell..

Comment

I tried riding a cruiser a few weeks ago, and got huge pains in my thighs and hips from having to lift my legs so far forwards to reach the footboards. It's just not something I'm used to (and don't intend becoming used to).
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

my instructor suggested I buy a hyosung

Had my heart set on a matt black vtr aswell..[/b]
              definately go with what your heart's set on man. you'll love it to pieces.

you'll get used to the ergonomics of your/any bike soon enough. (most times)

Comment

And don't forget that for most bikes you can purchase aftermarket bars/clipons and footpegs/rearsets
                which will give you a level of adjustment. To some extent you can make a bike fit you better.
                Stu
                Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

I recommend yoga, because you can usually spend most of the lesson staring at a nice arse. [/b]

Nope, never experienced that.
                  Only get sore wrists sometimes.[/b]
                  lol

Comment

yeah well my instructor suggested I buy a hyosung for my first bike as they are for bigger frames... I'm not fat..just 6"1.

This is coming from a bloke operating his business out of a honda bike shop... Had my heart set on a matt black vtr aswell..[/b]
                    man you will seriously get bagged out for buying a hyo and this comment alone will most likely stir shit but they are one of the best bikes to learn on if you are tall im 6'7 and fit on it nicely they look good sound good and the only people that bag them out are the ones that dont ride them i gave mine so much shit as did another tall person on this forum (mirkz) and they out lasted both of us i clocked up over 20,000 on mine before i got taken out by a ute
                    Dont Fight with utes while on your bike it hurts

Comment

Perhaps it's a good sign for you to do some stretching and regain some flexibility. I recommend yoga, because you can usually spend most of the lesson staring at a nice arse. [/b]
                      +1

Pete if your only 20 and have no flexibility you want to look into that, its not going to get any better with age.

Comment

I had the same problem my first lesson, I'm about 6'5 maybe 6'6 and I learnt (and did my test) on a VTR250.. I found just standing up on the pegs a little and moving my position on the seat while I was actually riding (both feet on the pegs) it went away. I think I may have felt it again on a couple of lessons, but just moving a little and it went away.. After my first lesson I thought I was going to have serious issues too, but you'll be fine I think

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barfridge @ Oct 7 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                          Perhaps it&#39;s a good sign for you to do some stretching and regain some flexibility. I recommend yoga, because you can usually spend most of the lesson staring at a nice arse. [/b]
                          +1

Pete if your only 20 and have no flexibility you want to look into that, its not going to get any better with age.
                          [/b][/quote]

+ 70 billion (who cares if you need it or not.. totally worth it, purely for staring at a nice arse a few days a week )

Comment

I am 6&#39; 1" and 95 kg. I bought a VTR blue one and it is fine size-wise. I have been riding it for two years, so if you want a VTR get the VTR.

Tim.
                            sigpic

Comment

from my experience and by the sounds of it almost everyone else&#39;s it&#39;s fairly common ( I think that being stressed/tense has something to do with it ), for me once i started to relax, got more seat time and confidence it generally went away. and as for bike the go with what your heart is set on ,if you don&#39;t you may regret it for a long time,
                              I don't really care, it's just a sig!!!

:mage:

Comment

Working...
                              X