Shadowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowing

Has anyone looked into what is expected (legally) for someone to shadow, beyond the licence requirements?

Are you talking duty of care, or legal liability or something?
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Duty of care
      How many learners can you take out at once?
      How close to the learner do you have to be?

Comment

# of learners is a grey area, nobody has a definite answer. I know riding schools have done ride days with 1 instructor for every 4 learners, but is that because they're instructors?

And you need to be within sight of the learner, otherwise they should pull over and wait for you.
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Yeah I recently started a similar post HERE

Comment

The reason I ask is that I have been requested to shadow a rider on Sunday's ride. I want to know what I have to do as a shadow (I have done it one on one both here and in UK) in a group ride.
            So, if I have to be in view of the L plater, if I am in a group, I need to be basically the next in the line to them?
            If I see the L plater doing something which I think is dangerous, how do I go about pulling him off to one side, if we are being followed by a pack of riders?

Comment

Well technically yes, but in a group ride doesn't always happen or isn't always practical.

Sunday's ride is split into two or three groups, so you'll be in the last group to ride out in the split sections.

Comment

I am interested if there are any written rules for the learner or the shadow? Most of us shadows are doing it to give someone a hand, if it is stated that you must do something, then surely its immaterial of whether you are in a group or alone, otherwise you are actually doing a dis-service?

Comment

Never seen anything anywhere, someone might be able to dig out an obscure Road Rule somewhere

HIHO where are you????? we peeped you last night

Comment

I contacted the local licensing department, and they said:

It is illegal not to have 1 shadow for each L plater, the shadow must either be on the bike, in a side car or directly behind the L plater. A shadow has the same responsibility as a teacher does, they must hold a motorcycle licence for a min of 4yrs equal to or over the capacity of the L plater.
                    At present there is no law against L plate motor cyclist being out at night but they are in the processes of changing that.

I am not a legal type, but I have had a LOT of experience with HSE/ OHS and people like that. I am concerned that by not following guidelines we are accidentally endangering the L plater, the shadow, those following the L plater, not to mention licence revoking, etc, etc.
                    If there is no chance of any of the afore mentioned, then cool, but if what the licencing guy said is right, then we need to re-think how we shadow.
                    Last edited by Incognito; 10-10-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

^^^^^
                      must be nice to be colourful but cannot read when using the blue screen

kthnxs

Comment

Bumpety bump

Comment

Oh yay, they're changing it so learners can't ride in the dark?

I'm sure that will do wonderful things for their ability to clock up hours after work when there's actually people available to help them out...

Not to mention getting no prior riding experience in the dark before being cut loose.

akeracat: doesn't work with the red theme either, but if you select the text in the post you can read it

edit:
                          AS to obligations: I believe it would be up to the learner in question to ensure that they fulfil the obligations of their learners permit. If they don't I'm pretty sure you'd be legally in the clear - whilst they'd be pinged for contravening the terms of their permit, if that's what you're concerned about.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Obviously, the licence and the condition of the learners bike is up to the learner, that isn't what is my concern.
                            I don't see any hard and fast rules or guidelines on the shadow's role. The licencing guy termed it as supervising the rider..
                            Obviously as there have been a number of threads asking these questions, it isn't something which has been dealt with or answered fully...
                            If the licencing guy is correct, and it is one shadow per rider and you basically have to be next to the learner you are shadowing, then at least there is clarity of the role...

Comment

Ahh ok, i just read into this a bit:

I am not a legal type, but I have had a LOT of experience with HSE/ OHS and people like that. I am concerned that by not following guidelines we are accidentally endangering the L plater, the shadow, those following the L plater, not to mention licence revoking, etc, etc.
                              Yes, by the letter of the law, the group rides are probably technically illegal in some aspects. However as far as supervision goes, one could certainly argue that there's plenty of supervision.

If you're just out with a learner I think it would be up to the cop's discretion as to whether you were providing adequate supervision - because as you say, I don't think there *are* any hard rules for it (the guy from licensing should know otherwise) - you need to be able to adapt to traffic conditions and if there were specific rules you'd probably end up breaking them when some idiot in a cage decides he wants the space between you and your learner anyway.

They could make a bunch of rules up like "must maintain no more than 10m seperation", etc but I doubt it would be feasible to obey or enforce.

2c...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X