Leaning the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning the bike

Riding to work on Friday morning last week I was two turns away from work when I turned left and leant over so far I scrapped my left toe on the road surface. Took about 3mm off the sole of my boot. I was laughing my head off cos I never planned it to happen. I was disappointed because I didn't mean to do it, it just happened. Not saying it is a bad thing though. I thought I was hanging my boot lower than normal but nope it was on the peg as always.

Anyway riding to work this morning turning right, bike leant over, bang goes the right toe. Again same thing, disappointment cos I wasn't planning on doing it, it just happened. When I actually set out to do it I back out and don't go half as far.

I am proud of my wee self for leaning it over. I guess the less I think about it the easier it is.

Just thought I'd tell the world of my proud little moment lol
    build a bridge and get over it you twat

well done. try sitting the balls of your feet on the pegs and then get the hero bars to scrape. thats fun
    Originally posted by kyliejane
    benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
    Originally posted by harns
    Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

^^ whs.

when not changing gears, you should really have your toes well out of the way, and put the front of your feet (ball, toes, whatever) on the peg.

Otherwise, not only will you scrape your feet way early in normal riding - but as soon as you go to turn left up a steep hill, you'll get caught out

(yes, that's from my noob(ier) days )
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Just teach yourself not to stab at the rear brake with your foot if you have to stop suddenly, I have seen this when someone first tried to ride with there feet up.

Comment

^^^^^ ive seen something similar first hand, and i swear it wasnt me before i learnt how to use the brakes. But i did the same thing, scraped the edge of my boot doing an unbelievably sharp u-turn. but again, put the balls of ur feet on the pegs. i feel it gives me a better position for turning cos i can push down on the appropriate peg to help turn.
          I love riding, especially yamamas

Comment

Put the balls of your feet on the pegs, dont hang them over by your heel.
            Get off the bike more, unless you are seriously hammering, you shouldnt ever have to lean like that. Shift your weight.

Congratulations on the removal of your chicken strips though dude. Chicken strips always give the haters something to point and laugh at, not having them is always more impressive and fun.
            The Twitter

Comment

Yeah, just ask jake about cornering.

Comment

Exactly! One can only learn when one has made so many mistakes as I have

Seriously though, this is an internet forum, about bikes, where people get info, and advice, and we all become better riders for it (hopefully). I'm just trying to contribute.
                The Twitter

Comment

Funnily enough, due to racing on the track, I spend a lot of time analysing my riding technique, body position, etc, trying to make sure that I don't lean the bike over & touch my feet down, if I do I'm doin summat wrong; getting the knee down is also only used as I guide as to how far over the bike is (unless summat goes 'pear shaped' & I need the knee to keep from loosing the bike).

That said Resist is right 'bout the body weight thang.

Remember, the further over the bike the less grip you ultimately have due to the force vectors acting on the tyres, pushing your weight through the pegs helps alleviate this to an extent. The more vertical the bike the better it will react to the application of power or brakes. The reason racers get off the bike so much is to allow the bike to be more vertical (tho addmittedly it doesn't look like it much when Stoner gets 70 degree lean angles at Laguna Seca).

After all this it's still fun
                  .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

oh yeah I agree about shifting the weight, getting off the seat and all, that is what I do and I found cornering so much easier since doing it especially roundabouts. must try to make the balls of my feet stay on the pegs though. I wasn't intentionally leaning the bike over that far though and after watching a few vids on youtube it has made it easier.
                    build a bridge and get over it you twat

Comment

Its all experience its what make motorcycles fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X