Ride On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride On

Given I only passed my test yesterday, one of the assessors thought I might have an interest in a new DVD we will be giving out to learners. The stupid thing would have to be that apparently it's only to be given out to those who haven't passed their test.

Since I've passed my test, and am subsequently a perfect rider in the eyes of the Department, no longer in need of any additional material ... I was curious as to whether or not anyone wants to check it out.

I haven't had the time to look at it thus far and, to be honest, right now the only thing I really want to do is wear away at my tyres.

Given there's so little information relating to bike skills readily available to the general public, and there's a current influx of learner bike riders, I'd have to say I'm not the happiest chappy about anything being only for those who fail.

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
    Given I only passed my test yesterday, one of the assessors thought I might have an interest in a new DVD we will be giving out to learners. The stupid thing would have to be that apparently it's only to be given out to those who haven't passed their test.

Since I've passed my test, and am subsequently a perfect rider in the eyes of the Department, no longer in need of any additional material ... I was curious as to whether or not anyone wants to check it out.

I haven't had the time to look at it thus far and, to be honest, right now the only thing I really want to do is wear away at my tyres.

Given there's so little information relating to bike skills readily available to the general public, and there's a current influx of learner bike riders, I'd have to say I'm not the happiest chappy about anything being only for those who fail.
    Joseph, Ride On isn't just given to those that fail, I was given it when I went and passed my Learners several weeks ago.

Comment

Which centre? It wouldn't be the first time a centre has used their resources in a completely different manner to what they've been told given it simply doesn't make sense.

Good on them.

Comment

Which centre? It wouldn't be the first time a centre has used their resources in a completely different manner to what they've been told given it simply doesn't make sense.

Good on them.
        An assessor outside the Armadale centre gave it to me after I commented on his bike.

Comment

yeah down at Joondalup we have them but not sure if the guys give them out a whole lot. I took one home a couple weeks ago and had a look. its not the most interesting thing to watch but has a few good things in it but most of it your instructor should have taught you so good to review but if you have just been having lessons probably not that relevant

Comment

Originally posted by kezza View Post
            yeah down at Joondalup we have them but not sure if the guys give them out a whole lot. I took one home a couple weeks ago and had a look. its not the most interesting thing to watch but has a few good things in it but most of it your instructor should have taught you so good to review but if you have just been having lessons probably not that relevant
            Most instructional DVDs aren't exactly the most interesting watch. But, given the only other resource we really provide is a brief mention in our Drive Safe books (Which we're way overdue for new ones), anything is good.

Comment

They gave me one at the Morley center when i applied for my L's.
              Good idea giving them out if you ask me. Picked up on some tips and things to watch out for even before going out on a lesson. They should give them out to everyone. Dvds cost nothing to make these days.

Comment

i have watched this video it's brilliant. recommend it to anyone, learner or not.

Comment

i got given one by my uncle
                  She's not hot enough to be a cougar...

Comment

where do i get one?
                    sigpic
                    2008 ZX14 SE
                    'Prowl'

Comment

Far as I know all licensing centres have them. Asking should be enough.

I have a spare, but I don't know if I'm going to be going on any group rides for a while to meet up.

Comment

They should make it standard issue on getting your learners, it helped me when i was doing my learners.
                        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

i work at Strathfield in Leederville so the licencing centres around the corner. thats where i got my l's but they never mentioned anything about a dvd. i'll try to get in there on lunch tomorrow
                          sigpic
                          2008 ZX14 SE
                          'Prowl'

Comment

The thing i hate about not talking to/with someone you dont know and/or understand their typing tone (as opposed to in person tone) is lots can be lost in translation/interpretation further more body language is account able for more than 1/2 of what makes up communication so i'll tread carefukky in repsonse yo your comments...:

hopefully this is sarcasm or a poor choice of words, you not only come across as green (young/lacking in worldy experience) you seem somewhat arrogant.
                            Now that my be a case of the pot calling the kettle black coming from me, but it stands none the less.

Thats great, but once again - not having time and "to be honest", 1+2=3 or in this case green, arroganat and also ignorant.
                            I have been a road user for the better part of 300,000km's have driven a myriad of vehicles and still to this day am learning and always will be. The worst thing you can do is say that "one is perfect" and no room for improvement. If that were the case there would be no such thing as racing because there would be a bunch of perfect riders following eachother around a track, all on equal pole because there is no room for improvment... etc etc etc

In regards to this:
                            Given there's so little information relating to bike skills
                            you said in a previous post that you wouldnt be coming along to any group rides for a while....
                            Ahh, where do you think the wealth of knowledge on any given subject matter is?, in books?, on DVD's, on the net?
                            hell no its in person from someone who is an expert (or second best, experienced - as is so many of the riders whom attend group rides) in the field.

Summation:
                            I didnt write this to bag you out, i dont know you and as i said about communication and tone - i could be miles off, so this is intended as CONSTRUCTIVE critacism.
                            Ride with someone(s) who have more experience than you , that way your skills and knowledge will grow far quicker/faster than otherwise able to by yourself or from a book/dvd etc. Secondly the peoson would be able to tell you what you are doing wrong - YES WRONG, its not a bad thing we all learn bad habbits... Hell i took two lessons and passed my test in 10mins, but i was an experienced road user - that didnt stop me from deciding to "take another" lesson two weeks after i passed as it was already booked (lesson) and i figured i could get some feedback. In two weeks i had started a bad habit not checking my left shoulder all the time, this i think is a function of being a cager first and relying on the "give way to right" rule, but on a bike its self presevation 1st and foremost.

so, buntly shut up and listen to the Old boys/girl here - they know far more than you and I, thats the way life works.
                            "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                            "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

To start it's pretty safe to just assume a certain amount of sarcasm in most of what I write. I deliberately added "in the eyes of the Department" because it was far from my own view, entirely a statement on the view that some were being told to hand the books out only to those who failed. There's a lot of things to take in that can only be done with the right information, time, and on-road experience.

I hadn't had the time to look over it, in detail anyway, but what I'd seen looked useful. If I'm going to watch something like this, I'd rather do it when I'm going to be concentrating on it and not other little things is all. That said, I'd have rathered having it in the first place.

As for the not going to group rides for a while, it's due to personal circumstances, not because I feel I don't need them.

I agree with riding with those with more experience. Even just by driving behind other bikes in my car I've picked up some useful things. But there should be more free to the general public material. For everyone, not just riders. On Sunday after the Bindoon ride as I was finally heading home I was to the right of the far left lane and a car, rather than using the free lanes to my right, decided it was a neat idea to just drive straight past me in the same lane, crossing the solid white line on his left without indicating to do so. With more information, this would happen less.

So, bluntly, chillax.

Comment

Working...
                              X