What about this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about this??

Seems that the motorbike lessons are used to teach basic bike control.
    Now this could be done with any old clunker 250cc or there abouts to get the basic routine under control.
    This then would free up time and $$ for actual riding lessons and the safe way of participating in today's traffic.

So; we need a few older, no longer wanted small capacity bikes and mabe a bicycle or 2 as the priciple is the same in fugure 8 and tight turns.
    This then could be practiced /taught in a controlled envoirment where no speed is involved and participation is at OWN risk!
    What do we think or want to modify/alter/ condemm about this hairbrain idea.
    I as a young 5yr old in the very distant past was doing this "training" already and at 14 had complete bike control and expirience, this is what a fair few miss out on in the age of cars wall to wall.

In Sydney you have to complete a Stay up right course before you can get a learners permit.
    The course is over 2 days and they teach the basic bike controls, balance, throtle control, turning etc. This course is done on CB250's
    Once you pass this you can get your permit than you are out there on your own.(no shadows) and you can ride up to a 660 on your L's
    ( LAMB ) Learner approved motorbike.
    Maybe W.A should look at some thing like this.

Comment

Well maybe we could kick this into an higher gear and get the bike industry involved with bikes and they could be protected by some steel "fall over protection"
      The Stay uprightcourse seems to me making sense, the then sending them out on their own in Steak and Kidney traffic a bit ambitious.

Comment

I believe Honda do something along the same lines in Sydney.
        I think it is called H.A.R.T ( Honda Accredited Rider Training )
        I'm pretty sure that Aus Post send all there riders there too.

But I couldn't agree with you more about rider training in a controlled area.

Comment

This is how I see AHG's role, or at least, a contractor using their facility out near the airport. Currently I don't think this is done.

Comment

Vic does something similar. You have to do the course before "L's" are issued. Then the learner rides without shadows until they go for their licience proper. Also in Vic no Pillions while on "P's".
            "Yesterday was never the future. One cannot live backwards", she told him

Comment

Originally posted by Havago View Post
              I believe Honda do something along the same lines in Sydney.
              I think it is called H.A.R.T ( Honda Accredited Rider Training )
              I'm pretty sure that Aus Post send all there riders there too.
              Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
              This is how I see AHG's role, or at least, a contractor using their facility out near the airport. Currently I don't think this is done.
              Australia Post sends all their new motorcycle posties to a 2-day course run at the AHG centre, they also send all their established (experienced?) motorcycle posties on a 1-day refresher course every (I think) 3 years.

I went to the 2-day course recently, having been off the postie bike for over six months and thus in need of thorough retraining (see my avatar for further details). The course focuses on slow speed control, tight turns, emergency braking, as well as other stuff unique to the job (i.e. stuffing pieces of paper into holes).

I think the course should be available for everyone, if it isn't already, and should be mandatory for ALL new riders. Obviously non-posties don't need to know how to deliver mail, but all riders should know how to maintain stability at slow speeds with the rear brake, how to execute tight turns at low speeds, and basically how to keep the bike upright and undamaged, and their own selves alive.

My two cents.
              The broken genius.

Comment

I did a HART course here in perth - it was for ADF personel but I got a 'spare spot'.. a great course and well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  I did a HART course here in perth - it was for ADF personel but I got a 'spare spot'.. a great course and well worth the money.
                  Yeah but that isn't open to everyone and you have to buy a Honduh don't you? WA needs something that is open to everyone, even these scooter riders that we're always ranting about.

Comment

Well this is why I am trying to see what we as a group can do for our new people and anybody else who wants to ride a bike.
                    Lets come up with some idea's to get it happening.
                    Seems so far that it is, sadly, lacking!
                    So we need some volunteers and some small capacity bikes.
                    Then we approach the counsil/shopping carpark/ private propperty area, only needs to be small, get permmission, and it can happen.
                    It could even be done here in the Cull de sac, but a licensed vehicle is needed due to ipen public road.
                    If participants pay a small fee to cover the fuel, and a wee bit so we can grow the scheme, it will happen and will make a difference in road toll.
                    This in turn can tie in with the "Newby rides" as the new riders are better equiped to actualy operate/handle a motorbike.
                    At the moment it is a little bit of a lottery with new riders, one does not know their skill level before they ride in the group.

Comment

So you mean for people who have never ridden before?

Comment

If you are serious about this maybe the government should be aproached to see what sort of grant could be offered.
                        Other than that I think that you will find that insurance will be a big issue.
                        Even thou you say RIDE AT OWN RISK is someone comes off and desides to sue, you will be screwed.

Edit: Looks like someone is already on to this.
                        Motorcycle Training Perth, Western Australia - Motorbike Training, Motorbike Lessons Perth, Teaching, Stay Upright Motorcycle Riding School - Learn How To Ride a Motorcycle

Comment

The thing I'd be worried about for the organiser is bike insurance + public liability, you can get the participant to sign a waiver all you want, but if he/she hits anyone/thing else, the organiser could be up for the liability. :/

Comment

It has to be insured, and I would hazard to guess the insurers wont give out that kind of insurance unless its a company, etc

ie the venue would be insured (like AHG) but the organiser would need his/her own insurance because he/she is running the course.

Comment

Where there is a will there is a way.
                              Love it when every one and his pet states; that it is very difficult and neigh impossible.
                              Insurance is the killer, government will not let you, and it is to hard.
                              Well the chalance is there, make it happen!
                              On the ride today it was ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that more and better training/preparation is NEEDED for the newly tested and licenced riders of 250cc Motorbikes.
                              An issue of life or death!
                              And I ain't kidding!!!!
                              SO LETS HEAR constructive IDEA'S HOW TO make it HAPPEN!

Comment

Working...
                              X