U turns.. Road width in test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U turns.. Road width in test?

Can anyone tell me what sort of width (in mtrs) the roads are instructors will get you to do U or O turns in your test? (Around City West).. I have a area to practice but don't know if I'm doing it tight enough to nail it on the day on my Bonnie.

I was going to use an instructors bike for the test and had an hour ride on one last friday and did some of my worst riding ever.. The bike felt like riding a wreck after a roadside patch up

6 Metres I think, the width of 2 lanes

Comment

The first place i did my test in gail force winds, i had to do uies in a pretty tight residential street, that was Kelmscott.

But when i went for it again i was at Welshpool and the streets were a fair bit wider and i found it a lot easier. I was doing them on my ZX6R. It all depends on where the instructor takes you really.
      I dont know where in City West but.

But if you can do them in a residential street you should be fine.

Good luck
      ellE

jenius

Comment

Practice until you can turn at full lock

Comment

i reckon it would be easier to take the bike that you are used to.

from memory there are a few tight spots in City West that the instructor warned me about. There are a few streets where they are only 4 meter wide

Comment

Practice in your driveway if you've got a double drive way. But yeah full lock is good if you can get it there.

I did it in a street about 6m
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

in city west i had 3 spots (failed there 2x ) 1st spot uies where easy (near the lake)

second time was near the school, and the 3rd time was one street over from the school.. (no chance in hell I could turn the Gixxer in the space at the school so he took me to the next street)

(I didn't fail either time for my o turns)

In Kelmscott (where I passed) it was a pretty wide street (tho he scared me by taking me somewhere really narrow for the quick stops then moved over a street for o-turns

Comment

Originally posted by submit View Post
                i reckon it would be easier to take the bike that you are used to.
                Depends.

I did my R on a CB900 that i'd ridden for approximately 1 hour beforehand.

If you're "used" to doing them on a bike that's a bit tricky, hopping on an a bike that turns well at low speed will make them easy as.

The R test as far as I can see is identical to your RE (it was for me, in midland. actually i don't remember doing a hill start on my RE, but yeah) - if you can remember where you did your o-turns on your RE, you could probably go there and practice.... as the distance will likely be approximately the same.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Seen em do it in sutherland st (i think that's the name), plenty of width but funny roadmarkings to catch you out (parking lanes, hydrants etc). Happy to take you for recon on thursday if you want picking up a bit earlier?
                  yes, i am ignorant
                  yes, i am a prick
                  no, i don't care
                  you make me sick

Comment

Someone told me that if you are not sure about the width, walk the bike around first. If it's too thin, ask for another road to do it on.
                    Pretty sure they wouldn't fail you for that.

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                      Seen em do it in sutherland st (i think that's the name), plenty of width but funny roadmarkings to catch you out (parking lanes, hydrants etc). Happy to take you for recon on thursday if you want picking up a bit earlier?
                      That would be cool steve.. I'll be in touch.

I had a little pratice in the driveway this afternoon. Once I worked out the throttle/clutch/brake sweet spot I was doing circles getting close to full lock... I got a tape out to check, just under 6m and I should be able to tighten it a little more. The level of control was like night and day over the instructors bike I tried. Thats sealed it, I'm going to do the test on the bonnie.

Comment

there are some very narrow streets near city west, ive been on them with my instructor and they are still doable, but the thing is my instructor told me they would probably take you to do uies on a hill, so ive been practicing on a hill, and theres this one hill near city west which is mad steep and i just cant get it right on it..

Comment

hopefully they will pick a reasonable road for you !

i had to do figure "8"s on a narrow hill side road with crumbling gravel on the edges in freo back in '76

used an old honda 440 supersports.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Somewhere in my brain a little voice is saying 5.5m wide. It is a "normal" suburban street width.
                            222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

Comment

5.6 metres for a 250 , bit more for R class . You should be able to turn on full lock .

Comment

Working...
                              X