Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parentals

OK.

So I'm looking at booking my test for my RE class, but my Parentals are very much against me getting a bike. For typical parental reasons. But the Old Boy would be cool with a scooter. Obviously, I don't want to have to ride a scooter if I can avoid it. My question is twofold:
    1. How easy would it be to push something like a CBR125 or YZF R125 (If it ever gets released here) over a scooter, and
    2. How much will a scooter suck compared to the aforementioned bikes. I'd love to get a GPX or similar, but I honestly can't see it happening any time soon.

So yeah.
    Thoughts?
    c o o l s t o r y b r o

Whats the difference? They're all capable of speeds that'll do alot more than hurt if you come off.

BTW, you're not spose to push em.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Mate the bikes will be safer than a scooter

Comment

Can you provide figures/logic that will back that up? I'm not disagreeing with you, but need all the support I can get.
        c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Move out. Then they dont have a say.
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Not an option due to my current financial situation.

Plus if I can keep myself in the will that's a bonus.
            c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Get a job that pays more or wait till you're 21

Alternatively, convince your olds that Grant Dorrington is a figment of their collective imagination and all he says is fluff and snow.

Comment

Just get your licence and rock up on your bike. The folks freak out for about a week then they get over it.

Comment

I remember when I start learning for my bike license, everyone else go againt it, so I decided to get it.... to piss them off.....and the feeling of victory is so rewarding, hehehe.....about motorbike vs scooter its shake-vibrate-unstable at hightspeed so if a car drive pass too close could easily cause you an off.
                  Jackie the C

I love V-twin ^^'

Comment

A 200-250cc scooter isn't actually as bad as most people make out.

They are by no means as sporty or quick as a bike, but they'll do 110kph and get you through traffic quicker than a Getz.

They lack street cred, though the 650cc Suzuki's apparently do 200kph...

Comment

^^^ that's what I did.

"Can I get a bike?"

"Not while you're living here..."

"Can I get a bike?"

"Can I get a bike?"

and so on, for about three years.

Then I got a job in Collie.

One night I rode my new bike with my new license home. Dad came out when he heard the bike, I was shitting myself.

"Whose bike?"

"Mine"

"You got a license?"

"Yep"

"Can I have a ride?"

He's been the first (after me) to ride every one of my bikes since, except the FJ1200 in Europe - bit far to go for a ride - and the busa - coz he's scared of it.
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by hondaboy82 View Post
                        Just get your licence and rock up on your bike. The folks freak out for about a week then they get over it.
                        Bonus points if it's an R1 and you wake them up at 6AM doing a burnout on their front porch

My parents so far seem ok with the idea of getting a bike, well mainly my dad, but I just hope that when I go to get the bike they don't all of a sudden back down because they didn't think I was serious.

Perhaps explain to them that a 250 would be the better option as you could probably get a decent 250 for the price of a brand new scooter and it would have bigger brakes, big fat tyres, much better suspension and you would be wearing full motorcycle gear. Also buying a scooter would probably limit your travel to local streets as I wouldn't like the idea of topping out at 60/70 and having idiots in big commodores flying up your arse at 90 on main roads.

edit:
                        A 200-250cc scooter isn't actually as bad as most people make out.
                        I thought by scooters his folks were meaning those 50cc ones and I thought for anything over 50cc you needed an RE license.?

Comment

The typical "we're gonna kick you out if you get a bike" rule is just a threat

Comment

Crawley?? Nah.. they'd go through with it...

Comment

Originally posted by kiknet View Post
                              I thought by scooters his folks were meaning those 50cc ones and I thought for anything over 50cc you needed an RE license.?
                              If they don't mind a scooter, why no go all out?
                              Then when their spirit is broken, rock up on a Turbo Busa and follow the lead of TYSON and blow a tyre in 45 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                              X