Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250s and the Freeways

Hi guys,

I ride from Ballajura (NOR) to Booragoon (Nextdoor to Garden Cty). I hop on the Fwy at Charles Street and off at Canning Hwy. Its not a long ride along the freeway - but it is quite nervous when I am getting blown around on my GPX.

Just curious to know other ppls experiences with the lack of weight on 250s and getting blown around on fwys or roads 100kms+

Thanks

Did Mandurah to Canning Highway nearly everyday on my 250... Not much to it.

Didn't really get blown around that much I found.

Comment

Its no big deal.

You get blown about on a 600 as well, not quite as much, but its just something you get used to.

Yes, its a little un-nerving at first, until you get used to it.

If its really windy, maybe dropping a gear to make the engine spin faster will help stabilise it a little bit, but really, its just a case of being aware of it.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

you get used to it

Comment

Mate you will have no probs, I commuted daily on the freeway on my 125cc mito, which weights 130kg dry. On windy days you lean into the wind a little, thats all

Comment

Never been overly blown if your nervous on a bike try a scooter.
            You talk about domination, but have you ever caress her spine with your fingertips, Bedded her for the night, or gotten lost in her beauty?

Comment

shift ur body weight (slightly) according to wind to direction. other than that toughen up
              (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

I feel the same Slippery Simo - I ride from Canning Hwy to Erindale Rd. Generally don't like riding on the freeway that much but have done the trip to Mandurah and from Bunbury - Perth before.
                Automotive & Motorcycle Photographer | http://www.janglovac.com/motorcycle/

www.facebook.com/JanGlovacPhotography

Comment

^^ just ride in shit weather more.

yes, it will freak you out a little bit, but once your brain realises "meh, its just a wind gust" you care less.

if its really gusty, just make sure you leave that little bit of extra space when splitting, etc....
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

try riding in massive cross winds on a postie bike loaded with mail... where u shift across 3m at each gust!
                    (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

ok yeh - its not entirely bad or anything - just yeh, not as pleasant as cruising around ordinary rds. Just curious on everyones experiences is all

So you still cop a fair bit of wind movement on bigger bikes also?

Comment

You get used to it mate, same as when you hit a cats eye, they seem the size of house bricks when you first hit them.
                        Just remember when overtaking in a crosswind that you'll get blown like a paying customer when you pass the vehicle you are overtaking.
                        Try to keep some throttle in reserve and "accelerate through" it.

EDIT: about the bigger bikes, they weigh more so no, not as much. It all depends on what you are riding. Naked/faired etc. But you get blown about on any bike, regardless. I was pushed over 3 lanes when crossing the Severn bridge on the monster. I needed 3 coffees and a pack of smokes the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery Simo View Post

So you still cop a fair bit of wind movement on bigger bikes also?
                          Sure do... More surface area to be blown around with

Comment

I had a similar issue when i had my Hyo GV-250. Since moving to the Ninja the issue has resolved itself...
                            Originally posted by TurboR1
                            Yeah, I remember Ken Done...

I look at his work and think... "I could do that, with an enema tube and a arsehole full of paint."

Comment

if you are going to booragoon why are you getting off at canning hwy... get off at leach hwy. and i go from southlake(berigan drive) too ECU mt lawley most days of the week you get used to the wind pretty quick

Comment

Working...
                              X