Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Na man you have to 250 it, if you really wanted to push it you could bore out a 250 to 300 and turbo it.
    There is a turbo wr250 going around somewhere in Perth. Or if you always ride with a shadow you could use your 400 but not for the r-e test
    for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
    for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
    for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

• *Edit* Reposted my query to "How To" forum...
      Last edited by truewheel; 21-01-2012, 10:51 PM.
      It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

• Things to consider when buying a HYOSUNG.

Just a short note with some relevant information as a result of 12 months ownership of 17 ponies of Korean fury (thanks to Barfy for the description).

- Make sure any recall work has been done. Your dealer won't tell you about it, you'll find out when it blows up.
        - Beware that there are always 'small' little things that will cost you (New battery/brake cylinder).
        - GT250's (Naked) don't sell anywhere near as well as GT250R's (Not naked). Kids wants farings and its mostly kids who get their RE class and are the largest part of the market. According to one dealer, the R'z outsell the nakeds 10 to 1. You should be able to bargain a great price on a 2nd hand naked which is essentially the same bike without the pretence.
        - Check the bike over carefully. A dealer will be happy to pretend he/she never noticed that 'scratch' or 'crack', if it means he gets the bike off the lot. Maybe he/she didn't. Its worth checking.
        - Try and become a little mechanically minded. It'll save you real $$$ in the long run.

Overall - the HYOSUNG is a great learner bike, mostly reliable, fun to ride and quick enough to have plenty of fun. There are pitfalls for this bike though, and I would suggest getting one for as cheap as you can.
        Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
        Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

• Bike recommendation for the 'larger' rider...

I'm 130kg and I bought an '07 Kawa VN250. I can't fault it as it carries my fat arse up and down the freeway at 110kmh (and a little faster if needed) without a problem. Its a 6 speed so it doesn't sound like its screaming either.

That, and the fact it doesn't look like a 250 made it the perfect choice for me.

Comment

• Realy helped me as a first time rider, thanks mate!

Comment

• Hey all, long time reader, first time poster, well almost, just to repeat what has been said a million times.
              I am in the middle of my lessons and hopefully my RE test in a few weeks, completely new to riding although have been on the road for over 20yrs.
              Have been riding a demo CBR125 for the lessons and at 6'1" and nudging the ton it struggled with myself and the instructor riding through north perth on it, would have given a few people a laugh though to see it!
              But the choices for what bike I actually want to buy are mind boggling, I thought I was set on either a CBR250 or VTR250, then I started looking into the Ninja's, and now it turns out Hyosungs are actually decent bikes, and look pure awesomeness as well, plus from all accounts might be a better option for someone of a larger build. KTM are also bringing out the Duke 200 within the next month or so which muddies it even further. Although at my height on it I reckon I would look like a dog rooting a tennis ball!!
              To say I just want to get my license and get the chance to ride a few so I can actually make my mind up is the understatement of the century
              Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

• thoughts on The Suzuki TU250X anyone??
                Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

• Mechanically looks the same as the GN250 I started with, and it was bullet proof. Not very exciting compared to the VT250Z's and RGV's, but I still enjoyed riding it. Depends on the price and whether it fits your build/height
                  Originally posted by Skut
                  ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

• I have a CRF250 Road Trail, I noticed that there isnt too much mention of these types on this thread. I have seen a few blokes especially around the Kwinana Industrial area on KLX250's as well

Does anyone here have any handy tips or advice they can lend in regards to this type of bike? especially on-road? (Due to injury, the poor thing has been confined to the shed for the last few weeks.)

Comment

• For anyone that actually bothered to read the whole thing (I did but thats cause I really dont have anything better on tonight, and it was actually interesting) 3rd party will cost you roughly $18 a month so there's absolutely no excuse for not having it.

On the issue of gear, you can find a decent outfit online for much cheaper than you would in store seeing as though many of the middle men and taxes are eliminated. When it comes to gloves they are definitely necessary. For one thing you wont rip off the skin when you go down (we all do eventually) and the padding they offer helps on long rides. In terms of boots, shoes come off quickly and next thing you know you're unable to walk or ride again for weeks/months. Helmets, I urge you to get full face helmets. Multiple reasons;
                      1) Open face your eyes will tear up reducing visibility.
                      2) Closed face with no chin guard, you will get ridiculously cold especially your chin and neck area.
                      3) Chin and/or nose protection. Wouldn't want your pretty face looking like you came out of a fire would you?
                      4) Aesthetically, closed face looks awesome.

Lastly, please don't hoon. If youre going like 10kms over thats fine, you're points not mine, just remember you'll have less time to react to danger and boy will there be danger. Not even joking I literally almost got hit 5 times today, on a 12km ride. Everyone knows Perth has the worst drivers. Back to the topic, wheelies, stoppies, dead men, Titanics all belong away from cars.

Last but not least, try to avoid buying new as much as possible. Because you will drop your bike and you will feel like shit, wether stationary or moving at 60kms an hour. I dropped my old on 4 times in total. Bloody thing was only 116kgs. I CAN SQUAT THAT MUCH! Thankfully it was naked and 2nd hand so not much damage. Another reason is, and some of you may think it's stupid but screw you it's my opinion, your bike will break down and YOU will have to fix it yourself which will help you understand your bike a lot better which in turn helps you evolve as a better rider. The bike I currently have (GSX250f Across) I knew it needed work but I bought it regardless because I had absolutely no experience with bikes and needed something to learn with.Once you take apart a bike and spend a total of 4 hours putting it back together You'll be more careful with it since you don't want to do it again. Not to mention buying new parts and installing them feels great...

Have fun on the road guys and stay safe. And don't forget "If you pass a rider comming from the other direction and they nod, return the nod if you see it in time".
                      How do blind people know when to stop wiping?

Comment

• Got a VTR250 for my first bike and couldn't have been happier. Good Neutral(ish) position, nimble and very forgiving. Also been on a few long haul rides without any issues on highways. I can highly recommend them.....Pitty they've stopped production.

Comment

• New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

My first bike was a Honda CBF250. Perfect for running about town, easy to handle, good seat / peg placement. Also has enough grunt to get up to 120kmh to overtake on the freeway if you are so inclined. There's a reason so many bike trainers use these bikes

Comment

• i have a 2011 efi hyo and i gotta tell ya, none of the problems ive read about in previous models. ive ridden a few other 250s with smaller frames and they just don't feel as good as having the full sized frame.

Comment

• thanks for the topic. it helped me a lot, because i`m new here in AUS

Comment

• My first bike was a VStar 250. Bulletproof, easy & cheap to service, low standover height & very forgiving. Absolutely shit on the open road but runs on a sniff of petrol.
                                The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Working...
                                X