Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome guide, easy to read! I'm just about to start my riding adventure, just waiting for the loan to go through at the moment. Glad I found this write-up, it's confirmed most of the conclusions I'd come to already.
    -- Officially the 8th member of the Jester Club --
    Originally posted by Ryanoceros
    Umm excuse me grandpa, but I'm really good at breaking VTRs so you better watch out

Comment

• Originally posted by ream View Post
      i have a 2011 efi hyo and i gotta tell ya, none of the problems ive read about in previous models. ive ridden a few other 250s with smaller frames and they just don't feel as good as having the full sized frame.
      Yep. I have 2010 efi. They seem to have fixed all the issues earlier models had by the time they made these. Benefited me though, bikes with a bad reputations are easier to pick up cheap .

Comment

• Hey Guys,

I'm 6ft4 and 105kg and 4 weeks ago I bought a CBR 500R as my first bike and I really cant fault it. I learned on a Yamaha Scorpio 225 and I instantly felt more comfortable with the CBR as soon as I got on it. The Yoshi slip on pipe gives off a nice tune too. 2 weeks ago, somebody rear ended me whilst at traffic lights. I miss my CBR 500 R

Comment

• Brilliant post, thank you! Question for those in the know which of these would be most comfortable in terms of steering and turning circles? Have a mild back injury with a side kick of RRV. Son has his dirt bike now so it's my turn to go on the hunt. For reference sake I am 5ft 9 and sit between 55 and 65kgs
          Last edited by mushfush82; 19-02-2016, 05:59 PM.
          Be good or be good at it!

Comment

• Originally posted by mushfush82 View Post
            Brilliant post, thank you! Question for those in the know which of these would be most comfortable in terms of steering and turning circles? Have a mild back injury with a side kick of RRV. Son has his dirt bike now so it's my turn to go on the hunt. For reference sake I am 5ft 9 and sit between 55 and 65kgs
            Most naked bikes would be. Wider bars, comfortable ergos, fairly neutral seating position, etc. You have to ride them and decide though
            Rest in Peace

Comment

• Cheers will start hunting next week doesn't need to be flash for my first chances if it's anything like my learning to drive I will need something I don't mind having a few hiccups with 😂😂😂
              Be good or be good at it!

Comment

• Hey guy's, First time poster, longish time reader. Looking for some help in deciding between an KTM RC390 and a Yamaha MT-07. I understand they are completely different bikes both in capacity and type but they are the two bikes I am considering very strongly to buy once I have my license (currently learning).

Eventually when I get to R class I will likely go down the sports/ Super Sport route if that's at all helpful.

Also open to other ideas but this is where I am at.

Very much appreciate any help or alternative ideas

Comment

• Originally posted by sil3ntr View Post
                  Eventually when I get to R class I will likely go down the sports/ Super Sport route if that's at all helpful.
                  RC390 if that's what you're into. The RC has a pretty neutral riding position and it's not as hardcore as the learner sports bikes of 20 years ago, but it's an awesome little bike and a good rider can really make them hustle. Heaps of guys race them in Production 301-400cc so you should have no problem selling it when the time comes. The MT07 is cool, but there's no point getting one if you're more interested in the sports bike look
                  Rest in Peace

Comment

• This thread does need updating a bit , especially 250's from 2008,
                    unless you're scraping the bottom of the bargain basement bin, LAMS bikes have made most listed obsolete.

Comment

• Great, really appreciate that. Plus the RC will save me a couple of $ at the same time.

Comment

Hey guy's, First time poster, longish time reader. Looking for some help in deciding between an KTM RC390 and a Yamaha MT-07. I understand they are completely different bikes both in capacity and type but they are the two bikes I am considering very strongly to buy once I have my license (currently learning).

Also open to other ideas but this is where I am at.

Very much appreciate any help or alternative ideas
                        Join Dateec 2012.
                        least you're not rushing this decision, New MT-03 is coming, should be barrels of fun and cheap as chips.

KTM's tend to break wallets, and have all the resale value of your sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                          Join Dateec 2012.
                          least you're not rushing this decision, New MT-03 is coming, should be barrels of fun and cheap as chips.

KTM's tend to break wallets, and have all the resale value of your sister.
                          Thanks, yeah took me long enough to post. Almost had my license in 2012 but a "family intervention" prevented it from happening (long story).

Given it shares the same motor as the R3 maybe I should have a look at this given I prefer the styling

Comment

Thanks, yeah took me long enough to post. Almost had my license in 2012 but a "family intervention" prevented it from happening (long story).

Given it shares the same motor as the R3 maybe I should have a look at this given I prefer the styling
                            This might be a bit personal, but how big are you? The RC wouldn't accommodate a 'larger' person as well as the MT would
                            Rest in Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                              This might be a bit personal, but how big are you? The RC wouldn't accommodate a 'larger' person as well as the MT would
                              I am pretty much 72kg of pure man child @ a staggering 167cm's.

Comment

• If don't think they've detuned the (quick) R3 engine, this thing will Rev your Heart

Comment

Working...
                                X