Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! although, I'm not sure how accurate the data on these bikes is. The range for a stock GT250R for mixed city/freeway riding is about 400-450kms per tank.

Comment

the entire section of:

"Stuff you should know but may not have thought to ask:"

is the best part of this post. i wouldn't of had a clue of any of these common motorcyclist etiquettes.

thanks so much for your time and effort on educating us newbies. im doing a lot of research and hope to get riding a 250 soon. best forum to get information so far

Comment

damm good... its really good having all the links in one place.. Accesory shops though, like the helmetshop or whatever it is?
        Great work
        She's not hot enough to be a cougar...

Comment

im selling my ninja 250r
          its in the for sale section if you want to look at it
          http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ine=1218002865
          Your Current Signature Picture

Comment

great write up, it has been really helpful.

so ive only just got R-E license and i got an as new 07 Hyo gt250r for cheap but its giving me really sore wrists after not much time on the bike. is it something to do with poor riding position or do you get used to it soon enough?

cheers
            ed

Comment

You'll get used to it.
              Give it 2 weeks, then come back, your wrists won't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                You'll get used to it.
                Give it 2 weeks, then come back, your wrists won't hurt.
                Yup, this is what I found, When I first got the RGV after about 5 mins of riding my hands would go numb, now I only get cramps and numbness after about an hour of riding haha

Comment

Originally posted by edd View Post
                  great write up, it has been really helpful.

so ive only just got R-E license and i got an as new 07 Hyo gt250r for cheap but its giving me really sore wrists after not much time on the bike. is it something to do with poor riding position or do you get used to it soon enough?

cheers
                  ed
                  Poor riding posture: you shouldn't have a lot of weight on your wrists.

I had the same thing when i first started riding road bikes (after about 20-30 minutes), basically you want to take the weight OFF your wrists, and use your torso/stomach to hold your weight up..

In addition to getting sore wrists, i was also getting numb hands...

Now, i can ride 5-6 hours a day and my wrists are fine... my back gets sore if i have to carry a backpack that long though.

edit:
                  in addition to making your wrists sore, placing too much weight on your hands will also put more weight over the front of the bike... make you grip the bars tighter (to hold yourself up) and affect the bike's handling when hitting bumps, etc...
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

this was an absolutly awesome write up!! thanks heaps for all the info!!
                    i live on the gold coast and i'm looking for my first bike. ive got my heart set on a vt250 spada or vtr250.
                    i've been to tones of sites looking for info on bikes, classifides, and different moto clubs. this is by far the best site!!
                    if anyone knows of someone selling a spada up my way or of any sites that can help me out with those few things i would love to know!
                    thanks again, cheers nick.

Comment

Is an aprillia RS 125 comparable to any of these bikes for learning to ride?

Comment

thanks for the info lads!

ive been using a lot more of my abs/torso to take the weight off my wrists and it has helped a lot.

pretty different riding posture to the trusty old cb250 learner
                        Last edited by edd; 24-02-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfromperth View Post
                          Is an aprillia RS 125 comparable to any of these bikes for learning to ride?
                          A few people here have learned on rs125's. Same power as a 4stroke 250. Different delivery though (strong powerband).

Some people might hate it as a learner and some will love it. Plus it will make yourself learn about that bike and become very mechanically oriented very fast.

If i have had the coin I would've got myself one.

Comment

do not be funny ! go stright for some monster ;d

Comment

thanx for the thread man.. it really helped ay.. learnt somethings i didnt think i'd learn by reading, great help

Comment

I like my cbr250r it the 89 model it has done 54,460kms,Has got enough power of 45Hp topspeed of 190kmh, well balanced, fells very light, good in bends. I payed $5,500 for it and i have had no major problems, I got it from motorcycles plus in kewdale they are realy helpful and know there stuff. The most important thing is that they care about you.
                                I have just had a accident and the bike is damage but i cant wait to get back on it.
                                Ride safe and enjoy life..

Comment

Working...
                                X