Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see Honda Country on Dixon Road in the Rockingham list of bike dealerships. Great store, got my cbf there and they gave me 1 year rego with some negotiation.
    Originally Posted by Maxo
    do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
    to Butters

Comment

Help please: 1998 gpx 250 or cbr 125 for the same price??? which one do i go for, i was leaning toward the Honda but after reading some of the quotes below i'm no longer sure... bear in mind this is for a daily drive (mostly short trips) Will i at least be able to use the freeway on the 125. It is a much newer bike so for the same money it seems crazy to get an 11 yr old 250...
      "None of us is as dumb as all of us"

Comment

CBR125 is much slower.. top speed is like 120 (stock, and that is with me on it (~63kgs)) It is fine on the freeway.. but it is fuel injected and is a dream for lane splitting/ tight parking/ tight spots..
        comic sans is OKAY!

Comment

Originally posted by George89 View Post
          CBR125 is much slower.. top speed is like 120 (stock, and that is with me on it (~63kgs)) It is fine on the freeway.. but it is fuel injected and is a dream for lane splitting/ tight parking/ tight spots..
          Hmm that is one good for the cbr and 10 bad... thing is, maybe i am weird and maybe its coz i'm new to this, but i wasn't planning on going faster than 120...i mean as long as i can ride it on the freeway i'm pretty happy!

Of course i'm currently riding my friend's postie bike which has a top speed of 80

Comment

Originally posted by Vyntr View Post
            maybe i am weird and maybe its coz i'm new to this, but i wasn't planning on going faster than 120...i mean as long as i can ride it on the freeway i'm pretty happy!

Of course i'm currently riding my friend's postie bike which has a top speed of 80
            That lack of want will quickly disappear
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

get the 250...more power, prob cheaper to fix, parts everywhere...the 125 tyres are a lil scary

Comment

Its not so much top speed that is the issue with less power, its how long it takes to get there. if you're going to do a LOT of country/highway riding, a CBR125 will maybe be a bit lacking.

I mean any big bore will do 200+, but its the ability to go from say 80-150 (to pick the gap and get the fuck out of dodge) in the blink of an eye that gets you into/out of shit whilst commuting....
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

^ +1.. by the time i have made up the ~50- 100 that i need to achive in order to avoid death/ squishdom i have used all of my gears ...
                  comic sans is OKAY!

Comment

yeah, as much as i like the shiny and new thing, oh and the so desperate to sell that he would let it go for just 1700, i think i would be crazy not to get the GPX even if it is a little old. if only i had more dosh... <drifts off to dream land>

Comment

that was before i saw the GPX... Honda here i come!!

Comment

that was before i saw the GPX... Honda here i come!!
                        The old saying is very true ... "you get what you pay for"

Comment

haha yerp true.. you will be buying a new bike... everything all fresh and clean.. no drops.. all purrdy.. even if it is all show and no go..
                          comic sans is OKAY!

Comment

LOL "all show no go" that is about right but that is not such a bad thing for a learner!!

I do see what you mean about the "go" in that it will sit on 100 easily but has nothing left if i deed to dash out of trouble but i don't plan on going on the Freeway often or during the busy periods.

I think this the perfect bike for me as it dosen't punish technical mistakes like accidentally over revving or down shifting when you wanted to shif up etc. As i have ADHD i will tend to make little errors like this forever, although they will reduce heaps as the processes become more automatic. (i STILL go to shift gears -when driving the car- for no apparent reason all the time even though i've been driving for years, i have no idea why. probably forget i'm driving lol, i'm sure it happens to everyone at least once in a while?).

Comment

Nothing wrong with the old postie bikes Suzuki GN250, I personally believe that they are probably one of the best bikes to learn on, you outgrow them fast, but you can learn to ride a bike in under an hour using one.

Upright seated position, very light weight so easy to balance, small easy turning circle, low power so less worries for balancing accel and clutch for smooth gear changes, can do the speed limit, display that shows which gear your in, almost impossible to lock up, emerg stop easily in 6 metres, 30 kms to the litre, they tick every box for the learner.

Steve

Comment

i'm on the Honda postie, ct 110. doesn't have a clutch and goes n 1 2 3 4 so can be a little nuisance when going between the postie and a "normal" bike. Otherwise yeah they are fantastic learner bikes except in the rain. no clutch means easy compression lock ups .

Oh and the top speed is 85 km/h downhill with a tail wind LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X