Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vtr 250 @ the auctions

Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia

Comment

When buying a 250 think what are you buying a bike for economy looks or stunting, if you want to stunt get a road n trail bike like the honda crf or yam wr or ktm ecx lot of low end torque and low geared easy to pop front end up or do stoppies and you can learn of road skills and if dropped cheap to fix! and cheap insurance though say goodbye to your license if the po po see ya!

Comment

Hi Guys

I'm all new to biking so I've been trolling to get as much info as poss. This forum is really great. Thanks heaps for the info. Very much appreciated!

Comment

Sorry for the thread revival. Emailed Honda the other day and got a reply, I asked if there was any chance that a newer CBF250 model would be released in the future (just for shits & giggles).

"We wish to advise that there is no future plans to release another CBF250 model.

Unfortunately Honda are no longer manufacturing the CBF250 model there for they are no longer an option for Australia to import."

Comment

hi first post, been doing a lot of reading trying not to ask the same question over and over, but have noticed there is not a lot of talk about the suzuki bandit gsf 250v, and it is kinda hard to find stuff on the net, i am thinking about getting one on ebay but i am pretty sure it has been in a low speed slide just from looking at it. here is the link to the site if someone could recomend if this bike is worth looking at and getting an inspection done on it.
            Suzuki Bandit GSF 250v - eBay, Road Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Sep-10 15:06:00 AEST)

really have a low budget, bike cant be worth more than 3500. really want a hornet 250, but kinda hard to get at that price.
            Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Comment

Didn't realise you where from NSW. Pay a bike mechanic to go out and inspect it. Otherwise just suck it up and keep saving. No point rushing into something like this as you will regret it if it is a lemon or just not want you wanted.
              :aus-salute: Yer thats ULTIMATE :aus-salute:

Originally Posted by lobes89 View Post
              Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

yea on this forum cause it is probably the best motorbike forum in australia, comes up with the most hits on google, most of the time. yea was going to give it a blue slip inspection, i was just wondering about what ppl thought with regards to its condition keeping the price being offered in mind. i am trying to get in touch with the seller so i can give the engine a once over.

Comment

To put it quick, for a 115kg, 6 foot tall bloke such as myself which would be the better option out of the GPX250 or the Honda VTR250? I haven't sat on either of these and I'm currently doing lessons on a Yamaha Scorpio so I imagine both would seem rather quick to me.

Comment

VTR250.

The GPX has an extremely low seat and won't do you any favours in the braking and ride quality department with large lad on it. Not that the VTR will be a multitude better, but it's taller and stronger down low, you won't be ringing it's neck and it would probably do a better job until big-bike-time.
                    such comment
                    wow
                    many post

Comment

A gpx's rear suspension is useless for anyone above about 60-70kg...

At your size / height though, considered a motard?

You'll have no issues with the seat height and it will prove more entertaining...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                        At your size / height though, considered a motard?
                        You'll have no issues with the seat height and it will prove more entertaining...
                        Thanks for your replies. I love motards, however all the ones I found on gumtree and in the quokka were going for 6-7k+ whereas I'm not prepared to spend more than $3500 pushing to $4000 on my 250. '04 VTRs are going for $3800-$4200 whereas '06 GPXs are $3500. Will the gpx suffer under my larger derriere to a point where I can't ride it without bottoming it out, and would it be expensive to get stiffer suspension?

EDIT: Another noob question regarding gear if you guys don't mind. I didn't know where else to put it. What do you guys think about this jacket and these kevlar pants?

Reg
                        Last edited by Reggex; 19-09-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

what would you say is better for a learner who is about 5'9, 72kg, the VT250 spada or a gpx 250, both bikes have same amount of k's on them about 18,000. and are going for the same price. i like the looks of both and i love the seating position on both, really hard to make my mind up. only thing i am scared about is parts for the spada. opinions please.

Comment

I've been looking at a bike on gumtree which I thought looked like a pretty good bargain. I contacted him about it asking what condition the fairings were in and how frequently he had it serviced, and I got this reply.

You guys reckon it's worth checking out, and a decent bike for the price?

Comment

go look at it and do a basic check, if he is near by then what do you have to lose. but there is alot of room to bargin with him to get the price as low as possible, but with no log books you are kinda taking his word for things, but best beat is to get someone to look at it and do a revs check, wont really cost to much and you will have peace of mind.

Comment

on another note, i just picked up an 88 honda vt250 spada for 4100, with one year rego, and over 1200 in gear included in the price. had 18000 kms on it and new tyres, i thought it was too good a deal to give up. it is my first bike, gonna get it picked up in a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X