Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pffft crikey, i would have summed it moreso to the take of:

Make sure it's got at least 2 cyl
    Don't buy anything more than 6 years old, or more than 40,000KMS
    Ensure it's a mainstream brand: Honda, kwaka,yami etc and not "cheapeeneeze"
    Don't think too hard about it...you'll only own it a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gimpy View Post
      Pffft crikey, i would have summed it moreso to the take of:

Make sure it's got at least 2 cyl
      Don't buy anything more than 6 years old, or more than 40,000KMS
      Ensure it's a mainstream brand: Honda, kwaka,yami etc and not "cheapeeneeze"
      Don't think too hard about it...you'll only own it a year.
      Don't buy anything older than 6 years old? That doesn't leave people with a lot of choice. And as you say, you only have it for a year so if you buy something older it's generally cheaper and has already devalued as much as it's going to - good resale price 12 months later! My 21 yo with 75000km has had less problems than my friend with a 2yo hyo.

So long as you get a mechanics check, getting an older, 'well-used' bike is fine
      I came here to drink milk and kick arse... And I'm all out of milk

Comment

• Strange how you mention a hyo there......when my points say not to get one...

And the point of cutting down the age is to reduce the amount of choice, and insure that it's got all new(er) running gear that you're not going to have to replace 3 months into owning it.

Pretty sure this all falls under the "Don't think too hard about it"

Comment

• Haha, I see - 'cheapeeneeze'
          There isn't much choice around the 250s as it is. I reckon it is a simple decision if you want something new(ish) though. VTR if you like naked bikes, or a ninja if you like them faired. Ta-da!
          I came here to drink milk and kick arse... And I'm all out of milk

Comment

• I'll admit that I'm no grease-monkey; so where can I find a bike mechanic to give a prospective purchase the ol' once-over? Is it just a matter of getting someone from the Yellow Pages? Will they go to the where the bike is? Sounds expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Dirt Nurse View Post
              I'll admit that I'm no grease-monkey; so where can I find a bike mechanic to give a prospective purchase the ol' once-over? Is it just a matter of getting someone from the Yellow Pages? Will they go to the where the bike is? Sounds expensive.

Try The Mobile Motorbike Medic, I forgot his name but he is on PSB and has helped me out a few times when I could not be bothered going to a shop or I could not fix the problem myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aprillia Killa View Post
                Try The Mobile Motorbike Medic
                Cheers mate, I'll search for him in the forum.

It's nerve-racking for a noob like me, looking at bikes for sale - all the while furrowing my brow with that look of steely determination, muttering grunts of consternation as I grovel around looking at chains and sprockets - with no idea what I'm doing; and inside I'm freaking out with a fear that's eating me up that there's something obvious I'm missing, only to get bawled out by the wife when I get home when she asks, "Isn't it meant to have TWO wheels?!!" or "You bought THAT?"

My disclaimer is that I suffer from over-analysis paralysis; but I'm working on it.

Thanks again! This thread ROCKS!

Comment

• At acegalaxi, maybe you should mention how the older cbr250rrrrrr and the new ones are completely different bikes? Otherwise, awesome write up

Comment

• any opinions on Suzuki GSF250 Bandit (grey import)

Comment

• Originally posted by mohammfa View Post
                      any opinions on Suzuki GSF250 Bandit (grey import)
                      I have heard its a good bike, revvy but with a bit of poke, don't pay alot for one tho . . .

Comment

• AprillaKilla .. i havent come across lotsa reviews about this bike ..

revvy but with a bit of poke .. as in, its too old??

Comment

• Revvy as in its revs hard because its a 4 cyl (I think), and it has a bit of poke as in it has a bit of power. But they are quite long in the tooth, like all the faster 4 stroke 250s

Comment

• aaaaah~! .. in the current 250cc naked bike market .. there's really only one or two choices .. the VTRs or CBFs

i really like the looks of the GSF250 but ...

to insure an older model bike .. would be quite astronomical .. would it?

Comment

• Get the VTR, around $5K for 5 yo models under 20KMs, cheap to run, doesn't have that underlining fear that somethings going to fall off, more fun than the CBF (so i've been told)

perfect example

Honda VTR 250 2006 | Motorcycles & Scooters | Gumtree Middle Swan

Comment

• I rode a 2006 Honda250 CBF it was a good bike and very cheap when I rod in the speed limit I could get 450km out of a tank .
                                I put 17000 km on it and it never let me down so it was a very cheap bike to run
                                I still have it parked at the bake of the garage I will be selling it very soon

Comment

Working...
                                X