Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm.>For me it was a great start on the old CBX 250 Honda 1986...It was a bit rough and needed some fixing,so that was a learning curve which was good.
    (Things like the back wheel being off at an angle,tyre on backwards..Carby overhaul with the help of a mate...Fuel line springs a leak during ride etc..)
    Sure i dropped it and had some rough rides and stuff,.but thats what i like in a "first bike".
    Now i still only have the RE licence,..but...finally found a great deal on a great bike..I love it..Not the full road bike,but a Yamaha TTR250!! I recommend this bike especially as a next 250 bike which will teach you new things..Good for round town and shorter trips..Cheap to run and versatile.
    Then i would get a bigger bike for longer rides.The weight would be more and the price as well,.so its not something i would rush into. If the day comes where i get my Moto Guzzi 800,.or say an Aprilia 750..i would for sure retain the trusty TTR. (which is a road/trail not a motocross)

Comment

• Hey Guys, I', 6 foot 3 , doing my R-E Test next week, I was told that the Hyosung was the only decent sized 250cc option for taller riders? Wondering if there are any tall riders on the forum that started out on another 250 model and what their thoughts are.
      My instructor was running in a Honda CBR 250 for a dealer and says he finds it not that cramped, he is 6'1 . dealer wants $6,700 (Abs Brakes incl.) for one of those machines new!!! :O
      Other thing is i hear is that WA Dept. of Transport are thinking of changing licensing laws for beginners pretty soon and that when they do beginners will be able to start off with 400cc to 600cc bikes possible.. i'm guessing if this happens it will probably radically reduce the resale value of 2nd hand 250 cc bikes as all the new riders will be looking for bigger machines
      Anyway I welcome your thoughts guys

Thanks,

Ulysses

Comment

• Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
        Hey Guys, I', 6 foot 3 , doing my R-E Test next week, I was told that the Hyosung was the only decent sized 250cc option for taller riders? Wondering if there are any tall riders on the forum that started out on another 250 model and what their thoughts are.
        My instructor was running in a Honda CBR 250 for a dealer and says he finds it not that cramped, he is 6'1 . dealer wants $6,700 (Abs Brakes incl.) for one of those machines new!!! :O
        Other thing is i hear is that WA Dept. of Transport are thinking of changing licensing laws for beginners pretty soon and that when they do beginners will be able to start off with 400cc to 600cc bikes possible.. i'm guessing if this happens it will probably radically reduce the resale value of 2nd hand 250 cc bikes as all the new riders will be looking for bigger machines
        Anyway I welcome your thoughts guys

Thanks,

Ulysses
        Hey mate,

I'm pretty tall too (6'1") and though I haven't bought my bike yet, have tried a couple and generally found most of em pretty comfortable. I've been learning on a yamaha scorpio which is a pretty small bike, and even after a full lesson I feel fine. Best advice is to just go to a dealership and sit on one, see how it feels.

Licensing laws are likely to change but not in the immediate future, so your 250 will probably still keep its value pretty well. A few people around here have discouraged against buying new, though, and after a lot of thought (see my thread here), I am inclined to agree. You can get a decent 2nd hand bike for $4k without too much trouble that'll last you many years if you treat it right.

Comment

• I'm a similar hight and ride a VTR250, it's a bit cramped but nothing i cant live with. The Hyosung is a full sized bike, it's meant to be the same as the 650.
          LAMS should be coming in mid next year. It shouldn't immediately drop resales because most larger bikes aren't LAMS approved, the LAMS models tend to have restrictors on them to keep power down. It will take a while for LAMS approved second hand bikes to get on the market, so it should take a while to have a large effect. It will have less effect than the price war between Honda and Kawasaki anyway.

Comment

• Thanks guys for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

I read the suggested thread, lots to consider , I hadn't wanted to spend any more than $3.5 to $4kmax. on a bike to be honest but with the potential to pick up a new one for around the $6k $6.5k mark, a couple of the dealers were starting to change my mind. I was thinking warranty, 12mths rego, new tyres etc., worry free riding (from a mechanical perspective! ) and high potential resale value thus recovering most of my investment to spend on an R class bike when the time comes.

I know what you are saying about it taking time for LAMS to take effect but if i was starting out in 12mths time & I thought the cc level permitted was going to go up dramatically in a few months time I'd defo hold off and wait rather than buying a 250cc.

I think with LAMS on the way to WA I think I should stick with the original advice and go for a 2nd hand Hyo & cop the abuse! :mellow:

Anyhow better focus on passing next week so I can start the 12mth countdown anyhow I guess.

Thanks again guys

Comment

• Just got my L's can anyone recommend a bike for someone 6'5? I was looking at 2nd hand $4k max. So far VTR250's and ZZR250's have caught my eye, been put off the idea of a Hyosung after hearing about reliability issues..

Comment

• Originally posted by bergerac View Post
                Just got my L's can anyone recommend a bike for someone 6'5? I was looking at 2nd hand $4k max. So far VTR250's and ZZR250's have caught my eye, been put off the idea of a Hyosung after hearing about reliability issues..
                I'm 6'3" ish and ride a VTR250, I find it somewhat cramped, my knees tend to ache after a while. But I am doing nearly 700km a week, so that may be less of an issue for you. It may be worth looking at some of the trail bikes available, they have plenty of leg room, they also give far better power that most single cylinder road bikes. KLX250s are pretty plentiful, but there are plenty of others available.

Comment

• Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                  I'm 6'3" ish and ride a VTR250, I find it somewhat cramped, my knees tend to ache after a while. But I am doing nearly 700km a week, so that may be less of an issue for you. It may be worth looking at some of the trail bikes available, they have plenty of leg room, they also give far better power that most single cylinder road bikes. KLX250s are pretty plentiful, but there are plenty of others available.
                  Wasnt really too keen on a trail bike.. want to eventually do some longer weekend away rides

Comment

Just got my L's can anyone recommend a bike for someone 6'5? I was looking at 2nd hand $4k max. So far VTR250's and ZZR250's have caught my eye, been put off the idea of a Hyosung after hearing about reliability issues..
                    Plenty of HYOFIGHTER riders who have had no more issues than anyone else.

Stick to Post 2007. Check service record. Get it mechanically checked.
                    Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                    Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

• Thanks a lot for these value info
                      it's really helpful topic for new Riders

Chreers

Comment

You're far better off with a motard.

i'm around 6'1" and found that the ZZR seat was awkward as my legs were long enough to result in me tending to be sitting right at the rear of the front section and almost between the front and pillion sections of the seat.

at 6'5" i suspect you're going to be in an even worse situation.

None of the 250s will be a good size for you, I'd be looking at road/trail 250, ideally a 250 motard if you can find one. They all have a tall seat height and will suit your frame better than the learner 250 road bikes. They'll be more hilarious to ride as well.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

• Dude your the same height as me so motard up. Really need a lams program in WA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The HYOs have cleaned there act up.
                            I hate to admit it but thats the truth of it.
                            Takes a while for the bad name to fade away but thats about it , for the price, for the fact its only a year.
                            They do what it says on the box
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

Comment

• plan on gettin my Ls nxt year got a roadtrail drz400e will this b ok to use the Ls with or not only got it this year and ride off road and a bit of on road practice would i be able 2 use my new bike with like a guide or like someone always watching me or do i have 2 buy some piece of shit 250cc bike to use my Ls??

thx
                              bruno

Comment

• hey man im 15 now and i ride a 400 off road so i move a little when riding but if u have the right position its not as noticeable but you get use to it after a while

Bruno

Comment

Working...
                                X