Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Riding? Looking for a 250? A guide for n00bs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Keen
    replied
    If you're struggling with stalling just give it more revs. Open that throttle!

Leave a comment:

• Philsta
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
    All bikes are different, you need to get confident with the friction point of your new bike. Sit on it and slowly let your clutch out while slowly turning your throttle, wait till it just starts to engage and move forward, pull your clutch in, rinse and repeat until you are comfortable with the new bike.
    Thanks for the tips. I am picking it up this afternoon so I all I need to do for now it make it home! Though I might do a few laps of the quiet side streets around where I'm picking it up first.

I kind of regret not doing some lessons on a few different bikes before I got my license, but I am sure I will get used to it soon enough!

Leave a comment:

• Stoneville
    replied
    Originally posted by Philsta View Post
    I just bought a new MT03.

Probably pretty small to a lot of other people but coming from a 125 I was struggling! How long does it take to get used to a new bike? I must have stalled 5 times on the test ride!
    All bikes are different, you need to get confident with the friction point of your new bike. Sit on it and slowly let your clutch out while slowly turning your throttle, wait till it just starts to engage and move forward, pull your clutch in, rinse and repeat until you are comfortable with the new bike.

When I was riding 4 different bikes over the week I had to remind myself they were different, otherwise yes, even for me I could stall the thou (if trying to do a quick launch), which was so different from my 750.
    Last edited by Stoneville; 13-12-2017, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Buffy78
    replied

Probably pretty small to a lot of other people but coming from a 125 I was struggling! How long does it take to get used to a new bike? I must have stalled 5 times on the test ride!
    Awesome bike and heaps of fun I have one myself, once you start riding the bike it won’t take you too long to get used to it you were probably nervous about being on the test ride too. Practise the stop start with the friction zone, I put the Zeta adjustable levers on mine due to having really tiny hands (most xs gloves are too big for me) which helped me heaps.

Just remember you will be flicking the bike around in no time, don’t over think things just relax and it will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Ryanoceros
    replied
    How long does it take to get used to a new bike? I must have stalled 5 times on the test ride!
    How long is a piece of string ? Sounds like something you should work on

Leave a comment:

• Crobbo
    replied

10 hours: familiar
    100 hours: proficient
    1000 hours: good
    10000 hours: expert

Leave a comment:

• Philsta
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Commander Keen
    replied
    *bump*

Relevant.

Leave a comment:

• fetus
    replied
    Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
    This thread does need updating a bit , especially 250's from 2008,
    unless you're scraping the bottom of the bargain basement bin, LAMS bikes have made most listed obsolete.
    I am scraping the bottom of the bargain bin to buy my wife a bike to learn on shortly and most listed are still obsolete. most of those bikes have newer models than when that list was done.

To be honest though probably going to get her a gpx250 which is on there. She's short so the bike should work well for her. She can't touch the ground on mine lol (unless one foot on a lean obviously)

Leave a comment:

• Ryanoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by sil3ntr View Post
    Yeah sorry, my last post was not clear, I meant I was reluctant to spend 10k on a MT07 because I wanted to save money for my R class bike :/
    Spend 2k on your bike, 2k on gear, and 2k on learning how to ride it.

Leave a comment:

• sil3ntr
    replied
    Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
    Mt07 is 10k,
    R3/RC390 is 6.5 and probably the most performance per $ of any bikes past and present.

If you're spending 10k to save money, to sell a year later (for maybe 6k tops as it has to compete on the market with everything)... I don't understand the rationale?
    Yeah sorry, my last post was not clear, I meant I was reluctant to spend 10k on a MT07 because I wanted to save money for my R class bike :/

Leave a comment:

• Aufitt
    replied
    Originally posted by sil3ntr View Post
    I think there was an ABS option in the 2015 model and is standard on the 2016. I should try one out but I also want to save some $ to spend on a R class bike once my 12 months is up.
    Mt07 is 10k,
    R3/RC390 is 6.5 and probably the most performance per $ of any bikes past and present.

If you're spending 10k to save money, to sell a year later (for maybe 6k tops as it has to compete on the market with everything)... I don't understand the rationale?

Leave a comment:

• sil3ntr
    replied
    Originally posted by Heretic View Post
    at least take the mt-07 for a run, ive ridden one, for a lams bike it goes pretty darn well, probably one of the best, like the ktm i thought it felt a bit compact, with little wind protection i thought for the price point it would have had abs.

yeh yeh i know i know don't start that abs thing again....
    I think there was an ABS option in the 2015 model and is standard on the 2016. I should try one out but I also want to save some $ to spend on a R class bike once my 12 months is up.

Leave a comment:

• Heretic
    replied
    at least take the mt-07 for a run, ive ridden one, for a lams bike it goes pretty darn well, probably one of the best, like the ktm i thought it felt a bit compact, with little wind protection i thought for the price point it would have had abs.

yeh yeh i know i know don't start that abs thing again....

Leave a comment:

• sil3ntr
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    If your location is correct you're reasonably close to 5* Yamaha and Causeway KTM, go shopping at both of them. I was dead-set on a CBR500 for my LAMS bike and then I sat on one and realised I didn't like it much at all, and at the end of the day we can't choose for you. If you're buying new, most bikes come with everything you could ever want on a bike
    Thanks again, Yeah I have been to 5 star to have a look at the MT-7 but the R3 and MT-03 were not on my radar at that time. Ill head down and take a closer look, have a sit and see what I like the feel of. Also I have seen a second hand R3 with 2000km on it for about 5.5k which seems pretty reasonable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X