Suzuki Across starting difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Across starting difficulties

My Suzuki Across has been hard to start sometimes lately, I will crank over and fire up but rev really really low (>1000RPM) and I'd have to hold the throttle wide open to kick it up to a healthy revving range (2000 - 2500) idle.

Once I've passed this, its all fine, there is no problems with it when the motor is running but there's a flat spot between 9000 - 9500RPM.

Last night, I forgot and left the fuel tap on and it wouldn't start at all this morning so I spent most a couple hours sitting down and stripped apart my carbies and cleaned it out, soaked the main jets, pilot jets and pilot/idle screws in carby cleaner for a good 15mins.

The carbies also had a good drench in carby cleaner

I also did this about half month ago and then left it sitting for two weeks, and when I came back, it started with some difficulty but fired up and running really rough.

So quickly pulled the bowls off the carbies and drained all the old fuel out and replaced the tank with new fuel. Since then, it has still been causing problems

What I think the problem is is the needle valve or the floats not working properly allowing the carbies to flood.

When I first got it from the mechanics, it was fine for the first month or so and then started these problems.

The fuel tank is really rusty and I'm planning or replacing it soon with a spare clean one I have lying about . Anyways right now, i'm checking the filter every now and again and replacing it with a new one when it gets gunky.

Any ideas on what else I can do? There's still problems with the carbies I'm pretty sure and I'm not to sure what else to do now..

I'm planning on doing an oil and filter change sometime this week as well and seeing if it will run any better.

Sounds like carby problems to me, be sure to check the fuel service level and the float needle and seat, pilot and main jet blockages will cause starvation issues like your experiencing.
    If you have crap in your tank I suggest a fuel filter installed untill you get your new tank, to be honest they are a great idea anyway.

DJ
    There are two questions in life.
    1:Which way do I go
    2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

I've always had a fuel filter between the tank and the carbies, still giving me grief though.

I'll have to check the float level height sometime.

But I've cleaned out the main jet several times and still giving me the same problems so it can't be it.

Also my choke doesn't work properly, it revs out to 7000RPM then dies pretty quickly.
      How can I fix that?

Comment

Sounds like the carby's need a kit through them, and check your fuel filter for blockage. Need someone who knows what they are doing though.

DJ

Comment

Fuel filter has been checked and is fine.

What kit are we talking about with the carby? you mean a rebuild kit?

Comment

Yep, thats the one

Comment

Originally posted by spikes View Post
              My Suzuki Across has been hard to start sometimes lately, I will crank over and fire up but rev really really low (>1000RPM) and I'd have to hold the throttle wide open to kick it up to a healthy revving range (2000 - 2500) idle.
              My across has never started without wacking the throttle open for a moment.
              Up until now i thought this was normal :s

Comment

Originally posted by antiscab View Post
                My across has never started without wacking the throttle open for a moment.
                Up until now i thought this was normal :s
                Haha I seriously doubt this would be normal

Comment

Seems like the problem has gotten worse, I turned the fuel tap off last night and went to start it this morning and it was cranking but won't kick over

Had to get the air compressor and blow it down the fuel line and through the carbies, all the fuel got blown out the carby air vent hoses.

After that, it fired up and now is running really roughly, compared to yesterday which was really smooth.

If it isn't the carbies, what else could it be?

Comment

I had a similar problem about a month ago and found out one of my slide holders in the carbie was completely stuffed,
                    have you replaced them recently?
                    broken slide holders
                    I replaced all of mine and it increased the power dramatically for the rev range <8K RPM

Comment

Yep replaced all the slide holders about two months ago, and I've checked them as well, they're fine.

Comment

the high pressure surge going through the fuel lines may have bent the floats, especially if the bowls were already full of fuel, causing the level to be too high and flooding.
                        Lost and on reserve

Comment

I've looked at the floats on Monday and didn't see any visible bending, is there a way to check to make sure?

Comment

hey spikes,

did you ever solve this problem?
                            I'm having similar issues.

It isn't rough idle but i'm getting a flat spot between 9-10k rpm,
                            must a fuel filter be installed somewhere after the fuel cock ?

Comment

Turned out all along that my motor had only 45psi compression, its supposed in the high 100s/low 200s PSI.

Comment

Working...
                              X