Needing New Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing New Tyres

Hi, it's that magical time of the year again when new tyres are needed and a few km's of slippidy sliding follows.

I know this has probally been covered time and time again but from my searching I couldn't find much that seemed to help my decision of what tyres to get next.

I'm nearing the point that new tyres are need for my Kawa ZX2R, I've currently got Pirelli Sport Demons on the bike - Front: 110/70-17 M/C 54H Rear: 130/80-18 M/C 66V

Just after some recomendations of what tyres are around that will fit this bike, and opinions of tyres that will fit this bike. Any recommendation of well priced fitters would be nice too.

Thanks Everyone.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Give Tyres for Bikes in Vic Park a call, he'll be able to run through what is available to you
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Will do, but any opintions about the feel of tyres would be great (apart from the rubberyness).

A mate has just recently put some BT90's onto his ZX2R and it's quite different to corner that with the pirelli's

Comment

I've called a fair few people now and the most recommended has been the BT92 priced at around $400 installed and balanced

Comment

+1 for top service from T4B.

Wow, 18" rear. That's going to limit choices. Spose I'd be interested to see what you go with and how you find it, as the VFR has a relatively narrow 18" rear as well.
          Insert witty comment here

Comment

^^ as said, 18 inch rear will make life a bit difficult.

i'd see what else is available other than BT92s, i had them on my RGV for a bit, and a bike like the ZX2-R, RGV or other sporty little 250 will out-corner them (bike has more lean angle than the tyre can provide).

If there's nothing else, they do provide good grip in both wet and dry, just be aware that you'll feel the rear want to let go well before you start scraping pegs; the profile on them is quite "flat" and there's not a lot of tyre shoulder there.

You probably won't come off or anything, you'll just feel the rear skip a little (and instinctively stand the bike up) when you get to the limit of them (you're running off the edge of the tyre). Its annoying.

Don't get me wrong they're a decent tyre (wet grip in particular is excellent), they're just not really built with sports bikes in mind.

edit:
            just had a look at bridgestone's site - maybe even squeeze a BT90 onto the back (150, might not be possible??)

here's a chart of where the brdgestone bike tyres "sit" as far as application goes

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/produ...ry/onroad.html

Don't be too concerned about going a little bit "aggressive" (as in soft) on tyres for a 250 so long as they're intended for road use - tyre wear is pretty mininal as the bikes are so light (and torque/power is low)
            Last edited by thro; 10-08-2009, 11:01 PM.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
            X