Urgent Advice Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Advice Needed!

I'm taking my R-E on Monday and I've been looking for a cheap bike for the last month

I've come up with 2 "steals"But I need some advice!

One is a '99 Honda NSR150-SP with 35k on odo for $1,700

The other is a '91 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 with 94k on the odo, unlicensed.. but it's going for $800!

Please it would help me greatly to hear your opinions on this ($2k budget excluding gear) especially which would be a better option in terms of satisfaction, safety, mechanical reliability, likely future costs etc.

Thank you very much!

Edit: I think a lot of people may have gotten the wrong impression that i just want a cheap bike right now and I don't really care.
    Not true, I just don't have the money to buy a cracking bulletproof bike so I'm looking for something reliable but cheap.. I don't need a 250cc rocket with street cred.. Just something within my $2k range that won't die on me before I can get it fixed and which will handle freeway speeds..(I'd have picked a Scorpio if i'd seen one)

That's why I pick the bikes I do. I've discounted many $1k bikes and $500 shitonwheels simply because they were too unreliable.

This post really is just a feeler for how objective opinions on these bikes and experiences with reliability as such and I'm very thankful for the replies which have done so.

So, to reiterate: I WILL see these bikes if I think they're worth my time.. and THEN i will get them pre-purchase checked by a mechanic or seasoned rider BEFORE i consider finalising any purchase
    Last edited by Biliskner; 26-08-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: Wall of text for clarification

the kwaka would be better for cheap reliable transport.
    sigpic
    “A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.”

Comment

id wait dude. save yourself some more money. cant base reliability on just k's alone. if the bikes are lemons your gonna end up paying more than if u just saved for a bit longer and got something else. Have you ridden each of the bikes as well as a newer bike to compare.
      :aus-salute: Yer thats ULTIMATE :aus-salute:

Originally Posted by lobes89 View Post
      Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

Ill second the ZZR however with 94k on it and the fact it's unlicenced you'll likely need to spend a few $$$ on it.

NSR would be a lovely little toy for sure but again, i'd expect for that price you'd be having to spend a little money on it rather soon.

Save some coin. Get something better. You'll be happier.
        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
        Its the little things that make the difference
        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Please it would help me greatly to hear your opinions on this ($2k budget excluding gear) especially which would be a better option in terms of satisfaction, safety, mechanical reliability, likely future costs etc.
          don't know enough about them, but from what you're saying

neither :\

Comment

Make sure you get somebody who knows what they are talking about to come along with you and check them out. I'm sure somebody from here will volunteer.

If the 2-stroke needs a rebuild, or the ZZR needs a couple of grand worth of work done to it, they are no longer bargains. Saving money now might cost you in the long run.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Purely based on the info in your post,

Going on the Km's on the Kwaka and the hassle of rego, I would go the NSR 150-SP.

Plus Repsol paint job is cool.

But the advice offered by others is spot on, check them both out with someone who knows bike mechanic stuff. Or save a bit more and buy something else
              Ello

Comment

Don't do it, either way you are most probably not going to be able to ride either of them on Monday even if you pass.

SAVE money get something with a lot less work

Comment

i wouldn't mind the zzr if you dont want it. im tring to build up another gpx and could do with the parts
                  sigpic
                  “A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.”

Comment

If I were you, I'd keep looking.
                    Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

unlicensed large KM's and price indicate a lotta hassle to get it through the licensing, never mind making it reliable.
                      Tyres?
                      electrics?
                      suspension, brakes??
                      state of the poor little donk?
                      sounds like a wreck.
                      Honda 150 licensed? what is the state of that one?
                      It sounds like the better one of the 2.
                      There are no bargains without future co$t$

Comment

There is always a reason for a price... expect to spend $$ on both. Better off getting a cheap ZZR250 or equivalent that is licenced so at least you can start riding on Monday. For $2000 you should be able to get a decent enough bike - zzr/gpx, across also. Whatever you do don't rush into it else you'll be stuck with a problem.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I've actually been looking for quite a while and this is actually the best deal I've seen in a month. Had Derek Ball check out another GPX I was interested in but that was due for a major service plus timing chain.

I realise that there's no bargain without future costs, but you guys seem to have a lot more money to spend than I do. I am prepared to incur future costs rather than have to wait another 2 months for someone to sell their bike cheap.

Just my feeling currently.

Comment

don't do it, you will end up paying more if something goes wrong.
                            You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Biliskner View Post
                              Had Derek Ball check out another GPX I was interested in but that was due for a major service plus timing chain.
                              I'd be interested to know what he says about either of the two bikes you're currently considering.
                              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                              Its the little things that make the difference
                              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X