Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Acumens Gt250r Review

Gooday everyone,

I am writing my first proper review of anything, and i decided to write about hyosung Gt250r which i luckily happen to own aswell. Forgive me if i'm no pro yet, but this is a lot of fun and i really hope it helps the readers and those new to the motorcycle world looking for a first bike.

Hyosung Gt250r

One of the most distinguishing features of the Gt250r is it's eye catching styling. It's racing styled body does not show any sign of weakness to the untrained eye. It's rear wheels don't look like dried up noodles and you sure don't feel too vulnerable driving next to big cars next to the traffic. And last but not least, it does not sound like a nagging wife screaming in your ear constantly.

But is the Hyosung gt250r just a pretty face? Is it a dog with big barks and no bites? Well, yes. Compare it to a 1000cc R1, and 675cc Daytona and it is obvious that the gt250r is nothing more than a Chiwawa.

But, of course, you wouldn't want compare a 250cc motorbike to those with four times the engine capacity. So, for a entry level 250cc motorbike is the Gt250r still a pretty face with no guts? ....no. The gt250r are has enough grunt to keep a 250cc restricted rider amused for a very long time. In my attempt to get away from a large crowd of cars in the freeway i found myself doing 156km in no time, with still much more push to come (although fifth gear was almost ready to redline). At the traffic lights i have enough acceleration to leave the cars behind and find good space just for myself. Yes, if you want serious power, there are even 4 cylinder 250cc's that will leave the Gt250r for deads, but the gt250r still puts it's 29 hp to good use.

How about handling? Well, it makes it all very easy. With some under steer
    the gt250r can get side ways nicely. However, it's not the fastest 250cc around the corners. If corners strike your fancy more than anything else, the Aprilia, Cagiva are were you should look.

So, looks like all is good with the gt250r. It's cheap, ranging from $7500 new to as low as $3000 second hand. It's beautiful and it has guts. That is if you are lucky. You see, the gt250r's have had a lot of problems in the past. Especially on their products before 2007. If your unlucky, you can end up with a bike with all sorts of problems. From bad brakes, dead spots through the rev range, rusts, and all together just things falling apart. So what happens if your unlucky? Lets look at some prices. If you happen to drop your bike while handling it, the handbars are weak. Chances are they will snap, chiching $250 each. If you damage any plastic, chiching from $250 to $500. Problems with your break hydrolics? $190 just for parts. Parts are expensive for the gt250r. Very expensive. And yes, unless you were born under the yum yum tree, and luck goes your way, the gt250r will become a demanding motorbike. So much care must be taken whilst owning one of these rides to avoid it. The rev meter and digital gauges look cheap yet the green colors add a specail feel to them. If you like to be seen, well, the headlights on the gt250r are useless. May i suggest riding with your lights off and horn on? It will help i suppose.

For a motorbike to ride around and get work done, gt250r is fantastic. Enough power to be were you want to be in traffic. Enough style and appeal to impress your friends. Good to learn motorbike maintenance, a good companion and a fun bike to get experience on.

So have a safe ride everyone and hope to hear from you again tomorrow and many many days to come

Future reviews to come from acumen,

Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Megelli 250

Custom motorcycle earplugs

Peace out
    Last edited by The Acumen; 27-08-2009, 10:54 PM.

expansive
    Expensive*

And lol at the review, , btw have you ridden any other bike?

Comment

I generally like my reviews to be truthful and honest.

Comment

When I finished reading, I still had no idea whether you were trying to convince me that the bike is good or bad... but I did enjoy reading it! My favourite part is when you said that they rust, fall apart and are expansive to fix... where can I buy one?

Comment

Originally posted by talek View Post
          When I finished reading, I still had no idea whether you were trying to convince me that the bike is good or bad... but I did enjoy reading it! My favourite part is when you said that they rust, fall apart and are expansive to fix... where can I buy one?
          I wasn't trying to convince people to buy it or not. I'm giving my honest opinion of my experiences with the bike. It's got goods and bads.

Comment

My favourite part is when you said that they rust
            True story... there is one at curtin that has rust in the frame.

AFAIK Hyosung is moving to Aluminium frame for 2010 finaly.
            A bit annoying considering that japanese 250's have had aluminium frames for decades. That is the type of thing I can't stand about hyosungs, 5 years or so to change that.

Comment

havent you only had it for like a week or so?
              Originally posted by polonY
              Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Xuaxace View Post
                True story... there is one at curtin that has rust in the frame.

AFAIK Hyosung is moving to Aluminium frame for 2010 finaly.
                A bit annoying considering that japanese 250's have had aluminium frames for decades. That is the type of thing I can't stand about hyosungs, 5 years or so to change that.
                Haha true. Mines got a fair bit of rust on it scattered in random places of the frame. Some parts of the plastic are cracking for no apparent reason too. I should have included that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                  havent you only had it for like a week or so?
                  Yup. This is my first review, I wanted to try writing it and i've been pretty much riding her all the time this one week so i felt ready to give a small review on it.

Comment

B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by MrMike View Post
                      Love to hear your comments. But if you just do a face palm without reason, evidence what so ever you just sound ignorant.

As cool as it is to hate hyosung without ever having owned one.
                      Last edited by The Acumen; 28-08-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I'll be objective/whatever.

Sorry, but it sounded more like a commentary, or a parody of an infomercial/review.

You use cliched phrases and a tone that just... it's half taking the piss out of the bike, half advertising it.

That's what's wrong with it, IMO. (oh, and lose the chihuahas, and terms like "chiching" and "under the yum-yum tree").

If you want a little constructive advice, I'd (dare I say it) be yourself. Don't try so hard to write like what you think a review should sound like. Just think about what it was like to ride it (along with technical stuff and appearance/whatever you like) and let that flow onto what you're writing. And something else you may want to consider is that it's useful to compare the subject or some of its features to, you know, other bikes.

Obviously you're gonna be a bit limited as to what you've ridden at the moment, but it's something to think about.

^^Is my shit backed up to your satisfaction?
                        Originally posted by Dragunov-21
                        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Acumen View Post
                          As cool as it is to hate hyosung without ever having owned one.
                          I don't need AIDS to know I don't want it.

:worms:
                          such comment
                          wow
                          many post

Comment

I enjoyed reading that. ^_^

Comment

What's your first language, Acumen?
                              Originally posted by Melkor
                              The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Working...
                              X