Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo out of whack/whirring noise

I need help, please:

On my way to work (while riding my cbr250r) I could hear a high-pitched whirring noise coming from the front end of the bike, pulled clutch in, keeps going - the sound is quite similar to a kettle boiling..

On my way home from work, the speedometer plays up quite badly: excelerating from approx 50kms and the speedo pretty much doubles the actual speed, and after "100" kms + the speedo needle just flutters up & down often going over 190 k's causing the bike to shudder and lose significant power (im guessing because the speedo cable is telling the engine it is reaching max power when it is only travelling around 100 - 115 kms)

I checked the speedo cable, no obvious gouges or breakages, and it seems to be well connected. The speedo cable is maybe a month old and was installed by Ktec.

Any help or thoughts would be so awesome! Thanks

Ring Ktec ? Also check your tyres for unusual wear as they can produce a whirring noise

Comment

HAHA i love female interpretation of mechanical failure. Sounds like a kettle boiling. thats a good one. (ps its much better than males trying to describe it)

If you want u can bring it round an il have a look. No worries
      IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

kettle boiling.
        Nice one

Dunno if it is possible but many you got crap stuck in the speedo pickup or maybe a connection went loose inside when they changed the cable.

Comment

Lol. I was thinking that as I was describing it and was hoping no one would notice, thanks MattyA that would be awesome ^_^

Comment

Its probably the speedo Cable on the way out.

Usually it either runs out of lube and/or has frayed strands which makes the noise.
            You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

NFI on the cause of the problem, but that ^ sounds like it makes sense.

The loss of power at 180+ will probably be the speedo telling the engine to start retarding firing/timing (the good old 180km/h limit imposed on the jap market).
              Insert witty comment here

Comment

You'd seriously be hoping not, if it's a month old... But it is sounding like the cable may have been a dud...

Have you oiled the wheel and fed the hamster, Em? ^_^

Comment

CBRs have a a mechanical speedo, so check where the 'sensor' sits on the sprocket.
                  If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Thanks for the help people, going to take MattyA up on his offer of help ^_^ The speedo cable was brand new, and I think Kamahl ordered it from Honda possibly

Comment

I reckon most likely is the cable attachment collar has come undone a little, and the square drive-cable is rattling about only partially driving the needle.

You may be able to reach the cable where it screws in behind the gauge, see if you can twist or wiggle it at all...
                      "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Yeah I did this last night - checked both connections, seems fairly tight, not wobbly, etc

Comment

Have you looked inside the gauge where it meets the cable? Often they flog themselves out. So the square cable end normally sits in a square hole in the gauge, but the gauge may be a bit rounded, hence the slipping/whirring noise.

One option is to replace the speedo gauge and perhaps the cable, or just use some fuck... whats the name of that steel/araldyte stuff? Starts with D.... The word dremel springs to mind, but that's not it.
                          Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris View Post
                            ... whats the name of that steel/araldyte stuff? Starts with D....
                            Devcon

Comment

devcon?
                              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Working...
                              X