Noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob questions

After a long break from my first ever lesson which I didn't feel I did that well at, I've had a nice long lesson with Glen from Alert this morning which went really well. After being able to get a better feel for riding and feeling more confident, I can safely say that I want to get a bike. There are a few things that I'm not sure about though, and felt some planning was necessary.

I've currently got a car worth $3k that I could sell to buy a bike. As I'm a uni student, I don't think I'll be able to afford both, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to rely solely on a bike. For what reasons would I want to keep a car as a backup to a bike? The only thing I can think of is extreme weather, grocery shopping and going out (wouldn't want to be carrying helmet and wearing kevlar jeans etc.).

I'm also curious about what kind of things I can expect to pay for before I buy the bike and while I own it. So far I've thought of these items for before I buy the bike:
    • Helmet (~$900)
    • Gloves (~$100)
    • Jacket (~$300)
    • Boots (~$500)
    • Jeans (~$250)

And these for while I own it:
    • Registration
    • Fuel
    • Services
    • Insurance

Am I missing anything?

The question about keeping the car has more to do with the fact that I plan on buying all the safety gear in the first list which will cost around $2000 - and that's before I even own the bike.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation or with some experience offer some advice?

Cheers.
    Originally posted by redfern
    If its good enough to carry missiles is safe enough for you bike.

You don't have to go so all out on your first helmet, mine is a $90 R-Jays I got from Elite. I recommend keeping your car, you never know when you might need it. You can also learn a lot of the maintenance yourself to save a lot of costs if it's a second hand bike you're getting, as far as I know if it's new self-service will void the warranty (which is fucking scodgy IMO).
    http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Originally posted by HotelBushranger View Post
      You don't have to go so all out on your first helmet, mine is a $90 R-Jays I got from Elite. I recommend keeping your car, you never know when you might need it. You can also learn a lot of the maintenance yourself to save a lot of costs if it's a second hand bike you're getting, as far as I know if it's new self-service will void the warranty (which is fucking scodgy IMO).
      I guess I assumed, from reading on here, that the more expensive the helmet the better. I'm not looking forward to paying nearly a grand for a bit of plastic though, but I want to feel safe.

How about the other safety gear? Is there anything that can be sacrificed for another item of a higher cost/quality?

Did you have a bike and car after you passed your RE?

Comment

The better the helmet fits your head the better...
        May not have any relation to the price though.

Leather bottoms (with sliders) are the way to go for me..
        Better protection than jeans with kevlar inserts..

Boots can get a bit cheaper to I thinks..

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
          The better the helmet fits your head the better...

May not have any relation to the price though.
          Glen mentioned that today as well, when I was trying one on. He said too much play is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mybowlcut View Post
            Glen mentioned that today as well, when I was trying one on. He said too much play is bad.

Yes, most shops will have people to give advice in regards to fitting.
            Have it firm as it padding will settle in.

Comment

Best bet is to go and try heaps on. I found when i was looking that most of the ones i really liked didnt fit properly and ended up getting one cheaper that fit better and that i had more vision in. Boots you should be able to get much cheaper too.

Comment

my younger brother got all his gear from causeway honda for about 1100-1200
                He got a HJC sp-something helmet (same model as mine (mines now 2 yrs old) pair of draggins, a dri rider jacket that suits winter/wet/summer riding gloves and just some rj's boots (not the racing style ones) Good gear and it suits his riding, he has only just got his RE and the gear will do him fine. $2k is the max you'd need to spend if you went all out. You won't need leather bottoms with sliders till you really start pushing hard on the road or plan on doing track time, that being the case i'd also buy a back protector ~$300 for a good one.

He also had a small low side and all the gear held up well
                Originally posted by Rocket
                Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by who me? View Post
                  Best bet is to go and try heaps on. I found when i was looking that most of the ones i really liked didnt fit properly and ended up getting one cheaper that fit better and that i had more vision in. Boots you should be able to get much cheaper too.
                  Now that I know that cheap ones are OK I think I'll be a bit more eager to try them on haha. I really like the puma 1000 boots, but I think they're made with leather. I would like to avoid leather where possible, and have already found a few gloves that have plastic knuckles and are synthetic.

Any other advice on the car side of things?

Originally posted by ozzypatrol View Post
                  my younger brother got all his gear from causeway honda for about 1100-1200
                  He got a HJC sp-something helmet (same model as mine (mines now 2 yrs old) pair of draggins, a dri rider jacket that suits winter/wet/summer riding gloves and just some rj's boots (not the racing style ones) Good gear and it suits his riding, he has only just got his RE and the gear will do him fine. $2k is the max you'd need to spend if you went all out. You won't need leather bottoms with sliders till you really start pushing hard on the road or plan on doing track time, that being the case i'd also buy a back protector ~$300 for a good one.

He also had a small low side and all the gear held up well
                  Leather bottoms with sliders? What are they? Do you mean buy a back protector only if I'm racing or regardless? Good to hear that everyone is telling me I was going to spend a bit too much haha.

Comment

You don't have to go all out for ANY helmet.

However, my advice would be:

- make sure it fits properly
                    - make sure it meets the relevant certifications
                    - pick one that is colour neutral, rather than trying to match your bike colour (if this is important you may well change bikes)
                    - buy the best quality you can afford - after all its YOUR head, and you'll have to put up with any quality issues every time you ride (eg, uncomfortable padding, noise, straps, etc) - and it will annoy you.

Why? A decent helmet will last longer. Also, it will likely be more comfortable. And if you crash, i'm quite sure the last thing on your mind will be "damn, i wish I'd spent less on this helmet i'm about to throw away".

More likely you'll be glad it did its job (hopefully).

In my experience, textile/kevlar is fine for low speed (metro) crashes.

If you plan on doing high speed country runs, etc - get leathers.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Mybowlcut View Post
                      :
                      • Helmet (~$900)...200-300 for good helmet
                      • Gloves (~$100) 40-60 for a decent pair on sale
                      • Jacket (~$300) Keep an eye out on the for sale section. Can get for
                        less than 100 if you don't mind second hand

• Boots (~$500) A bit more tricky, but you can get for less than 200
                        if you shop around
                      • Jeans (~$250) $130 for Red Wolf sliders from Kit Bag (psb supporters)

If it's any help, I've trimed down your costs here .
                      Can you help with foster care?
                      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

When I started out, I was in a similar position to you financially and if you are just entering the bike scene there is no need to spend a lot of money straight away since it takes time and experience to work out what really works for you.

On the bike front, I got a CB250 for $2600. At the time, it was 6 years old with approx 14000km on the clock. It wasn't well suited to touring (as in, not at all) but it was fantastic around the city and actually saved me more money than it cost me.

Rego was about $200 per year
                        Comprehensive insurance was about $200 per year
                        + servicing (although these bikes are so simple, I usually did every second service myself)

It saved me $4.50 a day in parking which meant that I was saving avound $1000 a year just by using it instead of the car and that's before we even start comparing the 35km/L on the bike to the fuel guzzling early 80's Landcruiser I was driving at the time!

As for gear, I bought a Collins leather jacket for around $500 - you can get them cheaper but I found Collins did a nice ladies cut.

HJC helmet was around $250 - about 50% off on sale. (Black, grey, silver and white = very neutral colours - right on thro!)
                        Draggin Jeans $189 - also on sale
                        Dri-Rider Gloves $79

( .....I feel like I need a priceless in here somewhere.....!)

Don't forget to check out the specials racks. Last years colours or designs don't make helmets or jackets any less safe!

Later on, I spent another $600 on a Dri Rider suit.

All of this gear, I still have and use regularly and it is only now, 7 years later that I am starting to upgrade some of it.

I haven't worn proper motorcycle boots in all that time, I usually ride with either my goretex hike boots or my workboots. They will be my next purchase......

....which brings me to the best news for your situation.....

Perth Bike Show - next weekend - all the major brands with a huge range of accessories and (fingers crossed) some decent show specials all under 1 roof!

Good luck with your hunting

C

Comment

Very helpful, thanks Roger Explosion and thro.

Comment

Originally posted by westchick78 View Post
                            When I started out, I was in a similar position to you financially and if you are just entering the bike scene there is no need to spend a lot of money straight away since it takes time and experience to work out what really works for you.

On the bike front, I got a CB250 for $2600. At the time, it was 6 years old with approx 14000km on the clock. It wasn't well suited to touring (as in, not at all) but it was fantastic around the city and actually saved me more money than it cost me.

Rego was about $200 per year
                            Comprehensive insurance was about $200 per year
                            + servicing (although these bikes are so simple, I usually did every second service myself)

It saved me $4.50 a day in parking which meant that I was saving avound $1000 a year just by using it instead of the car and that's before we even start comparing the 35km/L on the bike to the fuel guzzling early 80's Landcruiser I was driving at the time!

As for gear, I bought a Collins leather jacket for around $500 - you can get them cheaper but I found Collins did a nice ladies cut.

HJC helmet was around $250 - about 50% off on sale. (Black, grey, silver and white = very neutral colours - right on thro!)
                            Draggin Jeans $189 - also on sale
                            Dri-Rider Gloves $79

( .....I feel like I need a priceless in here somewhere.....!)

Don't forget to check out the specials racks. Last years colours or designs don't make helmets or jackets any less safe!

Later on, I spent another $600 on a Dri Rider suit.

All of this gear, I still have and use regularly and it is only now, 7 years later that I am starting to upgrade some of it.

I haven't worn proper motorcycle boots in all that time, I usually ride with either my goretex hike boots or my workboots. They will be my next purchase......

....which brings me to the best news for your situation.....

Perth Bike Show - next weekend - all the major brands with a huge range of accessories and (fingers crossed) some decent show specials all under 1 roof!

Good luck with your hunting

C
                            Wow thanks so much for taking the time to write that! Bike show sounds like a great idea.

Do you still keep a car or do you just have the bike and that's it?

Comment

^^ as a noob, i'd also suggest shopping around for gloves, and make sure you try on plenty of different pairs to get a decent fit, and the right glove for the time of year.

one pair of gloves does not suit every occasion.

what works well in summer with good feel, you will freeze your hands in, in winter.

Also, while you're at it, buy a set of plastic wet weather over-pants. You can pick some up for 30 to 40 bucks or less. Even if you don't plan on riding in the rain extensively, you can take them with you if it looks a bit dodgy, and you'll find them well worth the money.

cold water dribbling down into you crotch as you ride home is quite unpleasant.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X