To HID or not to HID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To HID or not to HID?

Heres my pitch, I crashed 2 weeks ago because some bloke simply didnt see me in the dark and decided to turn in front of me. Ive now been told by a psb'er that HID's woould increase visibility aswell as how much i can see riding at night....... So im just curious to see what kits people recommend from ebay or the like, what kind of light aka 6000k 8000k and whatnot and are they Legal? p.s. this is for an 06hyo gt250r

Hi Antoineperth, I too am thinking about upgrading to a HID kit, as it does increase your visiblity immensely (If you seen those new cars with those super bright HID lights as you're driving). It also does increase visibility aswell, not only that they last longer and give off a really nice colour (you can have different tints to the lights but some are illegal).

The only problem is installing them, I've read off a few threads that they can lower/flicker to your idle rpm's and if you don't install them properly, you can blow them out. I recomend you go out to a store and buy some, atleast then if they blow out (which alot of ebay ones have been known to do), you can atleast return it.

Comment

Love my HID's, would'nt go back to std.
      Technically they are not legal, but I doubt your going to get done for them unless you run into a total fuktard of a popo.
      Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ght=hid+lights
        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ght=hid+lights

Search is your friend

Comment

can i be a real noob and ask what they are?

Comment

I am interested as well - I think a part of the problem is that your hyo lights are projector type and as such the brightness is dramatically lowered for anything on the dark side of the light / not light boundary. I would want an HID on my high beam for corners as it is effectively pitch black on low beam and highbeam is woeful.
            Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

^ those real bright lights that come standard on 300c's and lots of new beamers.
              plus the young kids (heheh) put them in Corolla's

ring a bell?

Comment

the only thing really worrying me is that ive got led lights and a screaming demon muffler (brought with it on the bike) which are both illegal, so i dont really want to attract more attention with a set of HID's if theyre illegal, anyone on here actually put them on a hyo?

Comment

I loved them until they blew up on my hyobusa, I'm waiting for the warranty replacement ballasts to show up now and will reinstall.

I would not go over 6000K - the higher, the bluer/purpler and the more likely you are to draw the wrong kind of attention to yourself. 5000K is a good, clean yellow-white daylight, 5800K has a slight blueish tinge to it and after that you're moving out of the optimal wavelengths for vision and thus are exchanging function (being able to see) with pretty light wankery.

Be prepared to adjust the lamp height, keep the old lights in case you get a licky. This is unlikely but it's not hard to pack the old bulbs in foam.

With a projector setup (ie big cokebottle lens in front of the bulb rather than fresnel/reflector combo that most cars and bikes use) you're one step ahead in that the beam pattern won't change a great deal, just be brighter.

Go for it - you can get kits off fleabay for a couple hundred bucks delivered for both high and low beam. I believe Dubs is flogging 'em too.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

DUBS does a HID kit doesnt he..

that's the next thing going on my bike...
                    Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, but glory lasts forever.

afterall, a bit of pain never hurt anyone!

Comment

Ok heres my 2c

I love HID's, and have run them on my car for many years without any dramas. Im running 6500k lights with bosch ballasts. As long as they are used in a proper housing (i have projector bulbs) then they are great, they tend not to work too well in just a standard housing.

However, I'm not the biggest fan of having HID's on motorbikes, mainly because of the suspension travel and rate on the bike causes alot of 'bobbing' in the beam, which is VERY annoying for any body in front. This is the main reason I havent fit HID's to my bike yet, because i believe it would be annoying for anyone that isnt me.
                      Originally posted by polonY
                      Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by PBF View Post
                        Hi Intensity Discharge ( HID )

I fitted them to my CBR, got them from StarRotors.com , about $150ish IIRC. I'm lukewarm about them. They were a pain in the arse to fit ( generic fitment ), had to shag around to get the bulbs to sit the correct distance from the reflector ( still not right ), high beam doesn't come on bright the instant you flick the switch like normal bulbs ( HID's take 5 - 10 seconds to warm up to full brightness so no good for flashing people ), and you get the bobble effect that someone eluded to. The light on the road to help me see where I'm going is only marginally better, but I think other people can see me a lot better because the light is bright white, not a soft yellow as standard ( I have the 6000K ones ).

All up, I wouldn't bother doing it again, cost v benefit ratio is not favourable enough in my book. I'm tossing up whether to fit the standard lamp back into the high beam side so I can have instant extra light when I need / want it.
                        BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

^i would rather be considerate too, But my standard's are too dim to
                          Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
                            Love my HID's, wouldn't go back to std.
                            Technically they are not legal, but I doubt your going to get done for them unless you run into a total fucktard of a PoPo.
                            Originally posted by PBF View Post
                            See below and Jaffa's post

Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
                            ^ those real bright lights that come standard on 300c's and lots of new beamers.
                            plus the young kids (heheh) put them in Corolla's

ring a bell?
                            Originally posted by JAFA View Post
                            Hi Intensity Discharge ( HID )

I fitted them to my CBR, got them from StarRotors.com , about $150ish IIRC. I'm lukewarm about them. They were a pain in the arse to fit ( generic fitment ), had to shag around to get the bulbs to sit the correct distance from the reflector ( still not right ), high beam doesn't come on bright the instant you flick the switch like normal bulbs ( HID's take 5 - 10 seconds to warm up to full brightness so no good for flashing people ), and you get the bobble effect that someone eluded to. The light on the road to help me see where I'm going is only marginally better, but I think other people can see me a lot better because the light is bright white, not a soft yellow as standard ( I have the 6000K ones ).

All up, I wouldn't bother doing it again, cost v benefit ratio is not favourable enough in my book. I'm tossing up whether to fit the standard lamp back into the high beam side so I can have instant extra light when I need / want it.
                            I have had them in my HB and LB on my 98 BB for over 2 years now and wouldn't be without them So much more visible to cagers and so much easier to see Roos etc out of town :o
                            I didn't find them all that hard to fit on my BB, hardest part was making some brackets for the ballasts but most kits these days have slimline ballasts so are easier to fit
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I have them on my accord euro and have grown very used to them, love the spread of light and the range, when I first got my bike I found the light output appaling! So i've ordered some HIDs 6000K from some US site, will post some pics showing before/after when I install them.

Just make sure you set the cut-off beam low enough, and if your bike uses both lights for low beam, make sure you slightly dip your right one to not blind the peeps on the other side of the road.
                              Last edited by Neonkore; 17-09-2009, 06:07 PM. Reason: spl

Comment

Working...
                              X