Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having a bike as only mode of transport

Hey Everyone,

I am just looking around for my first bike. I am thinking about having it as my sole mode of transport for maybe 6 months or so. What does everyone think??

I live about 15 mins from town and work. My girlfriend does have her car incase i need to use it, but obviously she will be using it most of the time for work etc.

welcome

I have a car but it hasnt been driven in about a month, i ride everyday even if its raining. When i get the new bike early next year i will be selling the car as i can always like you use the gf's car if need be.
    RIP ADRIAN LEE
    16-12-1986 - 22-3-2007
    I had plenty of time to rub one out in space which was great but after awhile it was like living in a snowglobe - Peter Griffin

Comment

I do it..

Its awesome.
      You talk about domination, but have you ever caress her spine with your fingertips, Bedded her for the night, or gotten lost in her beauty?

Comment

some people can, some can't

i find i do occasionally NEED a car and i don't want to rely on others to lend me theirs. plus it's nice to have if thunderstorms are expected...

pos bunky + nice bike is a popular choice
        Last edited by Cip; 07-10-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Welcome.

Bike has been my only transport for 3 years+, no big dramas you will need a car every now and then but not worth having both, well for me anyways

Comment

I'd suggest riding in winter for a year before making your choice.

If you don't like (or can at least tolerate) riding in rain for weeks at a time, then keep a car. Bunky or whatever, as previously mentioned.

Having a car is handy for carrying stuff - I've got both but the only time the car really gets used is going out where bike gear would be quite inappropriate or to pick up things I can't carry on the bike...
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Past 2 years bike only, have never owned a car myself

If I need to transport something that is impossible to do on the motorcycle, friends have cars and are happy to help when they get a free moment

If I am going somewhere and don't want to carry around gear, I borrow boot space or floorspace

I carry helmet/jacket around at uni all day when I go, doesn't bother me as you usually just move from one place where you are sitting to another. Ditto for work

Riding around is infinitely more fun than driving, any inconvenience is worth it simply for that imo

Comment

i was in same situation about 3 months ago and made a thread titled exact same.

I now have my bike as daily transport, riding in the rain sux its cold and you get wet.
                If you need to get anythin say after work and you only have a 1hr time frame can be difficult if what you need to get cant go on the bike. eg: needed to get tire changed over on dirt bike, had to keep putting it of till i had a free saturday and i could pinch my gf's car.

But riding daily is great fun, plus i go down a fairly quiety but twisty/hilly road to get to work. I have also lost some weight since gettin my bike this is mainly because i no longer have a couple beers after work and i can no longer quickly nip thru the maccas drive thru on way home to grab an afternoon snack.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

You won't have any problems so long as a) you don't do huge trips of grocery shopping and b) your GF doesn't mind providing her car whenever you go somewhere together.
                  sigpic

Comment

I love riding in the rain because I am not at a point where I am pushing the bike so hard that rain slows me down a lot but I love the extra care and attention that is needed. I also obviously love riding whatever the weather though. I love to drive as well so having the option there is nice because sometimes I want to sit back, relax and listen to music. I personally wouldn't be happy without having both of them. Asked yourself whether you love to drive as well as ride and would you need to transport things often that are to big for the bike?
                    Originally Posted by Maxo
                    do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                    to Butters

Comment

I am surprised Retro hasn't chimed in. I don't think he has seen the inside of a car in years.

Comment

Originally posted by black View Post
                        Hey Everyone,

I am just looking around for my first bike. I am thinking about having it as my sole mode of transport for maybe 6 months or so. What does everyone think??

I live about 15 mins from town and work. My girlfriend does have her car incase i need to use it, but obviously she will be using it most of the time for work etc.
                        I've been using a bike as a sole form of transport for 15 of the 21 years I've had a licence.

Just do eet.
                        You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

I've did it for about three years. Do you live with your girlfriend? If so, you will always have a cage to fall back on when you need to carry large items.
                          Riding in the rain shouldn't bother you if you have good wet weather gear and ride to the condtions.
                          The only thing I will warn you about, is the fact that commuting on your bike every day does has the potential to suck the joy out of riding come weekend time. Just throwing that out there.
                          Can you help with foster care?
                          http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by black View Post
                            Hey Everyone,

plus you'll save money insurance/fuel and rego. i'm thinking of doing the same.

Comment

How do you carry the cartons home?
                              A man's dog can live on nothing but anger, the taste of its own balls and smaller dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X