Aww, it's broken - Aprilia RS250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    Are the end cans as yellow as the Arrow ones?
    They're not, quite. I wonder if the Tyga ones would fit...
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

• Try tzmike cans if you want nice carbon.
      Silencers - a set on Flickr
      Can't wait to see this at the two stroke ride this year

Comment

• I got tyga end cans on my cagiva they look better than yellow

Comment

• Originally posted by Gangus View Post
          Can't wait to see this at the two stroke ride this year
          with 5 months to go and winter in the way i think it will be a challenge

Comment

• Netball is not a valid excuse................ only valid if it is a cover for perving

Comment

• Originally posted by EEKNOWS View Post
              Netball is not a valid excuse................ only valid if it is a cover for perving
              i think it's "men's" netball......

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Loud View Post
              They're not, quite. I wonder if the Tyga ones would fit...
              What about jolly moto ones? Like on your 125?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                i think it's "men's" netball......

- - - Updated - - -

What about jolly moto ones? Like on your 125?
                It's "mixed" netball, thank you very much.

Urgh, who could have thought that exhausts could be so much work. I kinda thought, when I bought a new set of pipes online, that I could just bolt them on and be happy. But no. Did they look good? Yes. Could they look better? Probably. And so this weekend saw me spend some hours doing just that.

First up, I'm a fan of the welds and blueing you see on race pipes. If the pipes were steel I'd lacquer them to keep this pattern. But these aren't, I spent the extra cash for stainless steel. And knowing that some brands have a propensity for their stainless pipes to crack, and following a discussion with [MENTION=26644]xlecortina[/MENTION] and another experienced welder/boilermaker at skating, I decided to polish the pipes.

First stop was Bunnings, to pick up some polishing mops to suit a bench grinder as well as the relevant polishing pastes. Then it was home to modify them to fit my old grinder, as well as stripping the grinder and mounting it to a saw horse so that I had plenty of wiggle room to rotate the pipes around.

A quick blat with a Mouse sander with a steel wool attachment, with some Autosol for good measure, saw the welds clean up as well as the minor scratches. Then it was on to the sisal buff with some quick cut (an hour per pipe) and then the rag buff with some brown polish (another hour...). They already look like chrome and I still have the white polish to run on the lambswool buff - sweet!! A few more hours and they should be ready for the bike

Then there's just the matter of those stingers... [MENTION=30566]Sharky[/MENTION] the Jolly Moto one on the 125 is a nice bit of kit - except that it's branded "Jolly Moto" in green lettering, and that's not the pipes I have... I've had a pair of carbon Tyga stingers offered to me by a forum member and so I'll look at that a bit closer, also just seeing what the current ones look like when they're on, then it's time to look at the ones [MENTION=17757]Gangus[/MENTION] suggested.

I'm appreciated the support and ribbing I'm getting here guys - thanks for focussing me on the important things in life
                Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

• Im not going to say that you may have wasted your time and efforts, but I thought that stainless pipes / trim on pipes will discolour after polishing regardless, once they have had some gas & heat through them... Sure, the polishing starts off looking great & the pipes look better than when you got them, but once the bike has been used and the pipes take on that milky brown tinge (would be fine if it were the blue tinge that Ti pipes take on), they have to be re-polished again constantly to get them back to looking as they were.

I have heard that there is a new coating that CIC offer for stainless pipes that stops the onset of the colouring... Havent ever seen it in person, but maybe check that out...

Comment

• Ah yup I forgot they have the branding on the JM cans.... Don't the tyga ones also have branding tho!? The ones Gangus posted up look sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty32 View Post
                      Im not going to say that you may have wasted your time and efforts, but I thought that stainless pipes / trim on pipes will discolour after polishing regardless, once they have had some gas & heat through them... Sure, the polishing starts off looking great & the pipes look better than when you got them, but once the bike has been used and the pipes take on that milky brown tinge (would be fine if it were the blue tinge that Ti pipes take on), they have to be re-polished again constantly to get them back to looking as they were.

I have heard that there is a new coating that CIC offer for stainless pipes that stops the onset of the colouring... Havent ever seen it in person, but maybe check that out...
                      Good query and thanks for the tip off regarding CIC. Here's my logic:

According to two people with far greater knowledge than I on the subject of welding, Stainless seams are prone to rusting due to the carbon being drawn to the surface in the process. Despite every indication that the welding on these pipes is first class, I don't want to take the risk - particularly when I've heard about stainless pipes cracking (although this was on another brand). So the recommendation was to polish the seams for longevity.

I liked the finish that it left the factory with, however it seems impossible to keep "new" looking. At some point there's something that Oven Cleaner won't remove, which leads to something abrasive being used to remove spots. No matter how fine the abrasion - even a light polish like Purple Polish - it changes the appearance of that patch of metal. So I might as well polish the whole thing now, it's far easier to keep clean and match up later on.

As for the coating, I'm reluctant to do it again on a set of 2t chambers. Everything from the theory behind it changing the dynamics of the pipe, to the difficulties with welding in bungs later on. Besides I'm keen to see how they do discolour - they "Blued" from the heat of the manufacturing process so maybe this grade of Stainless will do that instead?

Hmm. Maybe I can borrow an oxy and pre-blue them...
                      Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                      1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

• When I had my lomas pipes repaired by kermit on here, he told me that polishing the welds weakened them, and he wasn't impressed with the lack of filler rod used. The only reason I had them repaired was due to a crack from a gsxr1000 hitting me at 90' at the club round pile up 3 years ago. My pipes went a straw colour, fwiw. And it took a good year for my big toenail to look half decent :0

Comment

• Originally posted by Gangus View Post
                          When I had my lomas pipes repaired by kermit on here, he told me that polishing the welds weakened them, and he wasn't impressed with the lack of filler rod used. The only reason I had them repaired was due to a crack from a gsxr1000 hitting me at 90' at the club round pile up 3 years ago. My pipes went a straw colour, fwiw. And it took a good year for my big toenail to look half decent :0
                          I'll settle for straw-coloured over brown any day But I really am considering getting the joints blue again.

As for the differences in opinion regarding the welds, I can't offer anything to the discussion other than that I've seen some nice welds before and these are up there - although still a way off of the superb craftmanship on my 2001 Cannondale CAAD4 frame. Did he maybe mean grinding the welds back? I'm not doing that, simply making them shiny by removing the carbon.

They're lying in my living room at the moment. One of my housemates had a guest over last night and the first thing he said was "woah, shiny pipes!". I can't wait until they're finished and on the bike!
                          Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

• polished and blued again.... lomas pipes are pretty good welds in my opinion...

these are Rogers athena pipes

1984 rz 350 stroker
                            1984 rz 500 original
                            2004 mv agusta f4 1000
                            1994 mitsubishi magna wagon

Comment

• Just wanted to post up so you know I'm not slacking off

Spent another two or so hours on the pipes this weekend - Sunday to be precise. Now to wiggle the pipes around my polisher it takes a fair bit of space, so this process takes place just outside my little workroom in the open air. The weather on Sunday was periods of rain, therefore the process went like this:

Setup, polish, rain, swear, pack away, watch an episode or two of Game of Thrones. Setup, polish, rain, swear, pack away, watch an episode or two of Game of Thrones. And so on, until it also became dark at which point I gave up.

Both pipes have now had a go-over with quick-cut and sisal, then tripoli and rag buff. Now to set up the loose calico buff and see just how shiny they turn out - they're already gleaming but you can see the polishing swirls depending upon which way the light hits them.

Then to put them on
                              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

• Before:

After:

Perfect enough, I think
                                Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                                1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment