rd350lc reeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rd350lc reeds

hi all. has anyone used vforce yz85 reeds on their 350lc. im currently using stock modified cages and reeds cos thats all i had at hand on my 350lc race bike. my current setup is fully ported barrels by karel zeigers, tz chambers and 34mm tz powejet carbs. what are a good set of cages and reeds to use bearing in mind its a race bike only. i only mention the yz85 vforce as ive been told the fit and work well. the inlet on the barrels have been opened right up and look like they will accept a much bigger higher flowing cage and reed. cheers ash

Nar but read the same stuff on the yz85 reeds. the VF3 and 4 work reportably well on the RZ's, but I don't think there is enough room in the 4lO intake to open up that far. I run banchee fibre reeds in my RZ they work fine.

There are a few racers here. DJ races an LC he may have some contemporary information with regards.

Comment

Originally posted by rg350lc View Post
      hi all. has anyone used vforce yz85 reeds on their 350lc. im currently using stock modified cages and reeds cos thats all i had at hand on my 350lc race bike. my current setup is fully ported barrels by karel zeigers, tz chambers and 34mm tz powejet carbs. what are a good set of cages and reeds to use bearing in mind its a race bike only. i only mention the yz85 vforce as ive been told the fit and work well. the inlet on the barrels have been opened right up and look like they will accept a much bigger higher flowing cage and reed. cheers ash
      Yes they can be fitted to a LC without to much drama. On a LC you want to change the ignition before anything else.

Comment

hi I have reeds that are from the 2 stroke shop .v force from memory but the bloke there would know .I had to remove a lot of metal to get them in to the 4 lo barrels but they work very well .I also have an rz crank that is modified by the 2 stroke shop fitted to my race bike that means the crank pins and rods can be pressed out and replaced a good mod!! my lc is very reliable and gets along ok too!

Comment

Originally posted by EEKNOWS View Post
          Yes they can be fitted to a LC without to much drama. On a LC you want to change the ignition before anything else.
          Advance / retard or cd1 change to the zeel?
          While your on EEknows, and keeping on track with the thread, I will be building bog stock motor in the coming months. Your thoughts on the simplest and most reliable set up for a bit more horses would be most appreciated. Please don't hold back. If a zeel,pipes and PWK28 flatslides are needed to achieve a really good outcome then let it all out.

Comment

the engine i have does have a different ignition of so me sort. all the mods weren't carried out by me and the previous owner was a bit short of info. the carbs are 34mm mikuni powerjets from a tz500g. they are marked 4ao-00. pipes look like they are tz maybee. took it out for its first trackday last Sunday and it absolutely flies. feels and pulls really clean and strong all the way to 10k rpm and still wanted to pull past that mark. i think there would be more in it with some better flowing cages and reeds. the old man is an engineer by trade and just so happened to have bought a new milling machine so i think i might get him on the job of making me some custom cages and see how we go. pretty happy with the way this bike performs and handles especially being in a rg250 chassis

Comment

I am using stock cages filed out to 80% of carb bore diameter (28mm) with dual stage fibre reeds, but have a set of single petal YZ85 reed cages to try next year but so far the current set up is running well. I can vouch for yellow LC's bike it flies . For historic racing I'd recommend making the bike more reliable and getting more laps in is the key for better times than chasing every last bit of HP. I run an electrex world ignition with a set ignition curve.
              For a quick road SH, raise exhaust port by 1mm and shape polish and smooth transfers and inlet, dual stage reeds, set squish to 1mm and remachine combustion chamber to releive CR, 14 degree to match piston dome angle from memory. 28mm carbs from A/C RD , uni filters.
              There are two questions in life.
              1:Which way do I go
              2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Cheers got all that DJ I will measure exhaust ports to make sure they have not already been done. Will also make a lap wheel for polish job as previously discussed.
                CR is that Crown Radious?
                PS I have some 28pwks, but I have to get some n68x or N99 needles before I dare put them on a rebuilt engine.
                Keeping with thread subject Boysens or TDR's, on HV Cycle Boysen dual stage are 70 a pair, TDR are 35 a pair.
                Boysens are also sold by Econom Cycley at around 70. I have run Boysens in RZ's I have owned but always wanted the v force.
                Might price up the v force YZ85 next. advice and info on the LC engine is much appreciated.

Comment

Sorry mate , compression ratio , if not lowered can cause detonation using lower octane fuel.
                  There are two questions in life.
                  1:Which way do I go
                  2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Got ya, so to understand it better as im nearly fifty but still on my L's, re building small engines. If I reprofile the head, eg shave it to get the squish down to 1 mill, I need to maintain the existing size of where the combustion is initiated otherwise I could end up with to high a compression.

Comment

eg if I shave the head, I need to take about the same amount of the dome?

Comment

Originally posted by seahorse View Post
                        Advance / retard or cd1 change to the zeel?
                        While your on EEknows, and keeping on track with the thread, I will be building bog stock motor in the coming months. Your thoughts on the simplest and most reliable set up for a bit more horses would be most appreciated. Please don't hold back. If a zeel,pipes and PWK28 flatslides are needed to achieve a really good outcome then let it all out.
                        Is it a road or track bike? I don't think the flatslides will make a measurable difference, pipes and a Zeel is a great start. I normaly lower the cylinder a fair bit and never raise the exhaust port.

Comment

Thankyou EEKNOWS and DJ for you input.
                          It will be road based so, midrange is the aim. I dont want to bomb the shit out of but prepared to put the time in and spend a bit of cashola on some good pipes, and if need be a zeel.
                          I hadnt planned on going as far as removing the base gasket and machine the bottom of the cylinders? I wasnt planning on getting to far off track.
                          Just basic and hopefully recoverable mods.
                          At any rate so down the track if the squish, was set, and the inlets and exhaust cleaned up, the reeds opened up and some nice pipes fitted, would one then get a zeel and run a 31k curv to tie it all together? Or is the standard CDI fine and say retart the timing to 1.6 BTDC to get good midrange.

Comment

Lowering the cylinders is where you WANT start and you won't be going back from that set up. Leaves you less machining on the cylinder head as well. Leave the exhaust duct alone, and never run tjkr pistons
                            Retarding the timing won't change the mid range, only top end/over rev, standard curve is pretty shit.

Comment

in regards to the zeel ignition controller can this be run without a battery as per my current ignition or will it need a power source? what are they worth Inc hand held controller? any for sale on these boards?

Comment

Working...
                              X