Aprilia RS125 Clutch Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aprilia RS125 Clutch Trouble

Hi guys. The clutch in my bike hasn't been disengaging (ie pull on lever, shift into first from neutral, rear wheel still turns). I've tried adjusting it as per the Haynes manual to no avail. I've rebuilt it with the old friction plates and filed the marks out of the clutch housing (a bit over-zealously, so some of the teeth aren't that straight anymore), made no difference. I've been trying to put it in with new clutch plates, but it won't go onto the shaft (clutch housing and plates/centre/springs etc go on separately but not together - I think I've put it together with the clutch plates not centered properly). I will put it together again, but I was wondering if there are any ways I can see if it's gonna work before I put the oil in and go through all that again? What should I be looking for? Are there any tests I can do before I put it onto the bike?

I've got uprated springs now and I've been torquing the clutch spring bolts to 7 Nm as per the Haynes guide - that means I put it together, evenly tighten the bolts down in a criss-cross action which takes aaages until the springs are compressed and the bolt feels "all the way in", then use the torque wrench to tighten to 7 Nm. Is this the correct procedure? I've heard talk of just lightly tightening the bolts instead of doing it this way.

I'm getting a bit sick of it and just want my clutch to work. Can you guys give me some guidance please?

Thanks!

sounds like you have clutch drag

only trouble is that wet clutches need oil to operate

use grease on your clutch cover gasket if you think its coming on and off a few times

did it happen or has been there ever since you owned the bike?

just make sure you are using correct oil weight and not friction modified

as for assembly dont get to anal over that procedure as 7nm is fuck all

just make sure the you have the plates in the correct order

check you are getting the correct travel on the clutch lever and compare it to the specs

also make sure you get the correct springs and not heavy duty or race ones as they can give you the same symptoms

good luck

Comment

Did you soak the plates for at least 24 hours prior to putting them in the basket? Also, the Haynes manual is WRONG for the clutch adjustment. Download the aprilia manual and use that, the Haynes manual adjustment will make your clutch slip or not disengage at all.
      Last edited by Sharky; 15-01-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Did you soak the plates for at least 24 hours prior to putting them in the basket? Also, the Haynes manual is WRONG for the clutch adjustment. Download the aprilia manual and use that, the Haynes manual adjustment will make your clutch slip or not disengage at all.
        well their you go

take this mans advise as he's got one - you dont have a link for him do ya mate

Comment

I'll try find the link, on holidays ATM... Unless mr Loud comes in here. He'll solve your problem :-)

Comment

Lol bloody aprilia's once again my cagiva has never let me down hahahahahaha

Comment

Reading between the lines I'd say that AAA is right. If you have the bike on a rear stand, start the motor, hold in the clutch and put the bike in to gear then the rear wheel will turn - clutch drag as a result of a wet clutch.

If I'm mistaken and you mean that your bike wants to lurch forwards when you select first gear, or pulls you forward when you're trying to be at standstill, then I'd say your clutch cable or pressure plate is out of adjustment. As Sharky says, the manual explains it poorly - it says to wind the key all the way in when it should say "wind it until it touches the pressure plate ball bearing, then wind it back half a turn".

As for assembly - you saw that one plate (the outer plate) is turned one tooth out of sequence to the others? I don't torque mine, hand tight with a 1/4" drive is fine.

So pretty much everyone in this thread has been spot on, except for the Cagiva owner
              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by pesty74 View Post
                The aprilia is a sexy, finely tuned, highly strung beast and on occasion has a few hic-ups.Your cagaiva is just having pity on you for buying it in the first place.

Comment

The aprilia is a sexy, finely tuned, highly strung beast and on occasion has a few hic-ups.Your cagaiva is just having pity on you for buying it in the first place.
                  Which he should know, being that he now owns one
                  Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                  1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I still can't believe your selling your little one :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                      Which he should know, being that he now owns one
                      says the two blokes with non workinging rs125 - maate

and the poor bloke that started the thread trying to sort his out

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Super Roo Charters View Post
                        says the two blokes with non workinging rs125 - maate
                        125 engines do become more tempramental when they're wound up and putting out the same power as older 250 2 strokes...
                        Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                        1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

My cagiva screams reliability lol

Comment

My cagiva screams reliability lol
                            Is that flywheel glued on properly now?
                            Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Hahahaah dammit it was from factory but all good bad vibration long gone

- - - Updated - - -

That was the only hick up In the 3yrs of owning it other than that it's perfect

Comment

Working...
                              X