Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized PV

G'day ...

I've been restoring a 2004 Aprilia RS125 which I picked up recently.

However, I've run into a little hitch which I can't seem to easily solve, so far.

On examination of the barrel I found that the power valve had seized itself inside the shaft because of a lack of maintenance.

It is totally gummed up and refuses to move...despite my best efforts to get the bitch-of-a-thing out.

I've soaked it in WD-40, kero and various other substances, to no avail.

I tried applying heat to the barrel but the damn PV still refuses to come out.

I'm contemplating just tossing the whole barrel complete with PV into the bin, unless someone can give me a clue on how to remove the obstinate mongrel PV thing.

Thanks,

R.

sat in a bucket of petrol for a few days with occasional agitation hasn't dissolved enough to free it?
    faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Another. Bloody aprilia Get hold of loud he will help you out on ur 125 as he has a lot exp on rebuilding an go fast bits for them

Comment

Originally posted by Biffer View Post
        sat in a bucket of petrol for a few days with occasional agitation hasn't dissolved enough to free it?
        Haven't tried that yet..but I will.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by pesty74 View Post
        Another. Bloody aprilia Get hold of loud he will help you out on ur 125 as he has a lot exp on rebuilding an go fast bits for them
        Yeah, I have read all his experiences on the forum with his Aprilia's

Maybe he knows something.......

Comment

If you're restoring it, you'll no doubt need to get the barrel off anyway to replace the piston so def pull it off and give her a soak. it's no doubt fucked, so don't worry about using a bit of brute force

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            If you're restoring it, you'll no doubt need to get the barrel off anyway to replace the piston so def pull it off and give her a soak. it's no doubt fucked, so don't worry about using a bit of brute force

Yep, I have the barrel off. I'll soak it for a few days, then getta-bigga-hamma...

R.

Comment

You've got the housing off, it's just the blade stuck in the barrel? And now the barrel is off and in the bucket of petrol. Well that should help. I've got a mint Mitaka barrel and new power valve here if it comes to that.
              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                Yep, I have the barrel off. I'll soak it for a few days, then getta-bigga-hamma...

R.
                Good Luck mate, these things are great to tinker on... I've still got an unfinished one in the shed all tricked up Might even finish it one day

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                  You've got the housing off, it's just the blade stuck in the barrel? And now the barrel is off and in the bucket of petrol. Well that should help. I've got a mint Mitaka barrel and new power valve here if it comes to that.
                  Thanks Loud. I've ordered a shed load of parts from PJME just lately, which included a new complete top end kit and a PV kit.

I'm thinking that I'll eventually follow in your steps and big bore the motor but not before I have a play with the bike in stock form.

Meantime, I'm forced to wait for all the parts from the UK.

They are fun to tinker on, it brings back memories of my two stroke racing years...

R.

Comment

I'm still selling my cagiva

Comment

Dammit, you know you're getting old when you see "Seized PV" and wonder if it was a Sandman with a 253 or 308.

Edit: and if it had a "four on the floor" bolted to the donk.

Shit.

There's an idea.

Why don't all the old farts get together and put 70s and 80s words back out there?

Will confuse the crap out of the current generation of kids.

Revenge.
                      Last edited by Phildo; 18-02-2014, 03:46 PM.
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Can you dunk it in an ultrasonic cleaner if the petrol bath doesn't loosen it up? Good for all of this sort of work.

Comment

Originally posted by fred99999au View Post
                          Can you dunk it in an ultrasonic cleaner if the petrol bath doesn't loosen it up? Good for all of this sort of work.
                          Sure, but my current ultrasonic is on the fritz so I'll have to get another one when I get around to it.

Right now the barrel is in a tub of petrol, soaking. No worries though, I have a new barrel ready to go on sitting on the work bench top.

R.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                            Dammit, you know you're getting old when you see "Seized PV" and wonder if it was a Sandman with a 253 or 308.

Edit: and if it had a "four on the floor" bolted to the donk.

Shit.

There's an idea.

Why don't all the old farts get together and put 70s and 80s words back out there?

Will confuse the crap out of the current generation of kids.

Revenge.

Celica 5 speed and an 1180 strip dominator man!
                            Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

I got the PV to come out finally. It was just crudded up with carbon, probably because the previous owner never even thought of regularly cleaning it.

This seems to be the key to these little strokers, keep the PV clean and they run well.

This is my first experience with Aprilia, all my previous has been with Japanese 2 strokes, and Bultaco/Montesa motors.

I never worked on Aprilia before this.

I can appreciate the engineering and design of these little gems and the way they perform though.

Currently, just waiting on a delivery from PJME to continue the re-build...

R.

Comment

Working...
                              X