Tyre + Sizes: RGV250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre + Sizes: RGV250

What tyre sizes are you guys running on your RGV250?

Currently running a 110/70 R17 Dunlop GPR70 SP and a 150/60 R17 Pirelli Diablo.

Looking at a set of the Dunlop GPR alpha10's or Michelin Pilot Powers.

Just curious as to what sizes you guys are running?

Originally I was considering going a 120/70 and a 160/60, but have been informed it might not be suited for street riding etc.

Thoughts?
    Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Pretty sure i have 110/70 front and 150/60 rear.

Pilot Race (soft).

Tip in is fast, grip is amazing... take a couple of corners to warm up tho.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Go 120 on the front as you'll be able to get better tyre compounds and slightly better turn in. I'd stay 150 on the back as it'll start affecting straight line stability if you go bigger. For outright performance go either Michelin Pilot Race or Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa, I can't recommend the Pirelli's highly enough though I may try the Pilot Race to see what they're like when I change rubber. My bike has done over 4000km on race tyres including a track day and there's still a mountain of use remaining in them. Because of the low power and torque you can run softer tyres and still get good mileage.

Comment

From what I've heard 120/70 on the front will be fine, but stick with the 150 on the rear
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

FYI: Tyres for bikes quoted me

$470 fitted for Pilot Powers (120/70 + 150/60)
          $460 fitted for BT92's (110/70 + 150/60)

Thats the stuff thats in stock. No other prices as the wholesalers are still on holidays.
          Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Comment

Don't go for the BT92s, they're a touring tyre (i had a set for a while as they were all I could get on short notice to get over the pits).

if you ride hard, you will go right off the edge of the rear pretty easy - they're simply not sporty enough for the RGV (run out of lean angle on them).

as dion said, due to the lack of weight and torque, street legal "race" rubber should give you half decent milage... just remember they might slide a little bit for the first few corners if you stuff it in too hard.

Pilot powers should be fine (i run power 2ct on the 600rr and love them) - are these because you need new tyres or want an improvement in grip?
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Oh and according to the dude at Tyres For Bikes (can't remember his name), apparently Pilot Race's are really hard to get / not available... He reckon's hes tried to get them for a few RGV owners but to no avail.

Originally posted by thro View Post
              are these because you need new tyres or want an improvement in grip?
              I need new tyres.

Comment

Go the pp's man, they're great for the street.
                PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Originally posted by chee View Post
                  Oh and according to the dude at Tyres For Bikes (can't remember his name), apparently Pilot Race's are really hard to get / not available... He reckon's hes tried to get them for a few RGV owners but to no avail.
                  Yeah, have heard that recently, I seem to have got mine just before they were hard to get (he could get Pilot RACE for me, but not Powers at the time, go figure).

That said... Powers will be plenty.

On my 600rr on powers, i have no chicken strips, and still have plenty of confidence in the tyres.

On the RGV on pilot race... well, its just ridiculous. I have about 1.5cm chicken strip left on the rear, and the amount of extra lean the tyres have available in that 1.5cm is just stupid (compare to BT92s, which I de-chicken stripped on the first day in the rain - they really are that "flat" and non-pointy).

There's no way I'm ever going to get to the edge of them on the RGV on the street... they're totally overkill.

Stick like shit to a blanket when warmed up tho.... powers seem to be a better wet tyre tho in my experience.

Comment

Go see Ric at motomax he's still got a few 150 supercorsa's in stock. There's also BT090 (I think) which is the bridgestone verison of road race rubber in that size range.

Comment

stick to 110s and 150s. 120s will affect your tip in, 160s i think start getting real close to the chain.

Comment

My TZR has 120 front and turns beautiful and I'm pretty sure Thro's front is a 120 too.

Comment

+1, I used to have a 120 on the front and it was harder to throw into corners.
                          PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

A larger tyre on the same size rim will make it turn better not worse. That could have been down to the tyre itself ie supercorsas (what I run) are a pointier tyre anyway.

Comment

thro is running a 110.

the 120/70 may arc up more from being squished on the rim but the side walls are higher than the 110/70 which will flatten it out. It's physically a bigger tyre so I wouldn't be surprised if the rotating weight plays a part too.

Comment

Working...
                              X