Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very loud RGV

Hi all,

My RGV is very loud, it has been like that since I got it, but now it is getting quite annoying to myself and other riders that are riding with me. It is loud enough that anyone behind me has to have their visor down otherwise it is deafening. I know this is not normal for an RGV because my brothers one is much quieter.

I was thinking the problem would be the mufflers and that replacing them would solve the problem. Would this be correct? Would changing the mufflers require re-jetting due to changing the exhaust restriction, or should the tune still be the same? Also, anyone know where I can get a cheap set of mufflers? I don't mind how scraped up they are as the fairings on the bike are already really bad so looks is not an issue.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Bernie says "think before you drive bribe"

Just repacking the stingers should make a huge difference.

It's easy enough to do yourself, or you can take them to somebody like Howler or Roo Racing to have them done.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Worn exhaust gaskets make them loud as well

Comment

.. pull stingers apart, clean & repack (assuming they are strippable), pics of wot ya got would help, are they stock?

EDIT: beaten, doh!
        .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

In addition to head pipe length, divergent and convergent cone lengths, an expansion chamber has three more crucial dimensions. The length of the straight 'belly' between the divergent and the convergent cones, the length of the tailpiece 'stinger', or muffler, and the diameter of the belly section. The stinger acts as a pressure bleed, allowing pressure to escape from the pipe. Back pressure in the pipe, caused by a smaller-diameter or longer stinger section, helps the wave action of the pipe, and can increase the engine's performance.
          How Two-Stroke Expansion Chambers Work, and Why You Should Care.

you should tightly pack the stinger (it forms a critical part of a 2T exhaust's tuning), total MC accessories or 2 wheel wreckers stock fibreglass packing
          Originally posted by Bendito
          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Exhaust gaskets are brand new after a rebuild, so that shouldn't be the problem. It was loud before the rebuild as well with the old exhaust gaskets, the noise didn't really change much between the two.

They can't be repacked because they are stock sealed up ones. Only option would be cutting them apart to repack and welding them back together.

Comment

Drop by my place, I have a few sets of stock mufflers kicking about, you can have a pair and see if it fixes it.

Comment

Buy the girly men you ride with ear plugs ?

Comment

Look at my signature, and mix the words loud and obnoxious in there somewhere. That should fix it.
                  I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

I ride in front, so I don't get gassed. His brother's on an RGV as well, and deserves everything he gets. I don't see the problem...
                    Insert witty comment here

Comment

Speaking of exhaust gaskets, I have a pair of new silver crush gaskets if anyone wants them.
                      Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
                        Drop by my place, I have a few sets of stock mufflers kicking about, you can have a pair and see if it fixes it.
                        Cool thanks for the offer, can you send me a PM with your details please?

Comment

I've also got a set of stock exhausts/mufflers you can have. I'm near vic park too. Must take it all though.
                          PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

That sounds like a better deal than mine, with pipes as well...

Comment

Originally posted by druu View Post
                              I've also got a set of stock exhausts/mufflers you can have. I'm near vic park too. Must take it all though.
                              Awesome, can you PM me your details please? Also what type of beer you drink, I will grab you a carton

Comment

Working...
                              X