Fuel Consumption RGV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Consumption RGV

So all you experianced RGV guys out there.

I still dont seem to get much over 100km before having to switch to reserve, what could be some causes. i have a knee recontruction due next month. so ill have a bit of time off, going to strip it down and do a top end over that time.

Any things to look for awhile i am in there.

Also anyone have experience with the taller first gear? can really see where it could be useful.

Causes: It's a 2 stroke.

I emptied the tank of an RS250 in 77km once. I got from A to B pretty fucking quickly though.

In all seriousness I don't think you've got a problem which is affecting fuel economy. 2 stroke 250s are worse than litrebikes for economy.

Comment

Think they averaged 10L/100km?, and more when you ride the tits of it.

Surely you knew this when you bought it?

Comment

Oh its not a problem in that way i'am loving the bike. Just several people replied to an earlier thread saying they get 150km before reserve. I ride it hard and always will do.

Comment

Man I don't know how you're only getting that much. Like I said, I was getting more than that when I had it. I even managed 140km's before having to top up during a trackday!

How are you throttling it? Maybe you're loading it too much by giving it too much throttle at low revs?
          PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Hey mate I pretty much keep it in powerband 98% of the time when iam proper riding. with the only time when iam from a standing start feathering it up into powerband.. if iam cruising on the fwy which has not been much ill normally kick it up a gear and sit in the 6 - 8k range just for smoothness.

But i'am sure you rode it hard aswell. was 140 the full tank or when you had to switch to reserve.. cause i got like 150 including reserve.

Either way i love her the closer i get to my R the more work i will do on her. i dont think ill sell it when i get a big bike.

Comment

Glad you're having fun with her.

I never hit reserve, I would always fill up after each weekend ride which would normally be around 120km's or so, so there was always fuel in the tank.

I did ride it hard but not always. A casual ride I wouldn't even hit powerband in ever gear, maybe change right at 8k if I was taking it easy and only hitting powerband occasionally to clear it's throat.

By all means, give it beans but if you're looking for better economy you don't need to be over 8k all the time. Between 5k and 8k for cruising in the appropriate gear (normally 4th or 5th if you're following the limit).

Some might say that's baby'ing but I don't think so. But like I said, I hit 140ish kms during the trackday I did before having to top up (still had fuel in the tank but was starving during some turns due to fuel level). I only throttled on if I could and tried not to load the motor too much.
              PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Yeah i never let it fully run out.. but as soon as i notice any starving in the throttle i swap it straight to reserve.

Comment

Giving any bike serious 'wellie' hurts economy a lot, 2 strokes in particular.

My 916 would do 220kms per tank on a country run with a spirited bit here & there, at the track it'd do 95kms. Compared to your 250 the 916 is frugal but gets thirsty when going hard.
                  .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

I was getting the same economy round barbs as on the street on my TZR. 110km was about all I'd ever get.

Comment

running (on the freeway)al the time at 7-8rmp is silly.
                      You will need to rebuild rather soon
                      Kick it up to top gear and just let it run along @
                      4-5ooo rpm when time to gas it up change back 2 gears!
                      as long as it has a constant load and runs smooth all is well.
                      to high an RPM/HP range when not having a propper load is harmfull to the engine.
                      learn to ride a street stroker in a propper way.

STROKERS ARE VERY THIRSTY full stop , when reved.
                      imagine a 500cc strokers thirst, I can, and it is wicket fun!
                      20 + liters in 100km's ohh yeah!
                      similar as my 351 when angry.
                      cannot make HP sause out of fresh air, need carbonicals

Comment

I get about 10-11L/100km on a regular basis on my RGV (powerband every gear up until the speed i need to sit at).

Depends how you ride it, but yes they are thirsty.

Jamathi: on the rgv, 100-110 ish (ok well maybe 130ish if i'm honest - "freeway speed") is about 7000-8000rpm in top gear

Solution: don't ride on the freeway if you can avoid it... take the "scenic route" where you have plenty of opportunity to vary engine load and rpm.

edit:
                        Druu - yeah, you were babying it

Remember, the oil injection has a throttle cable attached to it... no throttle = less oil... so don't be afraid to open that throttle if you need to when taking it up the revs. As jamathi said - lots of revs and no throttle/load = bad for a stroker...
                        Last edited by thro; 27-08-2009, 09:38 AM.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

fark, TZR 100 is 4500rpm just humming along!
                          stab it back 2 notches and off she goes.
                          You cannot beat Yamaha on rideability and performance (usable) on the street in 2 strokers.
                          even the RZ500 is by far the moost userfrendly ridable machine, far outweights the RG500 which is a menthal machine and the Honda 400 just does not have the ponies to compete.

Comment

Depends how your riding it as well.

Put some marks on the throttle, full close, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full open, work out what throttle position you sit at, you'll quicky see where the fuel is going.

Crusing you should be able to sit on 1/4. If you have to punch it through to 1/2 to maintain a crusing pace, you are too rich on the pilots.

This is where I got my fuel consumption, and low end rideability back. It picks up off the throttle a lot better as well. Reduced oil consumption a lot as well. But what works for me, may not work with you, and I have a fair amount of adjustability with the FCs to get my tune spot on for the day - which does change.

My cruising rpm is usually around 7k.

Comment

Heh... cruising along at 7000 on the RGV, you still need to drop it down 2 cogs if you want to get anywhere in a hurry

I think the 2MA doesn't quite rev as high as the RGV though (10k i'm guessing?) and is tuned for more mid-range...

After riding dion's TZR 3xv and my RGV back to back, street-friendliness and mid-range wise the TZR just kills the RGV. No top end kick though... just smooth progressive power... maybe because its a jap restricted model....
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X