Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGV 250 Parts

Hi,
    I'm a newby here and I was hoping for some advice.
    I have recently got myself a RGV250 (second bike), but joy of joys the pistons and cylinders are dead. The bike is currently stuck 5hrs from me and the local bike mechanic has quoted $500 each to have the cylinders re-coated which doesn't included new pistons, rings or labor. So i'm on the hunt for a better deal on parts. any help?

Originally posted by SCR View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a newby here and I was hoping for some advice.
    I have recently got myself a RGV250 (second bike), but joy of joys the pistons and cylinders are dead. The bike is currently stuck 5hrs from me and the local bike mechanic has quoted $500 each to have the cylinders re-coated which doesn't included new pistons, rings or labor. So i'm on the hunt for a better deal on parts. any help?
    what does the recoating process entail?

i am expecting that your mechanic is not going to go to the trouble of resealing the bores with nikasil without over-boring them first?

if its $500 for fresh oversize bore and nikasil seems pretty reasonable to me, the rebore alone should be around the $300 mark for two barrels

new pistons and rings for the overbore and new small end bearings should be less than $200ish?

dont really see the point of going to the effort and expense of rebuilding the motor with clapped out second hand parts.

your crank/big ends are within tolerances as well?
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

worth keeping in mind that NEW cylinders are about 650 each.

and they won't have any corrosion in the water galleries, etc - and will be at proper suzuki tolerances.

500 bucks per cylinder, i'd personally buy new ones (and maybe sell the old ones off cheap as suitable for re-plating).
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
        what does the recoating process entail?

i am expecting that your mechanic is not going to go to the trouble of resealing the bores with nikasil without over-boring them first?

if its $500 for fresh oversize bore and nikasil seems pretty reasonable to me, the rebore alone should be around the $300 mark for two barrels

new pistons and rings for the overbore and new small end bearings should be less than $200ish?

dont really see the point of going to the effort and expense of rebuilding the motor with clapped out second hand parts.

your crank/big ends are within tolerances as well?
        As i said newby,
        Mechanic called it a silver coating process? so i'm guessing an over bore was included. If I had the bike here I'd give the labour side of it a go myself.

The sob story is I brought the bike in Ballina (8hrs away) took a mate who knows his Sh!t rode it up there everything was great, trailered it back to Kempsey (5hrs way) got up the next morning took it for a spin (after warming up) and 10 mins in the thing died. Melted rear spark plug whole in the piston blar blar. Took it to the mechanic next day.
        the rest is history.

The whole point of me buying the bike was so I could get my hands dirty with it ride rebuild etc.

so the price he has quote is about right?

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          worth keeping in mind that NEW cylinders are about 650 each.

and they won't have any corrosion in the water galleries, etc - and will be at proper suzuki tolerances.

500 bucks per cylinder, i'd personally buy new ones (and maybe sell the old ones off cheap as suitable for re-plating).
          Thats good advice, Thanks. I was looking for a cheaper option but if thats how much it is then the new option sounds better to me.

Comment

Any ideas on where to get the parts? or has this thread bored everyone to death?

Comment

ebay.co.uk

Comment

oops i missed the 'each' part of $500, thought it was for both

call suzuki dealer and ask them for a quote for two new barrels ect?
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Sound like a plan I'll check Suzuki and also keep an eye out on Ebay UK.
                  thank for the advice.

Comment

Can they be Bored and sleeved? what about a big bore kit or is that going to far to quick. should probably just get it going first, rid it more then start playing with it.

On a separate matter is the Grand Prix version of the rgv anything special? I'm thinking of painting the bike but not sure whether to chance if the version is rare or something? Someone told me this.

Comment

Originally posted by SCR View Post
                      Can they be Bored and sleeved? what about a big bore kit or is that going to far to quick. should probably just get it going first, rid it more then start playing with it.

On a separate matter is the Grand Prix version of the rgv anything special? I'm thinking of painting the bike but not sure whether to chance if the version is rare or something? Someone told me this.
                      the rgv250 does not use steel/iron sleeves, which is why it needs to be plated (nikasil) after a rebore

the yamaha rz250/350 does use steel/iron liners so you can rebore a barrel over and over

an rz 350cc barrel fits directly on an rz250 bottom end- rz350 pistons fit directly to rz250 rods and crank ect

what you are trying to do, it would be easier and cheaper to get rid of the suzuki for $500 and start again with a yamaha

Comment

I was just looking for another option, I've definitely fallen for the RGV. I don't really need to do anything to it. Such a fun bike to ride. thanks again for the info.

Comment

stick with nikasil, it transfers the heat better than steel bores.

$500 each sounds like a price from electrosil or the NZ mob that do the plating. don't get them done by electrosil.

it's about 110 GBP per cylinder plus postage if you go to the uk to get them done

new will be around 650-700 depending on your relationship with the local suzuki dealer

Fixing it is one thing, I would be looking at why my motor blew up before forking over hard earned for a new top end. It takes a fair bit of temperature to melt the plug and piston. Has it killed both cylinders or just the one?

grand prix version? sounds like it's an m model with 'made with the grand prix spirit' or whatever that sticker is, if it is, not really a special thing just a M, but if it is the blue/white model it is often considered the best rgv250 paint scheme.

Comment

Give Two Wheel Wreckers a call, they might be able to help?

Comment

hes in sydney.
                              Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Comment

Working...
                              X