Honda RS250 as a tracbike ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda RS250 as a tracbike ?

Can someone give me an idea of how viable an rs250 would be as a track bike ? I'm looking at buying a bike specifically for trackdays and love the idea of a 250 smoker with some serious nuts. Just don't know anything about how expensive they are to maintain . I will hopefully be doing about 8 trackdays a year. I've seen them for sale recently for between 7500 and 12000. Cheap one was a '96 model and the other a '98 but upgraded. Any help will be appreciated.

If you are just getting a 250 smoker for trackdays why not get an RGV?
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

Comment

a H*nda RS250 IS a track bike. it is a 250cc Grand Prix race bike, purpose-built for circuit - it is not road legal. if you found a RS250 on the road that you want to convert into a track bike, chances are it is an Aprilia RS250 - a 'tweaked' version Suzuki's 2-stroke engine and ignition that went into the RGV250 housed in an Aprilia chassis

if it really is a H*nda RS250, that would be pretty good catch - if you can get it back up and running. they are a lot lighter than proddy 250 strokers, produce more horses and are more likely to do the proverbial 'kill you or make you better' thing that 2-strokes are known for
      Originally posted by Pkunk
      It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/Classifieds!openform

Comment

I've had an rgv in the past and loved it , but an rs250 is a big step up from what I've gathered. The mechanic/owner at Eurotwins in bisbane owned one and I remember him telling me how good it was. I know what they are just don't know if they are ridiculously expensive for rebuilds or how often they're needed. Also the ones I mentioned were supposedly in good nick with many spares.

Comment

Do it!!!

Comment

From what I've heard the TZ250 is a little bit more privateer friendly but the rs is also an amazing machine. I'd go for the newest model of either I could afford. If it's good nick with plenty of spares then I'd jump at it.

Comment

Product or Brand:_Honda RS 250 GP_ * .Description:
                .Honda RS 250 2000Y spec,New crank,ohlins rear sus with alternate springs, honda world quickshifter,detonation counter,kit jha barrels and pipes,modified engine cases,front and rear factory stands,spare wheels with rotors,Bandit tire warmers.spare 2000Y std barrels and pipes,spare fairings.workshop manual (english),complete jetting kit,std rear shock,alternate front springs,complete set of internal gear ratios,complete set of EXTERNAL gearing,new chain,all crash spares required,ect,ect.This bike is imaculate and has been professionally maintained and very fast , comes with everything required for racing including lots of new spares(piston kits,clutch plates ect) the list is to extensive,comes with all data required and help and support on set up and running.For more pics and detailed info contact Chris Wilkie.

FX Classified Ad.

Check the price though.....

Comment

The 96 for $7500 seems like a damn good unit.

Comment

You got it Jules . They were the ones I was thinking of though I was a bit off with the details. I would have to see the bike in person with a race life as long as that. The dearer one doesn't say what year it is just that it is 2000 spec. The cheaper one is 2003 spec and fresh. If it is straight it looks like a good deal.

Anyone got an idea of power and weight ? I'll be in Melbourne in a month so if it is still there I'll take a look. Polished frames make me worry !!

Comment

Love the idea!!

If your going to get a tracker for the occasional blast
                      might as well get something that will scare crap out of you every time!!

Info, not sure what would update through the later years.

2007 Honda RS250R

Comment

Do eeeet! The Honda RS250 and Yamaha TZ250 are basically the big bosses of the 250's nothing bar the GP worked ones will outclass them imo, Power wise they are around 110kg and make ~90bhp

Comment

standard issue will be 85~90hp at the rear wheel and weigh around 104kg. if it is B-kitted or has had some up-spec-ed engine parts, it will put out more. Dani Pedrosa's GP machine (which the RS250 is based on) was apparently putting out close to 120hp at the crank (tho i'll believe it when i see the dyno chart)
                          Originally posted by Pkunk
                          It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

Jules - by christ you're quick - I was just looking at the same page ! They have spares and don't look too expensive at all. 92ps @ 12500rpm. Weight - don't know, guessing around 130kg or so. It seems great performance for the dollar. Up close they are beautiful from what I remember, just not keen on that big honda wing paintjob at the best of times ( SP1 etc stc).

Comment

104 kg's ? I like it !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X