Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Issues

Heya thanks in advance for any info.

So tonight on a ride.. bike was running fine.. after dinner stop it was running very poorly. ended up trailering it home as not wanting to damage anything

when i got it home i noticed to power was very low, dash lights flickering. and the battery having trouble keeping the HID headlight on. will lack of power in the battery / magneto cause the bike to run poorly?

also had the chain/magneto cover off today, to put a chain on. this leads me to believe that something has happened to the magneto maybe when the cover was mounted back on.. and it took that amount of riding to drain the battery thus the poor running of the engine.

Any hints or suggestions of possible things that could be wrong would be greatly appreciated..

will be running a multi meter over the battery and other parts tomorrow and pulling the cover back off.

a couple years ago, i had a similar problem, that something was wrong with the bike because it would just fizzle out (when my RGV was road legal). i changed the battery, and everything came back to life. my dash lights were pretty strong, but clearly, the battery didn't have the juice to drive everything properly while riding. has your bike been standing a while?
    Originally posted by Pkunk
    It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...g-guide-79463/

The guide linked in there should help ya

If you've shorted the stator out, the easiest check would be to disconnect the plug between the stator and the reg/rec, and check for resistance between each wire and earth. Should be no circuit

Comment

try a new battery.
        Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Comment

Ok so this morning, i got the multimeter out, seems the battery has fine power. doesn't explain for the lights issue last night.

So i start ripping things down. checked the plugs, top one seemed a bit black while the bottom one seemed a bit oily?

checked the compression on both cylinders all fine.

put new plugs in just to be safe..

Running the bike again. seems to have power the one thing that happens though.. from idle if i just crack the throttle on it sometimes just bogs down and dies..

if i pulse the throttle a bit at the start just to get it going. its fine and seems to be revving with full power.

there seems to be a little bit of excess oil coming out the top exhaust pipe. (bottom cylinder)

really a bit stumped at this now.

may get a new battery to be safe.. maybe the battery is shit providing a crap spark when the revs are low? thus when revs get higher its fine cause the stator is providing more?

Comment

hmm leaving the ignition on for 5 minutes without the bike running the battery seems to be draining quite a bit. is that common for a battery of this size? or think the battery is screwed.

hopefully it is not the coil pack. really seems to be an excess of oil coming out of the top pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...g-guide-79463/

The guide linked in there should help ya

If you've shorted the stator out, the easiest check would be to disconnect the plug between the stator and the reg/rec, and check for resistance between each wire and earth. Should be no circuit
              Technical Article: Motorcycle Electrical Fault Finding Guide - ElectroSport Industries

Comment

Cheers for the links bendito. seems to be producing charge when running jumps the volts up to 13v - 14v. so i think i can eliminate the charging system

Comment

Battery.

Comment

Plug lead for whichever the top pipe is?

To get the battery tested, take it to a battery or auto electrical place and ask them to load test it

Comment

The battery is only a year old and only had to be recharged once due to lack of use. No harm in trying another I guess.
                      PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

with new battery seems to be running completely fine.. seems even smoother happy days.. least i learnt a few things stripping her down. got a compression check etc =) and new plugs cant hurt. Cheers guys for help.

All ready for my AHG tomorrow

Comment

Nice one.
                          PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

congrats. go for it! :-)
                            Originally posted by Pkunk
                            It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if this problem comes back. I had the same problem with my KR-1S, changed the battery and it was fine. Then the problem returned, turned out to be the stator. Got it re-wired and ran sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X