would you put this in your bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you put this in your bike

just got a top end rebuild kit and one of the pistons has two marks on the edge on a weeks r/r by time i get a new one i will be back at work to put in or not put in that is the ???
    Attached Files

Both pistons will have those marks in them, if you look, they actually have pins inserted into them to locate the open ends of the rings correctly.
    Pop your rings on and spin them until they locate then compress them and insert them with the spring compressor on the bottom of the barrel.
    Also, if your rings come with a "wavey" flat sprung steel ring to go behind them, ditch them.
    They just fall apart and end up in your crankcase.

Comment

Put your glasses on Jim...

It has been dropped maybe and landed on its edge...

Send it back...

Comment

>.<
        (I actually don't have my glasses on )

Comment

I wouldn't, that definitely looks like it's been dropped on the edge there.

I'd take it back and complain.

Comment

You didnt pay for damaged goods mate, take it back.
            Originally posted by Amac
            suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

A fairly normal scenario suggests that whoever you got these off will tell you they aren't made like that and someone has dropped it post manufacture. Don't be surprised if you are asked to wear it regardless of how or when it happened. I have pulled damaged new parts out of the box before too, so I'm certainly not saying you did it...... but I know the shitfight that can follow too. If you have to use them they will be fine as long as you blend the deformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael/ View Post
                I wouldn't, that definitely looks like it's been dropped on the edge there.

I'd take it back and complain.
                Why complain? Why not take it back to where it was purchased and try to sort out an amicable outcome without complaining like a little bitch?

Comment

I too have learnt the lesson Gav and I always open parts boxes in the store nowadays...

Unfortunately you can't do that with internet shopping...

You have to rely on the integrity of the seller...

Comment

Originally posted by GD Engineering (Gavin) View Post
                    If you have to use them they will be fine as long as you blend the deformation.

+1

i would put that piston in my bike.. a little extra forging on that edge will make it stronger
                    Originally posted by Bendito
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I wouldn't personally, simply because i'd know in my mind that its "not right" until i pulled it out.

RGV pistons are cheap (hundred bucks each or something?), and the rest of the rebuild isn't... the the annoyance of knowing it was in my bike for the next 10,000km would be worth paying the money to do it properly...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Just touch it up & ensure that the top ring groove hasn't been deformed (install the ring & make sure it rotates freely with no binding, then check the upper land to make sure that there's no signs of cracking - highly unlikely given the fact that the dent is pretty minor). In the grand scale of things it shouldn't cause you any grief.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

thanks guys got a replacement they had one in stock lucky me don't think they believed me but i didn't do it the marks weren't fresh anyway .they had never seen anything like that before and suzuki QC is first class .so check parts there before you leave .glad i didn't have to use it would have been a worry every time i hit 12 grand cheers

Comment

Good stuff man, mightve been ok, but it's worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.
                            Originally posted by Amac
                            suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Working...
                            X