Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STWTK Do you have friends or just aquaintances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STWTK Do you have friends or just aquaintances?

Food for thought.
    Of the people you think you know well, how many of them would you consider real friends or just aquaintances?
    Recent situational changes have made me wonder.

Somebody let you down, Chief?

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

I've probably got a dozen people that would help me hide a body. I think that's pretty damn lucky.
      such comment
      wow
      many post

Comment

Yep im with cam^^^ lots of shovels and lime makes light work.

Boarding school is an amazing place for those types of friendships.
        Just do it. Seriously, if you look up the standing rules of PSB it goes something like this.

1. Dont be a dick
        2. Desmo is allowed to be a dick (sometimes)
        3. Buy the one with the most Duke
        4. Dont ask about fixing the search function.
        etc etc..

Comment

I have very few friends and aquaintances though my facebook say other wise but I'm more of a loner do most things alone.

Comment

Probably have half a dozen people that I would call true friends, the rest fall in the the 'mates' category. In saying that, I value my mates as much as I do my true friends, I just wouldn't be as upset if when push came to shove we had to go our separate ways.
            We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

About 3 would kill for me with little or no question. (just an expresion )
              There are outhers that are freinds . these are a greater number.
              Many people I know well.
              Few I truly trust. Its often better to know someone than trust them.
              Last edited by shan; 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM.
              REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
              (anarchy in english )

Comment

So how do you really know who are 'mates' and who are friends, or do you wait till push comes to shove and see who stands by you?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTrip View Post
                  So how do you really know who are 'mates' and who are friends, or do you wait till push comes to shove and see who stands by you?
                  I have prob about half a dozen that i would do absolutely anything for and vise versa (this has been proved on several occasions now). Many i class as aquaintances.

Always hard to know which category they fall into hun. Sometimes you think people are true friends and it is only those times when you really need them that you realise they aren't.

Comment

Pritty much
                    Time with people , knowing them . Standing the tests of life and seeing first hand who is really who.
                    There is no magic potion that reveils charecter.
                    Wish there was.
                    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Many Friends, cant count them all!!!!

Comment

With friends, I think you pretty much know from regular interaction, small every day trials and issues. People that will drop anything for you just because they know you would do the same, if you have any doubts at all that they won't be there when push comes to shove they would go into the mates category.

The half dozen or so people I would class as true friends would do anything for me and I would do the same for them, a good "trial" thought would be ending up unemployed/redundant , who would stand by your side doing whatever they can until you got back on your feet? That would be a good start to being put in the true friend category.
                        Last edited by GETAGRIP; 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM. Reason: ...
                        We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

Part 3: Does age matter with friendship?
                          Do you feel that a large age difference makes a matter in true friendship or are your true friends only of your same age group? (i.e. +- 5 years)

Comment

You don't usually. In my experience it's largely up to the people involved. I have several people around me that I consider friends, people I'm comfortable confiding in, some I can even ask for help when I need it. They'll offer before I ask in many cases, these friends differ from acquaintances mainly because they know me, they know my moods, my idiosyncrasies and to a degree how I think and the values I hold. Their approach is often one of making sure that I am sorted, rather than merely some worldly problem that may have popped up. These friends I consider family. Blood is irrelevant.

That said, amongst those friends are people I virtually never speak with any more because our lives have diverged to the point we have little common ground. Outwardly we probably wouldn't be considered friendly, but when it falls apart, they're there even if it's just to keep an eye on me.

Plenty of mates and friends will help you do something or offer advice on what you should do but may not actually subscribe to your particular view of the world or goals. Despite many years of being mates/friends you remain, at your core, two fundamentally different people. Often when these differences come up and they don't show support or disagree with your methods, rationale or actions we're quick to feel a sense of betrayal or feel we overestimated the relationship. In reality it's just a difference in opinion or philosophy where they don't feel comfortable compromising their values or maybe supporting yours.

When this happens I think it's a good time for introspection and maybe re-evaluate a few things and maybe alter your own perspective. If after this you still feel justified in how you feel, than at least you have someone that will voice their disagreement when they think you're embarking upon folly. Sycophants offer nothing but superficial support and enable destructive behaviours.

Then again, sometimes people walk away because they think you're a prick. So it goes.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

I think I have 2 true friends who would do anything for me and I'd do anything for. Another 2 or 3 'friends' who I do consider friends but wouldn't put all that much faith in. The rest are just aquaintances and drinking buddies.
                              Originally Posted by Maxo
                              do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                              to Butters

Comment

Working...
                              X