Polishing carbon fibre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing carbon fibre?

How do they get the final polished finish on carbon fibre? If some parts get lightly scuffed up is there someone that can re-polish them, or a simple process I can diy? Like fabric wheel on bench grinder?
    I used to have a nice sig offering to shadow ppl. Now I have no sig...

If the resin is scratched - you can apply clear nail polish.
    Get a chick to do this... they are skilled.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

HERE
      User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

I saw this last week (skip towards the end). I guess it depends on the type of finish, and how deep the clear coat is.

Originally posted by redfern
        It growls like a horny fat chick, screams like a drunk college floozey on a slingshot at spring break, and handles like mountain goat interbred with a gecko.

Comment

Originally posted by milesiles View Post
          How do they get the final polished finish on carbon fibre? If some parts get lightly scuffed up is there someone that can re-polish them, or a simple process I can diy? Like fabric wheel on bench grinder?
          Dear god, never use mechanical polishing on any composite! The heat generated by the machine can cause delaminations within the matrix.

Provided you haven't scratched through the gelcoat (the clear, hard layer on top) it can generally be saved. Use 2500-3000 grit sandpaper with LOTS of water. A touch of dishwashing liquid can also help prevent the paper clogging and sticking.

Pick a direction of orientation (whatevers convenient). Work the sandpaper gently along that direction for about 5-10 secs. Now rub in a direction 45 degrees from direction of orientation for 5-10 secs. Then move to 90 degrees from direction of orientation and so on. Remember, LOTS of water.

Repeat the process for as long as it take for the scratch to come out, being aware not to 'flatten' your repair. The light will magnify this effect in the finished process.

Once signs of the scratch have been removed, use a plastic safe polish (ie Plexus) to restore a protective coating to the part. Do not use Canuba wax or commercial car polishes. These will damage the finish over time.

If in the process of reomving the scratch you get down to the fibres, stop. You will need to apply new gelcoat to repair the damage. Gelcoat can be bought in small quantities and thinned out with styrene to produce a sprayable mixture suitable for use in a spraypainting gun (be sure to use acetone to clean the gun after, not gunwash thinners).

Lightly scuff the entire piece with 2000 grit paper with lots of water. This gives the gelcoat something to 'cling' to. Dry the part by leaving in the sun for several hours. Take one rag soaked in acetone and a clean dry one. Wipe the acetone onto the part, wipe off with the clean rag. Do not allow the acetone to dry on the part, this will merely spread the contaminents.

Mix a batch of gelcoat and apply in 2 medium coats (gelcoat tends to hold better than paint so you can afford to go a little heavier, but not much). Once its set hard, rub the high spots off with 2000 grit paper. Gradually smooth the gelcoat off with progressively finer sheets of paper, finishing with 3000 grit paper. Use lots of water and a touch of dishwashing liquid with these papers.

Polish the part with Plexus.
          A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

See this is all gold, thank you, but still keen to know if anyone is able to do this locally in Perth as I am very time poor ATM.
            I used to have a nice sig offering to shadow ppl. Now I have no sig...

Comment

Darryl at Universal Plastics in Welshpool. Hes very fastidious. Plus hes the guy I go when I have any problems.

111 Kew St Welshpool.

9361 8316
              A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

re-clearing carbon fiber?

talk to "potato"

straightline2ten.

unit 4 / 6 cleveland street dianella.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Working...
                X