component : opposite of capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• component : opposite of capacitor?

I am after an electrical component which allows current to flow, but after x amount of current flows, it will prevent anymore current from flowing. anyone know the name of such a component?

A capacitor wired in series instead of in parallel?

Need a little more information d0od - what's the application, what's "resetting" this thing, etc...
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

a breaker
      Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

regulator
        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Relay

Comment

fuse
            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
            (anarchy in english )

Comment

if you install the wires on a slight slope, it will slow the current flow a bit.
              Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Resistor........ Tandy has hundreds of types.
                Pillion Power

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
                  fuse
                  This

If you were talking voltage not current, I would say a Zenner Doide.

More info?
                  Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
                    I am after an electrical component which allows current to flow, but after x amount of current flows, it will prevent anymore current from flowing. anyone know the name of such a component?
                    Taser victim?

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                      Taser victim?

But according to that picture, he only got 1 Amp of charge.

Comment

haha

resistor : nope : it limits the amount of current but doesn't stop it.
                        regulator : regulates voltage and will only stop current flow if voltage reaches a predetermined value
                        fuse : limits the amount of current (I'm talking about turning the current flow of after a period of time)

having the wires on a slope might be the best solution!!

Comment

Current flow off after a certain period of time? Capacitor in parallel with a resistor between the base and emitter of an N type IGBT. Pulse the gate high to start the current flow and charge the cap. Current can go through whatever it is you're feeding, through the collector and out to the emitter of the IGBT (emitter tied to ground). It will keep doing this until the resistor has discharged the capacitor to below the hold-on gate-emitter voltage, when the IGBT will shut down.

Could probably do it with an N-channel FET or a darlington NPN-PNP BJT setup too.
                          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

oh god *fish, I just had flashbacks to circuit design at uni in the early/mid 90's. I understood just enough of that to scare myself.

Now I shall go and express these feelings in a Karnaugh map
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Ahhh the memories...

Comment

Working...
                              X