Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWTK: Excessive (?) force when dealing with children.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWTK: Excessive (?) force when dealing with children.

So, after reading this link I found myself not particularly having any issues with the police use of pepper spray in this context.

Article:

US POLICE used pepper spray twice on a Colorado second grader who threatened them with a sharpened piece of wood after teachers called for backup when the boy had a tantrum.

A Lakewood Police report shows the shocking details of the eight-year-old's meltdown at Glennon Heights Elementary, in the US, on February 22, 9News reported.

Teachers were so scared of the boy that they barricaded themselves in a room and called police because he was "spitting" at them and had broken "wood trim off the walls and [was] trying to stab [them] with it."

The report said the boy, identified in the news report as Aidan, told police, "I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them. I was going to try to whack them with it."

The report also said when police arrived Aidan "was holding what looked like a sharpened one-foot stick and he screamed, 'Get away from me you f*ck*rs'."

Police told the boy to drop the stick twice but he refused so officers used two doses of pepper spray to subdue the youngster. He was also handcuffed and later taken to a school for children with behavioral issues.

The boy's mother, Mandy, whose last name was not reported, said police used excessive force on her son. "I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's eight years old," she said. "They walked in, asked him to drop the stick, and then sprayed him with the spray... I think it's excessive."

Mandy said her son was not on any medication and had not been diagnosed with a mental illness.

Lakewood Police spokesman Steve Davis backed the officers' actions, saying it was done to protect the safety of other teachers, students and police at the scene.

"You've got teachers barricading themselves in a room. They are obviously frightened," Davis said. "I think they not only made the right choice, they made a great choice that day to use the pepper spray."
    Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the matter? When dealing with a hostile child, should the officers have attempted to restrain a child who had a makeshift sharp weapon and risk injury to themselves, and potentially more injury to the child, or is reaching for the pepper spray appropriate?

My thoughts:

I don't believe in corporal punishment as such, but I do have strong feelings that when someone's actions pose a risk to others, sometimes they necessitate the use of force.

I'd go further to say if anything, it's the parents who should be getting a face full of pepper spray, not the child (figuratively). If your second grade child is shouting abuse at the police and threatening their peers and teachers with weapons, perhaps there's something you're either doing or not doing that is making your child (who is not on medication and has not been diagnosed with mental illness - so that makes it OK) a danger to society.
    It is never acceptable to use pepper spray on a child, the police should have used other means.
    17.24%
    In this situation the use of pepper spray was appropriate.
    55.17%
    Insufficient force was used. What was wrong with their tasers?
    27.59%

well now that their getting rid of the naughty chair/corner, we'll be facing the same problems here soon.
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

I know that the teachers are probably afraid of the law suit but it's an 8 year old FFS
      It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

once i did some work for a special ed school and it had a padded room for the kids that went mental.
        Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Interesting, subscribed. See I think it only made headlines because of the persons age who was involved.

Police told the boy to drop the stick twice but he refused so officers used two doses of pepper spray to subdue the youngster. He was also handcuffed and later taken to a school for children with behavioral issues.
          Surely they (Police) had tried other avenues as well before going in for the kill?
          BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

From the cops point of view: They are too lazy and full of donuts to risk a physical confrontation with anyone, so rely on weaponry. A nightstick is a bit too brutal, a gun too lethal, taser too risky with a little kid, so I guess pepper spray was about the only option.

Might teach the little shit a lesson in respect.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Pepper spray? No.

Tase him - in the head.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I don't think it is about laziness. When dealing with anything sharp, a 5 year old can still inflict injuries that could see an adult in the best case a little sore and needing a tetanus shot.

Comment

Hmmm Kids with sharp sticks are dangerous.

No more pencils in schools then.

Seriously though second grade is 7 or somthing? I reckon if a seven year old had a machete I would still just walk up take it off him and clip him over the ear so hard he would see stars for a week.

And then when someone bitched about my excessive force I would slap them pver the head even harder, and then if necessary I would slap my way to the white house and become the first non US born president because I will bitch slapped the senator that tries to envoke the us born rule.

I would monkey slap the shit out of Muammar as well. Kick up my slap regime a little for that fucker and end the conflict.
                  My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Should have got the Batten's out. Easy as if the kids got the sharp stick out infront of him you just use the batten to knock it from the kids hands. That or use your own hands to knock it from his hands. Your easily 3 or 4 times is size and 3 or 4 times stronger.

But pepper spray does no lasting damage and its alot better than getting tazed or shot in the guts.
                    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

shoulda just shot him. one less fuckwit growing up to poke sharp sticks at/into everyone to get their wallet/phone/whatever. sharp stick today, gun tomorrow
                      "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Welcome to the world of political correctness. Don't want to punish your kid when they play up? This is what happens. Pepper spray was the correct choice but a phone book to the head would have taught a far better lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamedance View Post
                          Welcome to the world of political correctness. Don't want to punish your kid when they play up? This is what happens. Pepper spray was the correct choice but a phone book to the head would have taught a far better lesson.
                          And they make such a satisfying 'Thwok' sound when applied with enough force

Comment

Originally posted by Guzziboy View Post
                            And they make such a satisfying 'Thwok' sound when applied with enough force
                            Just wait until you're a parent, you wouldn't be so cavalier then!

oh wait...
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

If two grown men can't subdue an eight year old with a stick then hooray cheer the bank robbers.
                              This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                              X