DWTK - D & A Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWTK - D & A Testing

I hear it from a few friends in different industries, to get or keep their job they have to be subjected to random drug and alcohol tests.

DWTK:

Should people in receipt of unemployment benefit be subjected to random drug and alcohol tests along with their other obligations of looking for work to obtain this benefit?

Discuss...

Dubs
    Yes
    70.75%
    No
    29.25%

It's been the standard moan from the FIFO crowd for years.

I suppose the real questions are: is drug/alcohol usage negative affecting people when they are looking for work, and once people are found to be on the gear, and get cut off, are the ramifications better or worse than keeping them on benefits?
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

No, because it's not a workplace safety issue.
      Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Originally posted by The Saint View Post
        No, because it's not a workplace safety issue.
        Neither is whether a mine worker had a cone a month ago, for that matter, but the tests are done in the name of safety.

Drugs shouldn't be illegal, then we wouldn't have to test for illegal drugs, just whether or not a person is fit to do a given job on a given day.

Comment

Originally posted by dirt_infected View Post
          Drugs shouldn't be illegal, then we wouldn't have to test for illegal drugs, just whether or not a person is fit to do a given job on a given day.
          And how do you test for that?

I think they should have to pass drug tests, but then so should pollies and police and fireys etc etc.

Edit: All in the name of safety of course
          Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Waikikamucau View Post
            And how do you test for that?

I think they should have to pass drug tests, but then so should pollies and police and fireys etc etc.

Edit: All in the name of safety of course
            I certainly agree with policemen being drug tested, anyone wielding a weapon at work should have to submit to that.

People on the dole though? Nope.
            Originally posted by Ferris
            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

On one hand it will make potheads and alco's get sober and into work and on the other I think it will make people addicted to harder drugs more inclined to commit crimes to feed their habits.

Edit: I agree with Lefty on the police and believe politicians should undergo testing. The idea of a crackhead at the wheel of a country is a frightening thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonik View Post
                On one hand it will make potheads and alco's get sober and into work and on the other I think it will make people addicted to harder drugs more inclined to commit crimes to feed their habits.
                Valid points here.

Comment

If they were subjected to random drug testing and that forced at least a few to stay off it would that not open up more doors for possible employment for them?

I work in an office and am subject to random drug and alcohol testing due to the related indutry. If I have to give up or limit my lifestyle to work and support my family why shouldnt they be put in the same situation to sit back and do fuck all (or actively seek work whichever the case may be) off the taxes I and others pay?

Comment

Because you can't force people to give up an addiction and it is not going to be an effective solution if it doesn't cover everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonik View Post

Edit: I agree with Lefty on the police and believe politicians should undergo testing. The idea of a crackhead at the wheel of a country is a frightening thought.
                      Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
                      Valid points here.
                      Yes, drug testing certainly works getting people off the gear doesnt it, just ask Ben Cousins who won a brownlow and premiership medal while addicted and being regularly tested.

The simple fact is if these people were drug tested then they may stop taking and consequently stop distributing drugs for the (I hate to use this term) Mr Bigs of the world. This in turn would cut the supply to a lot of middle to upper class drug users who would not have and do not want contact with the "Mr Bigs" but know a dodgy dole bludger they can score off. This would throw the second most profitable business in the free world into chaos and we cant fuck with profits.
                      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I'm not saying you can't function at all in society as a user and Benny had his career and the public to help motivate him to give up. I'm talking more about the average dole bludging meth-head who isn't going to quit just because someone at cennalink has threatened to cut their welfare. I also don't think it will hurt the drug business, where there is a will there is a way and people with money as a motivator can be resourceful.

Comment

I believe it lies somewhere between

What I do in my time off has absolutely nothing to do with, nor is it any business of my employer.
                          -
                          I should not be under the influence of a psychoactive substance & operate machinery or undertake work that may put colleagues at risk of injury.
                          My employer should be able to do anything within their power while I am at work to ensure that people are not at such risk.

Really, if you're on unemployment benefits.. you lie square in the former.

Comment

So who voted yes?

Why yes?

Is it because you don't like your tax payer dollars going to drugs?
                            Originally posted by Ferris
                            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Fuck no my tax payers dollars shouldnt be going to people who are not fullfilling their obligations.

The news yesterday said Centrelink have been penalising jobseekers more this year than ever before, what they didnt say is that penalties are for simple stuff like not going to a meeting or not accepting a suitable job offer.
                              A lot of people just dont want to work and make the decision to live their life on the 'dole' thereby going about their normal partying/living/spending habits from benefits - I dont like it and I dont HAVE to like it.

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X