Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Easter/Anzac Day Weekend...the inequity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Easter/Anzac Day Weekend...the inequity.

Is it just me, or does anyone feel a little strange that this weekend we spend four days celebrating the resurrection of one fictitious 2000 year old hippy who, as the tale goes, gave his life for us..... and yet we spend one day celebrating the lives and recent sacrifice of thousands of real people that actually gave their lives for us.

?

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Well I don't celebrate zombie jesus weekend at all, but if I was religious, I'd probably see the ressurection of Christ as one of the most important events in the history of the world (which is 4000 years old or so), so it would make more sense to celebrate that more.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

As an employer yes. I hate pee holes.

Comment

Stop complaining and go relax in Denmark with your family..
        c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

It does piss me off. According to some recent study/random number generator, ~55% of Australians are non-religious. Everyone I know says they have great respect for the ANZAC tradition and legacy. We'll see how many people have more respect for chocolate than real people.

I also hate zombie jesus because I have to work in the supermarket this saturday instead of going camping with my mates for the weekend, where I fully intended to wake them up with my bugle on ANZAC day.

The one good thing about easter each year is Curtin physics' zombie jesus parade.

Comment

There's a religious undertone for this weekend? I thought it was about gorging on chocolate
            Originally posted by vk6hgr
            My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

I dont see it as celebrating four days for Jesus, I see it as celebrating 4 days off work.
              Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

+1, i hate the idea of a royal family and monarchy, yet i'll gladly take a day off in the bitch's honour :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                  I dont see it as celebrating four days for Jesus, I see it as celebrating 4 days off work.
                  Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                  +1, i hate the idea of a royal family and monarchy, yet i'll gladly take a day off in the bitch's honour :-)
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

We dont celebrate anzac day, its a day of remembrance..
                    'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is to get permission..

Comment

Pfft I'm not interested in religious claptrap, 5 day weekend as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that concerns me is recognising ANZAC day and to that I shall be raising a glass at the appropriate time :aus-salute:

Comment

Anzac day is the only holiday that means anything, all the othets are just extra days off, or double time and a half (yes australia day, im looking at you..). In fact cant they move one meaningless holiday to remembrance day? This would be more appropriate than some of the other excuses we have.

Hang on.. Move aust day to 1 jan (date of federation) and give us a day off for remembrance day(11/11) id vote for that..
                        'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is to get permission..

Comment

Originally posted by NanoBear View Post
                          It does piss me off. According to some recent study/random number generator, ~55% of Australians are non-religious. Everyone I know says they have great respect for the ANZAC tradition and legacy. We'll see how many people have more respect for chocolate than real people.
                          That's a bit silly. How are you going to judge whether "people have more respect for chocolate than real people"??? By the number of people who turn up for the dawn service? Do you only have respect for the ANZAC's if you go to the dawn service?

I don't really see the point in any comparison between ANZAC day and Easter. They have nothing at all to do with each other, the only link is that because of how unusually late Easter is this year, the dates coincide.

The idea that we need the tuesday off as well is just bizarre.

Comment

ANZAC day & Rememberance day always make me sad.

Jesus (apparently) gave his life, but quite frankly if I had a direct line to God and he told me I'll be back right after and will be worshipped forever, then c'est la vie - I'll take the brief moment of death for the eternity of 'god-ness'.

Our ANZACS had no such guarentees, and were sent to their deaths by generals safe behind lines.

Maybe if Jesus (who had no idea he was the son of God) spent 3 months in a muddy bog with a severe case of trench-foot before being forced to march into a line of machine gun fire from the hun and then magically rose from the dead 3 days later I'd think differently about it.
                            Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                            Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

"Ishtar", which is pronounced "Easter" was a day that commemorated the resurrection of one of their gods that they called "Tammuz", who was believed to be the only begotten son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.

In those ancient times, there was a man named Nimrod, who was the grandson of one of Noah's son named Ham.

Ham had a son named Cush who married a woman named Semiramis.Cush and Semiramis then had a son named him "Nimrod."

After the death of his father, Nimrod married his own mother and became a powerful King.

The Bible tells of of this man, Nimrod, in Genesis 10:8-10 as follows: "And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad,and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
                              Pah, I get to enjoy 10 days of relaxation because 64% of our country believe in imaginary friends.

I won't attend an easter service.
                              I will attend an Anzac service.

Comment

Working...
                              X