Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BFWTK: what happens if Perth Airport is closed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFWTK: what happens if Perth Airport is closed.

This is really off topic, but looking out the window at a large bushfire off to the north got me thinking. What would happen if for some reason Perth airport was closed. Is there anything nearby that could handle the larger jets, such as 747's or A340's? I'm guessing Pearce might be able to cope at a pinch (but are there protocols for immigration etc?), or they would try to divert to other airports.

Then I got thinking about the flights I did from Africa, 12 hours over water. Where would they go if say 8-9 hours into the flight there was a crash at Perth? I seriously doubt they'd carry enough fuel to return to Johannesburg.

Thoughts like this remind me of just how isolated we really are. Any aviation nerds care to put my mind at ease?

Slلinte!
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Exmouth can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it, it's an ex-U.S. runway and is only 90 minutes out of Perth.

Comment

Port Headland has an international airport. but thats a massive diversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
        Exmouth can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it, it's an ex-U.S. runway and is only 90 minutes out of Perth.
        um....did you just say Exmouth is 90 minutes out of perth

Comment

Surely pearce could handle big planes.

It looks shorter than perth on google maps but planes can stop in quite a short distance if they need to.

Don't they only use like 80% of power to take off anyway?
          Wes

Comment

90 minutes flight time is what Desmo means.
            A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

The big plains from Africa and such will always carry enough fuel to get to the nearest suitable Airport.

In this case probably Adelaide.
              My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I remember being bused to Geraldton once to get to Derby as the Traffic Controllers were on strike and Perth was out of action, either 1975 or 77. Have also stopped at Learmonth (Exmouth) due to inclement weather in Perth.

A plane had to land after take off this a.m. due to a loud bang and a failure in one engine.
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlen View Post
                  um....did you just say Exmouth is 90 minutes out of perth
                  By plane, yes.
                  We are talking about aircraft here, right?

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
                    The big plains from Africa and such will always carry enough fuel to get to the nearest suitable Airport.

adelaide? no way.
                    there are a few international airports up (and down) the coast.

Comment

Learmonth (Exmouth) is from what I have been told the emergency airport for Perth.
                      If at first you don't succeed, dont bother taking up sky diving.
                      This unit is portable when carried.
                      it wasn't a normal cookie, i figured that out 45 minutes into my exam.

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
                        No way, Learmonth (Exmouth) can take the B-52 and the C-5 Galaxy, no reason they would go to Radelaide.

Comment

Learmonth airport (Exmouth) is the alternate airport.
                          When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

That is one beast of a plane. ^^^

Iv heard that some of the larger planes can take off on a shorter run way than the smaller planes ?? Not sure about landing however.
                            A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

*edit*

nevermind

Comment

Working...
                              X