Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTWTK: Buying a car/bike interstate and driving it over

Hey guys & gals,

So I'm pretty keen on buying a car and over east is ridiculously cheaper than over here for most of the types of cars that I'm looking at and I'll most likely be driving it back over here.
    I've done a few google & forum searches and from what I can find so far. I'll use QLD as an example..

1.) Stamp duty is ALOT cheaper (ie QLD $800 compared to $3000 here) - if I pay stamp duty in QLD do I need to pay it again in WA or is it as simple as taking it over the pits and getting new plates?

2.) Can a QLD transfer of ownership form be done if my address is in WA or will the car need to be deregistered in QLD and then re registered in WA?

3.) From what I understand on the WA DPI site you need a temporary move permit to drive a car with interstate plates UNLESS the car has been in your name in the original state for atleast 12 months, is this true?

4.) A followup to 3.. Will it void my insurance unless I have a temporary move permit for each state I drive through? This could be an issue because I don't want to hit a roo and have insurance turn me down..

Any other tips or links to useful info will be appreciated, has anyone done this before without any issues?

Cheers!
    Graham
    Straight roads are for fast bikes - corners are for fast riders!

Paging Ryven...
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

I bought a QLD car a few years ago (and it will still pay to check with DPI), and you cannot transfer the QLD rego if you are from WA. You buy it unlicenced and have to register it from scratch in WA. This means WA stamp duty.
      Last edited by darkfibre; 24-10-2011, 07:24 PM. Reason: grammar
      Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
        I bought a QLD car a few years ago (and it will still pay to check with DPI), and you cannot transfer the QLD rego if you are from WA. You buy it unlicenced and have to register it from scratch in WA. This means WA stamp duty.
        Cheers, so I guess that means that if I do buy a car from over east the seller just de-rego's it and I rego it in WA. If they leave it registered in their name for x amount of days it takes me to drive back to Perth and I have fully comp insurance then it should be covered I assume, but will check with the insurance company.

Sucks about the stamp duty.. I don't know where I got my figure from in the OP but I checked another calc and for WA a $37k car is $1698.90 - QLD is $740. Not as big of a difference, but it'd be nice if I could pay the stamp duty in QLD, oh well

Comment

My business partner does this all the time. I don't think she's bought a car in WA for years. Yes, she pays stamp duty - but she's found the differential in price (much cheaper over there) more than covers that, even with the shipping costs.
          "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

I bought my Monaro in Sydney, I tried VERY hard to transfer it in NSW but I needed proof of residence and a NSW licence, so I had to do it here and cost me a couple of grand more

Comment

Yeah, it's crazy the difference in price over east, much more variety there aswell.

Comment

I brought a VX Calais privately in ACT, flew over & drove it back to WA (rang my insurance company, they covered it for the drive back to WA).
                Including costs of one-way flights for myself & brother & fuel, still saved around $2500.
                Couldn’t transfer the vehicle into my name as yes had to prove I lived there (home address/ mail etc). But I made sure that I had proof of purchase for the journey home (just in case we got pulled over).
                Other states transfer papers mean nothing here too. Need a full receipt with plate/VIN/ engine numbers & purchase price.
                Even if you did manage to transfer it into your name in QLD, the vehicle will still need to have an inspection (go over the pits) to license it in WA (need to own/prove it for 12mths or more too void WA transfer/inspection fees).

Comment

Working...
                X