Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n8WTK: How to waterproof a colorbond shed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n8WTK: How to waterproof a colorbond shed?

Hi peoples,

Earlier this year I bought 2mx3m flat pack colorbond shed and put it up on a 100mm concrete slab. It was pretty cheap and nasty but it does the job as a storage shed to keep the garage free for bikes.

The only problem is when it’s windy and rainy (most of the past 2 months), the rain hits the walls, runs down and fills the channel at the bottom of the wall sheet which makes a puddle inside. My other Stratco pool shed does the same thing but it's on pavers and water seems to soak in rather than form a puddle.

I have sealed between the shed and the slab with silicon but it’s the channels that fill with water and overflow inside. One thought is to fill all the channels with silicon, but that would take a lot of silicon...

Any ideas?

Drill holes in the channels?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Comment

Crude, but use expanding foam instead?

You could also get some closed cell foam strip which is precut into a trimdeck profile (comes in 1m lengths), stuff that in on the outside channel side and silicone around the edges.

You could also cut some slots out of the channel to allow the water to flow away freely. However, if the slab doesn't slope (I doubt it does), then you'll just have a puddle forming on the outside of the shed. If your siliconing on the inside is up to scratch, then no water would get in with this method.
      Originally posted by slipin
      IF ITS TO LOWED ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

Thanks guys

As for drilling holes or cutting slots, that should work as the edge of the slab is very close so the water won't really puddle, although it will become a rust location so I'd have to paint the bare metal.

This foam strip you speak of sounds interesting... Is that found at Bunnings or Stratco?

Comment

Parfix 340g Triple Expanding Foam Filler I/N 1232844 | Bunnings Warehouse
          Originally posted by Bendito
          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Whorehouse.

This Stuff

Usually used underneath roofing sheets to block out wind/rain that comes in through gap between batten and sheet.

Available in both a positive and negative form. One or the other (I think the negative) will work in your case.

As for cutting slots, a quick squirt of cold gal over the edges will fix the job. If you wanted to get tricky, just chip out a small bevel into the concrete pad where the slots/holes would be, allowing the water a path to flow away freely.
            Last edited by stoner; 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM.
            Originally posted by slipin
            IF ITS TO LOWED ! YOUR TOO OLD

Comment

Or try gripset 51 and a paintbrush. Or give flashtac a go (aluminium flashing with bitumen backing).
              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Flashing on the bottom might be better than stuffing the channel. Thin, easily bendable aluminium sheet (like a thick alfoil). run a bead of silicone, attach this stuff and give your shed a "skirt".
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Sillic**t is your friend. If in doubt, Sillic**t.
                  Ever looked in the dumpster on construction sites? Thousands of empty Sillic**t tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                    Flashing on the bottom might be better than stuffing the channel. Thin, easily bendable aluminium sheet (like a thick alfoil). run a bead of silicone, attach this stuff and give your shed a "skirt".
                    This.

300mm alcor flashing, bend it around the bottom. Silicone it up. Buy it from bunnings in the hardware section. Around $30 for the 10m rolls.

Careful though, the cut ends get insanely sharp.

Comment

Get your vice grips and bend three or more points of the channel down so the water flows out. My next tin shed will be on a concrete base with about 150mm concrete over size of the base dimensions all round with a mild drainage angle. The shed will be mounted on a single line of solid bricks cemented to the concrete and silconed to the shed base channel. The door/s will be modified to suit....I will also be bending the 'u' edging as stated to drain any water away. Also I will seal all the screws on the roof...wonder if there is a higher pitched roof available on the 3mtr by 5/6mtr ones?
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

I filled the channel with bitumen paint. Solved 80% but still leaked and found it was a capillary action where the sheets join also letting it in. Light bead of silicon up these helped as well.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Working...
                        X