MMWTK- Are you addicted to facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMWTK- Are you addicted to facebook?

On Triple J's Hack program last night there were talking about peoples addictions to social media Facebook in particular and how recently there has been a clinical scale developed top measure someones addiction to social media.

So would anyone here class themselves as Addicted to FB or other social media Twitter, PSB?

Personally when i get to work one of the first things i do is open FB and PSB tabs, then check emails and load up works sales invoiceing program. When i'm at home doing nothing or just watching TV i will usually be scrolling FB or PSB on my phone. Although if i am busy in the garage, garden or out doing something on the weekend i generally ignore computers/phone in general.

Recently i have been considering deleting FB all together, but it has become such a major part of how i stay in contact with people. Family and close mates i still contact via sms/phone or see in person. But it is my wider group of mates or 2nd and 3rd teir mates (people who i might only share one interest with or who are mates of mates) who i would loose contact with. But it seems these days most social gatherings of even my close friends and family, dinners, parties, rides and weekends away are organised over FB, people update important life moment over FB (engagements and babies has been a common one recently). I feel if i removed myself from FB completly i would start to miss out on alot of this stuff.

I have also started trying to make a concious effort to leave my phone in my pocket when out with friends ie: pub, meals, burning stuff. Its not that friends where boring it just got to a stage when the conversation would stop for a minute everyone would be straight on their phones checking FB or Twitter. Became apparent usually after a LNR sitting at the pub with 10 or so ppl at the table and 8 or 9 of them would have their phones out.
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

I disabled my FB account for a week or two, and it took me a few days to get over the "get your phone out, unlock it, go to click the button" thing that you do whenever you have a bored moment, but it really, really didn't bother me after that.

Unfortunately it's almost a necessary evil these days for communicating with friends and teeing up events. I know you can call, but no one calls you to let you know, they just put up an event and send you an invite. I kind of had to re-enable for that reason, it became a burden to ask other people to check for me, or keep me in the loop via other means.

Edit: To answer your original question, I dunno? I guess, less than most though?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
      I disabled my FB account for a week or two, and it took me a few days to get over the "get your phone out, unlock it, go to click the button" thing that you do whenever you have a bored moment, but it really, really didn't bother me after that.

Unfortunately it's almost a necessary evil these days for communicating with friends and teeing up events. I know you can call, but no one calls you to let you know, they just put up an event and send you an invite. I kind of had to re-enable for that reason, it became a burden to ask other people to check for me, or keep me in the loop via other means.

Edit: To answer your original question, I dunno? I guess, less than most though?
      ^ pretty much what lee said.

Plus when you disable it, lee puts up photos (that you don't know about) of you making poo faces while drinking.

Comment

Facebook, what's that? Don't use it, never have and never considered it. Don't get on any of the things like Twitta, Myface or whatever it is either, if I want to keep in touch with someone I'll do it the old fashion way ie phone or email, fuck I don't even text unless I have to reply to one from the missus etc
        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Was. Deleted about a year and a half ago. Now have so much more time in my life.

Comment

Yeah I've disabled it before. Once you do it, it's pretty easy to ignore it from then on in. Like anything you get initial withdrawal symptoms but you get used to not having it. Just disable it, give yourself a break from it then go back to it. It's good to have a break.

People getting their phones out in social situations is not not necessarily an addiction thing, I think it's a social security blanket.
            Vid below illustrates why we don't live in the moment - people are too preoccupied taking pics to post showing other people they're having a good time, and posting check-ins at pubs etc to again, show others they're living the life (but you don't check-in at the doctors, work etc, thus posts and check-ins are one-dimensional). I'm no angel but when you're in someone's one-on-one presence, get off your fucking phone.

Comment

Yep...

I'm addicted to see what people are eating and drinking...

Seriously, what is it with that?

I can pretty much tell you what WIGARUS's diet was for the last two week...

Comment

I have deleted it twice, for up to 6 months, but come crawling back since it is the only way everyone in my social circle invites people to events.

I use Instagram more than PSB/Facebook etc. I follow all my favourite professional surfers/bodyboarders, some of whom are friends, so I can see some amazing desinations and waves. I get a lot more out of it than any other social media.

Not addicted however, as I often purposely leave my phone at home when going surfing/taking the dog for a walk/outing with the missus.

My missus and her friends though, definitely addicted, but they are all 18-21 so i presume will outgrow it.

Comment

I check FB, but it is rare I post anything, and very rare I post a status update...

I wear out the new posts button on PSB...

Comment

I have a compulsive attachment to the f5 key which takes up an embarrassing amount of my life. It's a hard cycle to break that's not helped by being in a long distance relationship.

If it weren't for my fiancee I just wouldn't jump on the computer of an afternoon...
                    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
                    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

one of the things mentioned in the Triple J the other day was the amount of people actually deleteing FB was nearly as big as the number signing up.
                      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I look at it most days, rarely post anything unless its a shit stirring remark. Mrs has become more addicted to it lately but some of our "older" friends are even worse.......50 odd year old women that cant put their phones down for a second.

Comment

Hell no,

Used it to bang sluts years ago, Not as good as myspace was for the same thing but hey it worked plenty.

Its not till you don't have it that you can blatantly see how consumed people around you are by it and tbh its fucking annoying, Half way through dinner or a conversation with friends and they basically throw there plate across the restaurant to check what it was someone just liked or posted, then that turns into a half hour ordeal while they scroll through pages of useless bullshit.

Sure it has its perk's i.e the sluts as mentioned before, advertising (because everyone will read and believe anything they read there) But its certainly got alot of people by the fucking balls !

I cant even imagine the amount of time people waste through out a day or a week swiping through pages of turd on there phone.

Its pretty good at fucking people's jobs and relationships too apparently as i keep hearing from everyone, Like its all FB fault and in no part their's.

The one major pro of facebook is at least Every thing you read on FB is always of 100% truth, so its not like your reading peoples crack story's or plea to try and be cool to get more FB friends

My 2 cents

GIXXEN Likes This
                          2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                          2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                          2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                          2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                          2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                          2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

I probably check it out a few times a day but use it more as a messenger service, where there is internet but no phone reception.

Keeping in touch with a mate on some station in the middle of the NT rebuilding a D10 by himself has been enjoyable this week.

Beyond that I don't bother other than checking events and the occasional comment on someone else's post.
                            In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

I find it useful to see what the mates I left behind in the UK 37 years ago are up to.

Mostly the same old crap they were doing in 1976.
                              They seem happy enough in their own little world. I guess they are too set in their ways to do anything else.

I think I'll settle here in Perth if that's alright with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X